(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Shurmur man, Shurmur.

Oh sh*t, I totally forgot he just got canned.. his work with Bradford, Keenum, Wentz, and Foles got him another HC job... would be a very strong option if he used his no nonsense techniques to develop Baker and without HC duties he's a quality OC.

• Like 2

Of those pairings, give me Wolf/McCarthy. Wolf will mean that there will be some continuity/stability on the personal end of things and we're not starting from scratch there, and McCarthy will bring discipline, knows how to lead a winning team, and seems like he's spent a lot of time reflecting on how to become a better/more flexible/modern coach.

I clearly think it's going to be Stefanski/Berry, since Haslam is in love with analytics (not a bad thing in and of itself) and that hire will make part-time cross-costal commuter DePo happy and not release the incriminating FBI evidence his army of data-scientists dug up.

McDaniels has the best chance of it blowing up in our faces, he's got the Belichick arrogance without the talent, and will get way too involved in personnel (which he should go nowhere near).

Personally, I'm intrigued by Greg Roman. He's designed creative offensive systems based in his QB and player's skillsets and I think he could take the pieces we have and shape a juggernaut. Of course, we'd need a strong GM and Defensive Coordinator if that was the hire.

• Like 1

The Truth ... there's no perfect candidates.

What matters .. is that Organization set up structures, assistants, and support staff to Minimize the likelihood of failure for whatever Head Coach we hire, as well as minimize their weaknesses.

That's the approach the Haslams should be focused on. They have to use all their resources and organizational experts to sketch out such plans and work with the Head Coach to see that certain training wheels and guide rails remain in place to prevent the situation from going off the rails or crashing.

Some ways to minimize failure If it's McDaniels,

1.) The way to build around him is to give the GM/Personnel staff final say from the outset and have the GM/HC report to one another with a buffer in place to avoid political in-fighting and power competition much like the 49ers have it set up (Lynch/Shanahan report to one another and Martin Mayhew is the buffer between ownership). Assuming Ziegler or Cesario are GM our Buffer could be Paul DePodesta.  This is especially important for McDaniels.

2.) Built-in Redundancies along the Offensive staff that can take over play-calling and or eventually step in as head coach in 3-years if necessary.

3.) Hire a Senior Assistant/ Assistant Head Coach with tremendous relational and problem-solving skills that Josh can lean on, be corrected by, and can help maintain positive relations with players in the locker room

4.) Hire a Program-leader strength/conditioning coach with high emotional intelligence that can help maintain buy-in from the players during the Patriots Way grind implementation

5.) Hire a QB coach that isn't a McDaniels yes man to protect the independent development of Baker; in general fill key positions in McDaniels staff with talented coaches that won't just be yes-men

6.) Hire a defensive Coach that can balance against McDaniels bouts of egomania without creating a defense versus offense divide in the locker room.

7.) Pair Dave Ziegler or Nick Cesario with trusted personnel execs that can keep the main thing the main thing and take the load/burden off of the first-time GMs. Have these Personnel execs not be political or yes-men to McDaniels.

8.) The worst of people comes out in high stress moments... surround McDaniels with a tremendous stress support staff off the field, as well as on-the field coaches that can take the burden of situational/higher level decisions off his plate in necessary times.

Some ways to minimize failure risk If it's McCarthy

1.) Make one his hires be a QB coach with OC prowess that can be developed as either a successor and/or a reliable OC play-caller in the even that McCarthy is forced to take a step back from play-calling again.

2.) Add energy givers and energizing quality coaches to his staff to breath new life into the players as McCarthy's current staff is quite sleepy (has nothing to do with age as an Al Saunders was such an energy giving coach).

3.) Add a high quality defensive coach that can take over for Jim Haslett when he inevitably gets canned after a year.

4.)Selectively add members to his staff that can keep him at the cutting edge of 

5.) Add a buffer between ownership so the seasoned veteran coach doesn't think he can easily usurp the younger GM (Eliot Wolf; Andrew Berry) or go over his head.

6.) Do not give all GM powers to Eliot Wolf; bring in an Andrew Berry or someone else as Wolf has some core deficiencies that don't hurt him as a scout per se but do as a lead GM.

Some ways to minimize failure risk If it's Stefanski

1.) Have him start off not calling plays, but instead hire a quality play-caller (Shurmur); if he must call plays have him hire a young OC talent that has the OC title and helps take a major part of the burden of game-planning, installs, and/or situational calls off of the young HC (Mike La Fleur)

2.) Hire a situational decisions assistant/coach that help the first time head coach navigate the complexities of game managemetn.

3.) Hire an experienced veteran Defensive Coach that can take pressure and attentional focus off the HC (Wade Phillips)

3.) Build in talented Assistant coaches as part of his staff that can step in as HC and keep the ship sailing if Stefanski can't cut it.

4.) Add non-political, former Head Coaches or at least 1 to his staff to help him navigate the madness of first-year head coaching. 

5.) Keep Brad Childress as far away from Baker Mayfield or real power in the organization as possible (He's a political animal; and runs his mouth about anything and everything whenever he gets a chance to; great offensive mind though).

4.) The way to build around him is to give the GM/Personnel staff final say from the outset and have the GM/HC report to one another with a buffer in place to avoid political in-fighting and power competition much like the 49ers have it set up (Lynch/Shanahan report to one another and Martin Mayhew is the buffer between ownership). So, power fever doesn't take anyone over.

5.) Let Eliot Wolf be Andrew Berry's 2nd in command, but give Berry an experienced GM assistant in a primary role.

4 minutes ago, Powertower said:

I dont want shurmur anywhere near our facilities again.  

Lol wut?

He’s a proven, elite OC, just not a HC.

He coached Foles to a 27/2 season, had Keenum looking like a stud in Minny and Jones playing some damned fine ball this year.

He’s an elite OC with HC experience who’s worked with Stefanski before.  

We’d be absurdly lucky to get him tbh.

• Like 2

If Shurmur comes back I’m getting seats in section 334.  I had season tickets in section 534 and there was a guy who had season tickets in the club area who yelled F**k Shurmur every play. I’d assume he is still there. Waiting to yell at Shurmuer again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDD said:

If Shurmur comes back I’m getting seats in section 334.  I had season tickets in section 534 and there was a guy who had season tickets in the club area who yelled F**k Shurmur every play. I’d assume he is still there. Waiting to yell at Shurmuer again. 

Oh wow, sounds like a wonderful addition to society in general.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh wow, sounds like a wonderful addition to society in general.

He had 4 seats in the club section. He dropped thousands of dollars for those seats. So I guess he needed to yell at someone. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol wut?

He’s a proven, elite OC, just not a HC.

He coached Foles to a 27/2 season, had Keenum looking like a stud in Minny and Jones playing some damned fine ball this year.

He’s an elite OC with HC experience who’s worked with Stefanski before.  

We’d be absurdly lucky to get him tbh.

Probably would be lucky...but  I cannot stand him.  He has no backbone, never handles talking about players correctly.  I knew he'd bomb with the Giants.  When he was here I wanted to him fired when he went to Holmgren and was complaining about people in media hounding him.  

As OC he has done well.  At this point get us wins I dont care who it is i guess. 

9 minutes ago, Powertower said:

Probably would be lucky...but  I cannot stand him.  He has no backbone, never handles talking about players correctly.  I knew he'd bomb with the Giants.  When he was here I wanted to him fired when he went to Holmgren and was complaining about people in media hounding him.  

As OC he has done well.  At this point get us wins I dont care who it is i guess. 

Yeah he’s a great OC but not a HC.

One thing I like about him is he’s already been a HC twice and I doubt he gets another shot, so he could in theory be here for the long haul with Baker.

• Like 1