Its not talked about much, but Sammy Watkins is a bust.

Kiwibrown

Possibly the most overrated prospect to ever come out? I mean the scouts were drooling over sammy like crazy and he’s pretty much a average WR. Such a deep draft and the bills coulda grabbed 10-15 or more pro bowl players instead of the turd watkins turned out to be. Such a deep draft 2014 was smh, i cant stand sammy anymore 

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This goes to my point about team building not being one size fits all. If you have a Shanahan as your HC, you can find HBs anywhere. They're not important. The same is true for the Patriots with Brady at his best and WRs. Brady + the system + what they value at WR allows them more leeway than most teams. The same is true of Seattle and Pete Carroll with CBs. But most teams don't have that sort of luxury.

Well said. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Philly 2017 had 3 WRs who were drafted in rounds 1, 2, and 2

Peyton Manning had 2,2,1,1 first round WRs in his 4 Super Bowls.

WR is like Guard in the draft. Only a very few go in the top 10-15 picks but 20-50 is loaded with them. Any premise that the WR position is unimportant has been 100% proven false.

I said least important, not unimportant. QB, RB, T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, WLB, CB, S are all more important than WR. You can argue SLB isn’t as important because that position is being phased out with todays passing attack. 

3 hours ago, bertuzzi said:

Possibly the most overrated prospect to ever come out? I mean the scouts were drooling over sammy like crazy and he’s pretty much a average WR. Such a deep draft and the bills coulda grabbed 10-15 or more pro bowl players instead of the turd watkins turned out to be. Such a deep draft 2014 was smh, i cant stand sammy anymore 

I’m gonna be honest, if i were in that spot I’d do it again for a prospect like Sammy was. 

Of course a team wants studs wherever they can get them; I think my take on the "WRs aren't that important" argument is that if one comes to you in the draft, by all means grab him; but a team shouldn't throw all their chips in solely for a WR. And I say this knowing that Warner to Fitzgerald damn near won a SB for a Cards team that had barely had any business being in the playoffs. But teams can win with a WR who's the 5th or 6th most important/best player on offense (and lower in the pecking order if we're counting D and maybe even ST), and several have. 

Its always good to see the anti-Alex Smith clowns at work.

His passer rating over his last 8 years combined is 94.0

• His TD to INT is 142 to 48 in those years.
  • He is 75-35-1 as a starter over that period
  • The guy has 14 TDs and 2 picks in the playoffs.
  • That means he has thrown 156 TDs to 50 picks in all his games over his last 8 seasons.

He was a bad QB his first 6 years on some truly awful Nolan and Singletary teams but that was more than 10 years ago.

He's played at a borderline Hall of Fame level in his last 8 seasons.

• He will never get close to the Hall based on his early years, terrible playoff luck, and injuries.

Alex Smith is 30th all-time in passer rating (this includes the bad years in SF)

He is 7th all-time in playoff passer rating.

Some people are really bad at analysis and comprehension.

• They understand football about as well as Kyle Williams handles punts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I said least important, not unimportant. QB, RB, T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, WLB, CB, S are all more important than WR. You can argue SLB isn’t as important because that position is being phased out with todays passing attack. 

Roethlisberger won the Super Bowl in 2008 with one of the worst O-line in the league but great WRs.

• Wallace was a 3rd rounder.
  • Ward was a 3rd rounder who turned into a borderline hall of famer
  • Santonio was a 1st round pick.

Their O-line starters were 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 6th round picks.

The 2017 Eagles

O-line

• Johnson was a 1st rounder
  • Brooks was a 3rd (from Houston)
  • Big V was a 5th (replacing an undrafted TE from the Bills in Jason Peters)
  • Kelce was a 6th rounder
  • Wisnewski was a 2nd rounder from the Raiders barely hanging on in the league and splitting time with 3rd round Seumalo

RB - Blount was undrafted, Clement was undrafted, Ajayi was a 5th rounder

LB - Kendricks was a 2nd, Bradham was a 4th, and Goode was a 5th (an injured Hicks was a 3rd)

They spent more draft capital on their QB, TE, and WRs than anywhere else except maybe DL.

• Like 2

There have been 15 guards drafted in round 1 since 2010.

• Iupati played in 1 Super Bowl with the 49ers
  • Warmack played 4 snaps as 3rd string depth for the Eagles.

The other 13 did not sniff the Super Bowl.

The 9 years in a row that Brady went without winning a Super Bowl were the Logan Mankins years (the 1st round guard for the Patriots)

• They won again the year after he left.
Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

As far as I can tell the last 1st round Center to even play in a Super Bowl was Damien Woody.

Are we using Super Bowl appearances/wins to determine whether or not an OL is worth their draft slot? Because that doesn't seem that effective of a method.

Just now, ET80 said:

Are we using Super Bowl appearances/wins to determine whether or not an OL is worth their draft slot? Because that doesn't seem that effective of a method.

That was an earlier point raised that Super Bowl teams did not have high draft pick WRs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What is "today's passing attack" because Bruce Arians passing scheme and Kliff Kingsbury's passing scheme are totally different structurally.

You're attributing an absolutist concept into a league with 32 teams that run 32 different schematic concepts, team designs, building concepts, scouting departments, player development programs etc etc etc.

You can't just slap these ideas that "well this isn't important" because of a perception of a current trend when all 32 teams are built differently, run differently, and conceptualized differently. Trying to make absolute statements about a 32 team sporting league is just bad process. Picks have weighted value for a reason.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 2

Why is barometer “well if you don’t win a SB with a first round WR then it proves they aren’t worth the selection”. That’s very very stupid. So many things go into a successful season and yet we wanna limit it to how productive WRs are.

Edited by Kip Smithers