2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

7 hours ago, rampantjet said:

He's below average??  Here graded out at an 82 on pff last year.   That's basically an elite LT.  Not sure how long he can keep that up since he's old as dirt,  but he was much better than bellow average last year. 

I mean at worst for 2020.  He has dealt with injury and aging.  That suggests I can live with Peters' unforeseeable decline rather than Beachum.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we need top talent (yes even vets) now. To make sure we make Darnold a franchise QB. Protect him and give him weapons now. If he proves to be GREAT over the next couple years... pay him then we can starting now worrying about what around him “as much”

Exactly.   Darnold needs to develop into a reliable "now".  Signing FA doesn't cancel OL plan at #11.  Draftees and future kids can root into the ground behind veterans to stabilize OL for long time.  

Peters and Williams can give us 2 or 3 seasons before kids step up into their void for cheaper as Darnold readily collects big paycheck. 

Talent, Finance and Growth.

• Like 3

Im not against rolling with Basham as one of our Starting Edge rushers next year, played extremely well in his role last year and think he could continue to improve and be a nice complementary Pass rusher.

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Im not against rolling with Basham as one of our Starting Edge rushers next year, played extremely well in his role last year and think he could continue to improve and be a nice complementary Pass rusher.

The problem is defensively we don’t have a finisher. Basham is more in the mold of Jenkins IMO. 

Q developing into a Donald/Cox type on the interior could be crucial. 

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The problem is defensively we don’t have a finisher. Basham is more in the mold of Jenkins IMO. 

Q developing into a Donald/Cox type on the interior could be crucial. 

I agree with this at edge. We don’t have a pass rush presence teams have to prepare for.

And Q won’t ever be an elite pass rusher. That’s why I hated the pick and still do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with this at edge. We don’t have a pass rush presence teams have to prepare for.

And Q won’t ever be an elite pass rusher. That’s why I hated the pick and still do.

I still think Q will be a good player but I struggle to see him get to that Level. We should have taken Josh Allen or if we had our heart set on taking an Interior DL Ed Oliver.

50 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I still think Q will be a good player but I struggle to see him get to that Level. We should have taken Josh Allen or if we had our heart set on taking an Interior DL Ed Oliver.

I want to laugh at every single person on here that said go “bpa” over the last God knows how many years and have applauded our picks bc of it. When none of them have turned out good. Yet this year say go OT or WR and ignore BPA (bc if we don’t draft Jeudy or Lamb over an OT we didn’t go BPA). Little late to the party that I’ve been screaming for years. It’s the same people that have said keep drafting defense if that’s BPA. And are now screaming that we need to pretty much only draft offense this year.

Well if we would have used some 1st through 3rd rounders on offense over the last decade... we wouldn’t be in the scenario. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I want to laugh at every single person on here that said go “bpa” over the last God knows how many years and have applauded our picks bc of it. When none of them have turned out good. Yet this year say go OT or WR and ignore BPA (bc if we don’t draft Jeudy or Lamb over an OT we didn’t go BPA). Little late to the party that I’ve been screaming for years. It’s the same people that have said keep drafting defense if that’s BPA. And are now screaming that we need to pretty much only draft offense this year.

Well if we would have used some 1st through 3rd rounders on offense over the last decade... we wouldn’t be in the scenario. 

I still think that Q is going to be a better all around player than Oliver.  He was dealing with nagging injuries, missed some games, was tasked with playing a ton of 2 gap responsibilities, and wasn't surround by as much talent as Oliver.  I didn't pay a ton of attention to Olivers play by play responsibilities but i would guess he barely ever had to 2 gap.  He was just tasked with flying off the snap and penetrating.  Q wasn't allowed to do that nearly as much probably due to the fact that he had 7th string ILBers behind him that Gregg wanted to protect.  

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

When I knew we weren’t going EDGE i was screaming for Oliver who was more of the interior pass rushing threat. In a redraft it’s clear we pick Allen but it’s a constant case of missing out. 

I would love Trent Williams,  instant upgrade over Beachum who was mediocre.

But round 2 in this draft is money for us, could land us a stud WR. 

If we are lucky Trent gives you 4 years. 

But I wouldnt be upset with Trent LT, then draft someone like Wirfs still at RT. we still would need a LG AND CENTER

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

But I wouldnt be upset with Trent LT, then draft someone like Wirfs still at RT. we still would need a LG AND CENTER

I'd still wanna sign Glasgow and or McGovern.  Both can play C.  There are some centers that i like in this draft, but there is something to be said with having an experiencing C with your young QB.

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Don’t understand why people think Wirfs will be there after this combine. I’m now seeing mocks with all 4 of the top OTs gone by pick 11. Lol

55 minutes ago, DowNY said:

Don’t understand why people think Wirfs will be there after this combine. I’m now seeing mocks with all 4 of the top OTs gone by pick 11. Lol

Because I am sure guys will fall to us like every year. Not saying Wirfs will be there, but one of the top OTs will be. 

I am good with a OT or WR round 1. If we go defense I'm gonna be mad.

• Like 1

Obviously not he same... but we traded for Clady back in 2016 and we thought we got a good OT when Brick retired. He was coming off an acl year and we only gave up a 5th for him and was 30 and had some pro bowl years right before his injury. Clady was a big fail with us.

Trent is better than Clady... but he will also be 3 years older Than Clady at the time. Trent couldn’t pass his physical remember bc the helmet and his injury to his head were an issue. He also has sat out a year (which isn’t good to be in “football” shape). I’m very weary of thinking getting Trent is a good move period. Never mind for valuable picks.