Black Monday - How many?

Golfman

15 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You've already predetermined you are right. You will just twist the outcome to suit your narrative. 

Come on, man.  Let it go.  We’ve been getting along.  Lazard is better than you suggest, worse than I suggest.  I’ve got enough people who hate me and try to nip at my heels.  Let’s just get back to being cordial again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Come on, man.  Let it go.  We’ve been getting along.  Lazard is better than you suggest, worse than I suggest.  I’ve got enough people who hate me and try to nip at my heels.  Let’s just get back to being cordial again.

Fair enough! My apologies! I appreciate you calling me out. There was no point in my posting that! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'll type this and McCarthy will be hired 5 minutes after I hit enter but...

...I predict Mike gets passed over this head coaching cycle.

And it wouldn't surprise me if he never gets another NFL head gig, but I'm not quite ready to make that call definitively yet.

I actually have to agree with this. His fate was sealed when he got fired given that he was the first coach the organization fired mid-season.

*Note: Ray Ronzani is the only other Packer coach to leave the team during the season and he resigned with two games left in the 1953 season that the Packers promptly lost with two different head coaches running the show.

18 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And it wouldn't surprise me if he never gets another NFL head gig, but I'm not quite ready to make that call definitively yet.

I bet he gets a job.

52 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'm going to be surprised if he gets a job.  I'll be both surprised and happy.

He has to overcome a lot in that interview process that other guys won't have to address.  Namely the lack of post season success with Prime Aaron Rodgers and the fact that a rookie coach came into GB and promptly won 13 games.  

Sure there are the free agents that helped...and obvious health, but that turnaround will be something owners and GM's will consider.

MLF wins 6-8 games and it's a different narrative.  IMHO.

I think he gets a job.

The whole “I’ve been gathering a team and pouring over film during my time off” produced a bunch of eye rolls from fans but owner types love that ****. 

The bloom is off the young guy coach rose after Rams performance this year. 

The Pittsburgh bravado interviews very well to football guys. I still cringe a bit with every MLF stuttering PC or locker room speech. 

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Carolina would be a good fit for McCarthy.  Media would eat him up in NY .. Cleveland just seems like loserville.

I disagree. The NY media is pretty heady - but if a guy like Aaron Boone - as even keeled and mild mannered as you'll find - can handle the media attention he gets (which is massive and pressurized) - MM would do fine. Get the team flying right - no drama's or "player personality" issues/stories - not a problem.

A few here might be surprised at how much of a stink of underachievement there is for McCarthy league-wide for not doing more with the bulk of Aaron Rodgers career. We lamented for years about lack of evolution of scheme and that's very real. Opposing players joking about calling out the Packers' plays before they were run was not lost on league owners and GMs. It's why McCarthy is making a concerted effort to sell himself as someone who took the year off and reinvented everything. Maybe the sales pitch he's making through the media will work but I think NFL people will look at it with the same skepticism and cynicism that I do.

The longer he's off the sidelines, the less likely he lands a top job. If it doesn't happen this year, his chances take a big dip. The league is obsessed with youth and innovation and that's a lot for McCarthy to overcome.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

A good barometer for how the league views McCarthy is how he was never touted as one of the top coaches despite having one of the top winning percentages throughout his career. Prior to his final two season in GB, McCarthy trailed only Belichick in W/L% yet rarely was in the conversation as an elite HC. That's the Aaron Rodgers effect and it hasn't gone away. He carries the stigma that his success was due to a HOF QB in a way that other head coaches with HOF QBs don't get penalized for. The perceived lack of innovation further hinders him.

• Like 1

I wonder if the season Rodgers had this year sort of helped perception of McCarthy a bit. He put up basically the same numbers as last year when most folks were blaming McCarthy's offense and Rodgers being "fed up" with things. The offensive issues couldn't all just be placed on McCarthy and his scheme after what we just witnessed this year

Speaking of, looks like he's going to speak with Dallas

So, to get this straight, are they legit interviewing McCarthy for the job....while Garrett is still there and still technically the HC? God bless the Cowboys and Jerry Jones

• Like 1