Its not talked about much, but Sammy Watkins is a bust.

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Watkins' teams are 59-37 and 2-2

Bradford was 34-48-1 as a starter.

Any comparison to the 2 players is ridiculous.

Watkins was the 4th best receiving option on the Rams in 2017. He has been in a top tier offense for 3 straight years and he hardly produces compared to expectations. 

• Like 3

Seriously though, he has all the tools to make it work but I don't think he loves the game enough. He will never play through a boo-boo no matter how dire the situation is, then bam he's fine next week. I think he makes a lot of "business decisions". The equivalent of a coworker taking the day off because of a tummy ache but you know he just doesn't wanna be in there. 

Lately my gripe is he has been dropping some passes in spectacular fashion, by that, I mean he literally will almost swat the ball to the ground. I really feel he's pouting because everyone knows he's out on his arse after the season due to production vs cap #. 

He'll make some amazing plays that make you think the light is coming on but nothing materializes (spell check).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Seriously though, he has all the tools to make it work but I don't think he loves the game enough. He will never play through a boo-boo no matter how dire the situation is, then bam he's fine next week. I think he makes a lot of "business decisions". The equivalent of a coworker taking the day off because of a tummy ache but you know he just doesn't wanna be in there. 

Lately my gripe is he has been dropping some passes in spectacular fashion, by that, I mean he literally will almost swat the ball to the ground. I really feel he's pouting because everyone knows he's out on his arse after the season due to production vs cap #. 

He'll make some amazing plays that make you think the light is coming on but nothing materializes (spell check).

He's super gifted, but he doesn't have his mind right. On the Rams, he'd quit on routes or half-arse them if he didn't think the ball was coming his way. It actually cost him some big plays when Goff came off his primary reads and threw the ball to him expecting Watkins to be going for it. Seems like he gets pouty if he's not the focal point of the offense. And as you said, it's hard to make him the focal point of an offense when he gets dinged up so easily and doesn't play.

• Like 1

He's not a bust, but he should have been better if not for basically the worst thing for any WR's career aside from significant shoulder injuries.

Dude does not have a lower body built for the NFL game, whether it's the speed of it or the cutting or the hits or what, but he's always got injuries that sap some aspect of his game, he gets into a funk and then he just quits on routes. He's a fine player, he's not a bust, but he should be special, he had everything he needed to be special, but I don't know what it is that's keeping him from being that guy if it's him and his prep or if it's just his body letting him down.

Either way he is what he is, a decent, occasionally good player who'll stick around for a while and accumulate a decent career resume.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Watkins was the 4th best receiving option on the Rams in 2017. He has been in a top tier offense for 3 straight years and he hardly produces compared to expectations. 

No he wasn’t. He was our second best option after Woods. 

He also made things easier for other receivers because defenses had to respect his vertical threat 

and he was a good red zone option for us. 

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

No he wasn’t. He was our second best option after Woods. 

He also made things easier for other receivers because defenses had to respect his vertical threat 

and he was a good red zone option for us. 

Kupp and Gurley were better for us as receiving options. 

Watkins was our best deep threat but I don't recall him having that many great deep plays other than his ones against SF and NYG. 

• Like 1

29 receivers(including tight ends) went over 1,000 yards this season.  With Hill's struggles he definitely should have put up more than 600 yards.

I will say though opposing defenses did a much better job of keeping the Chiefs out of the endzone on passing plays pretty much all season.  

The flip side is opposing offenses seem to have calmed down quite a bit vs. the Chiefs. :D