Its not talked about much, but Sammy Watkins is a bust.

Kiwibrown

17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

This is exacerbated by the guys that came after him across a number of positions, Donald, mack iirc Obj, Mike Evans. 

He has got every dollar out of his average career, rookie contract and then a hefty contract with the cheifs. 

It's not talked about because most people realised this after he went from Buffalo to the Rams. 

More of a disappointment than a bust. A bust to me has always been a guy who offers virtually no value.

But honestly, I have no idea how he is as unproductive in this offense as he is. He does some things well. Like he's a surprisingly good run blocker. But I dunno if hes running lazy routes or Mahomes doesn't trust him or what. But he should be way more productive than he is, based on just skill and supporting cast.

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Never trade up for a WR. It’s proven over 53 years of SB History to be the absolute 100% least impactful position. I mean, the Falcons at least selected a very good WR, but I think no matter who the WR is, a trade up is bad. 

Trading up for Julio Jones was an objectively good trade up though.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Trading up for Julio Jones was an objectively good trade up though.

No SB Title and we have no idea if those two other 1sts would of made a decent enough impact at different positions. Not as good as Julio but let’s say they land a B+ OT and B+ EDGE. Two much more important positions. 

Look at all 53 SB Champions. It literally has been the least important position by far. 80%+ didn’t have a 1st Round WR and the ones who usually did, were non factors such as Nelson Aghoular and Demariyus Thomas. 

Strongly disagree.  

Watkins is the #2 receiver on a team that's #2 seed in the AFC conference.  

He's injury prone, but the dude can play when he's healthy.  

Utilizing Watkins behind Tyreek Hill in the case of Hill getting double covered is exactly where Andy Reid wants him.  

If he was truly a bust, he wouldn't be playing for Kansas City.  

It's just asinine to think otherwise.  

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean to be fair technically it's True based on where he was drafted. But I feel like he has finally found an offense he fits well in. He does well and despite being a "draft bust" he isnt a total bust as a player. 

As Jakuvious said, more "disappointment" than "bust" - he's certainly not a worthless player, but he's been a low level WR2/good WR3 type guy for the past several years, and never plays 16 games. Certainly performing far below what his draft position and contracts suggest. 

• Like 1

Bust is a bit harsh.  When I think of bust, I think of guys like A.J. Jenkins.  1st round WR pick by the Niners.  Not a single reception his rookie year and was traded to the Chiefs the following season.  Less than 20 receptions for his whole "career," if you want to call it that.

Probably better examples out there, but it's kind of a running joke in the Niners forum every time someone gets their first catch on the team, someone always says, "[Insert Name] has just surpassed A.J. Jenkins on the Niners' all-time catch record."  And, it's hilarious every time.  lol

Edited by Ataal

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Never trade up for a WR. It’s proven over 53 years of SB History to be the absolute 100% least impactful position. I mean, the Falcons at least selected a very good WR, but I think no matter who the WR is, a trade up is bad. 

The Julio trade up was a slam dunk. Your trade up statement can be made for any position...the key is that you hit. Watkins was a miss. He’s been OK. He’s a solid #2-3 WR. But expectations are much higher when you use that much draft capital....ok isn’t good enough. I’m ok calling Watkins a bust. But at least he helped fantasy footballers in week 1 of this season, though I suspect he was on lots of benches...because though he’s in one if the most prolific passing games in NFL history...he’s still just a guy. 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

No SB Title and we have no idea if those two other 1sts would of made a decent enough impact at different positions. Not as good as Julio but let’s say they land a B+ OT and B+ EDGE. Two much more important positions. 

Go back and look through the Falcons draft selections during the early Julio Jones era and tell me if you can recognize any of those names. The 2011-2013 era was a horrid era for drafting. It's a bunch of "literally who?" dudes. Do you know how many bust offensive linemen/pass rushers we've had in the Dimitrioff era? Too many to count. It's just a position we can't draft well at all. Our best pass rusher that we've ever drafted is a defensive tackle. Vic Beasley is the most obvious example of a pass rusher bust, but he's not the only one and we're likely going to get more Vic Beasley's the more pass rushers we draft.

Wide Receiver isn't the most important position in the world, but we got way more value out of it than selecting an OT and a DE who would have painfully busted. Our only hope at those positions is free agency.

23 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No he wasn’t. He was our second best option after Woods. 

He also made things easier for other receivers because defenses had to respect his vertical threat 

and he was a good red zone option for us. 

Woods, Kupp, and Gurley were all ahead of him in the pecking order that year. Goff didn't trust him.

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Look at all 53 SB Champions. It literally has been the least important position by far. 80%+ didn’t have a 1st Round WR and the ones who usually did, were non factors such as Nelson Aghoular and Demariyus Thomas. 

DeMaryius Thomas was a nonfactor on the 2015 Broncos? What?

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Bad teams abide by silly rules like this.

• Like 1