2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

18.5mill if we couldn’t trade him

Jesus that’s high. I thought maybe if we franchised him and then looked to extend to give ourselves a better chance at retaining him...or failing that maybe trading him. Problem is if we do neither then we are on the hook for $18.5m 

7 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Jesus that’s high. I thought maybe if we franchised him and then looked to extend to give ourselves a better chance at retaining him...or failing that maybe trading him. Problem is if we do neither then we are on the hook for $18.5m 

That is the purpose of exclusive F tag toward players.   One expensive year or multi year deal.

Keep it in mind, 2020 salary cap will be set by this weekend or next.  Right now, we use 200m (196-201m) but it may be pushed higher after the upcoming CBA meeting.

18.077m is non exclusive franchise tag ala tag and trade. Use that number to keep salary cap in real order until April 17. About 5m difference in salary cap. That is laughable.

Edited by JetsandI

4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I think we’re gonna prioritize OL and CB, think JD might believe that our Defense could improve tremendously if we can improve our CB play. Not too keen on Jones though.

The Jets are setting themselves up for one priority addition on the offensive line and one on defense. I think it’s going to be the most offensive-heavy draft in quite some time. 

Also, important for the Jets RE: draft positioning- there are reports that the Panthers and Chargers are discussing a deal for Russell Okung. This would indicate they’re prepared to move Greg Little inside to G, which could explain why they’re considering trades for Trai Turner. Seems a bit odd of a fit, but Jets fans should be rooting for it to happen. 

OL and CB are the highest priorities for Jets but I don't know how will Jets address those spots.    I would be comfortable if Jets managed to score CB via FA.  As for OL, half via FA and half via draft would be ideal.

Chargers' potential to draft OT becomes stronger after trading Okung away.  Still 2 top OLs that will be goners by 11.   Eying on Redskins' Trent Williams' situation and trying to figure out Browns' plan for OT.  Those teams may shake up the OT plan for Jets.

16 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Chargers' potential to draft OT becomes stronger after trading Okung away.  Still 2 top OLs that will be goners by 11.   Eying on Redskins' Trent Williams' situation and trying to figure out Browns' plan for OT.  Those teams may shake up the OT plan for Jets.

Yes but they also need a QB... I think there will be 2 off the board when we pick, but I see us coming away with the 3rd. Entirely possible we trade up to 9 if our guy is there. The Jets 1st, 2021 3rd, and 4th likely gets it done. 

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Free agency notes on the top OL available.... 

Joe Thuney: 

Cincinnati has picked up a lot of steam among the agent community because he's from Ohio (not far outside of CIN), his entire family and many friends are still located there, and word is the team is angling to do some major retooling along their OL in free agency. He's going to get paid no matter where he goes, so he needs to decide where he wants to settle more than anything... he's an extremely thoughtful and cultured guy. He comes from a family of scholars and he is one himself, so his decision won't be as simple as "money" or "winning"... He wants to be in the right situation, the right city, the right environment, where he can live out his life in addition to football. He likes to travel and has a lot of interests, but also values living somewhere that he can feel at home. Had been dating someone in Boston, but the relationship ended late last year, meaning one less strain on his decision, but he would like to return if the option is there. There was a report out that there were "20 teams" interested in him, but narrowing down the teams willing to make him the highest paid G in the league is more difficult. Mentioned the Bengals, and the expectation is the Browns will be in on him as well. There's plenty who think he'd welcome a return to North Carolina (went to NC State), and the Panthers are expected to be interested. We already know about Miami, and they will be in on him. One interesting Jets-related connection: Nick Mangold is from the same town and went to his high school (1998-2002) and naturally, was considered a legend by the time Thuney attended in 2007. Mangold's still an ambassador for the team, and it would only seem logical the Jets are hoping he can help recruit Joe Thuney and sell him on the benefits of being in NJ/NY. 

Graham Glasgow: 

The Jets are going to put a full court press on him. His personality is going to mesh with everyone within the Jets power-structure - he's one of those comical/jokester guys with a similar personality to Joe Douglas, but will come in, work hard, and earn everyone's respect. He and his wife just got married last week after having a very long engagement, so they are ready for a new city where they can build a new home. The only concern with him is that he's going to have a ton of suitors. He's from Illinois and both her and his wife have family in Chicago. The Bears have gotten an up close look at him over the years and have a need, so you worry that if the money is even he could lean in that direction. 

Jack Conklin: 

He wants to return to TEN, but it's just not practical. He's expected to land a crazy deal - something around $18-20 million per year - so all bets are kind of off. Continue to hear the Vikings may pull something out of their *** and make a move, which would mean Riley Reiff would come available and O'Neill would shift to the left. Won't rule out the Jets just yet, but I don't get the sense the Jets are willing to spend that kind of money on him.  

Andrus Peat: 

Watch for the Chargers or Rams. 

My friend is saying that Peat is being considered at LT/LG, which would suggest that he may still be in the cards for the Chargers after today’s trade. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Just get one of Conklin or Thuney and one of Fowler or Clowney

Im starting to lean more towards the guys that will be in the 2nd wave of FA, and thus will be cheaper.   Give me Glasgow and McGovern over Thuney for a better price.   I'd consider Fowler over Clowney because Clowney is going to get PAID.

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Im starting to lean more towards the guys that will be in the 2nd wave of FA, and thus will be cheaper.   Give me Glasgow and McGovern over Thuney for a better price.   I'd consider Fowler over Clowney because Clowney is going to get PAID.

I want Fowler more. He was a beast last season and I think hes coming into his own.

There is a reason why Jamal Adam's FA wishlist are edge rushers, he knows our defense needs to get better at pressure. 

I'd be excited if we could land McGovern, Glasgow, and Fowler.  Then draft a OT round 1. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion: I’d rather pay G Thuney $18-20 million per year than T Conklin. Adding either would be a huge boost, but Thuney is a better fit across the board. Better player at his respective position, more versatile (played all 5 OL spots in college), more durable, less penalized... tackle is no doubt a more important position, but elite tackles don’t get to FA. There’s a reason Conklin is available. It would be a massive overpay (highest paid G is making $14m per), but I’d feel much more comfortable paying him than paying Conklin, who is more of a projection and has greater bust potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Unpopular opinion: I’d rather pay G Thuney $18-20 million per year than T Conklin. Adding either would be a huge boost, but Thuney is a better fit across the board. Better player at his respective position, more versatile (played all 5 OL spots in college), more durable, less penalized... tackle is no doubt a more important position, but elite tackles don’t get to FA. There’s a reason Conklin is available. It would be a massive overpay (highest paid G is making $14m per), but I’d feel much more comfortable paying him than paying Conklin, who is more of a projection and has greater bust potential.

I’d be happy with overpaying either of them.

I’m not saying this would be a smart team building scenario, but just imagine how good of a madden team the Jets would be in this scenario: 

• Totally rebuild the OL with free agents. Sign a premier interior OL, a T (or 2), and a depth guy. 
  • Sign a major CB/EDGE in FA 
  • Draft WR Henry Ruggs, WR KJ Hamler, and a C with top 3 picks

QB: Darnold 

RB: Bell 

TE: Herndon 

WR: Ruggs 

WR: Crowder 

WR: Hamler