Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

Just now, MikeT14 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-rey-parentage-changed-kenobi 

Just further proof Kathleen et al had no idea what they were really doing start to finish, rushed things, and we got the overall cluster we got with the NT.

Imagine the story redemptive arc:

A Kenobi fails to redeem a Skywalker allegedly prophesied to bring balance to the force only to have his heir do just that.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Imagine the story redemptive arc:

A Kenobi fails to redeem a Skywalker allegedly prophesied to bring balance to the force only to have his heir do just that.

Yeah, I don't know how she could be that tone def and go forward without a plan.  Hopefully, they learned from this mistake and what comes next in regards to the movies, will be a fully fledged plan with an overarching story arc for the next at least 3 movies, but it would be better to have a plan for 6 or 9, the next 15-20 years.  The relative silence since RoS is a good thing in my opinion.  Get your house in order before moving forward.

I honestly don't know how Disney justifies Kennedy keeping her job.  The pure incompetence.  You'd think once Boyega called them out for basically belittling him to hitting some inclusion mark for the sake of it without having any Goddamn plan for his character whatsoever would have sparked the flame to can her, but no. 

That really is the biggest crime of this entire trilogy.  Boyega was the most talented person with the possible exception of Oscar Isaac to join the cast early on and they had no plan WHATSOEVER for him.

• Like 1

It is frustrating how little they planned out.

Honestly even what they went with could’ve been fine if they planned it from the start + know what they want to do with the other main characters outside of Kylo and Rey.

But having a Kenobi either finally save the last of the Skywalker line would’ve made sense. Save for Obi-Wan gettin down with someone.

Her being related to the Emperor was fine had it not been an obvious last minute decision. Like seed in her going dark way more. Like when she was in Starkiller base in 7, even something as simple as her force choking two Stormtroopers could’ve seeded that that is within her. In 8 she should’ve gone to the dark side more, or even entirely would’ve been interesting to see. I wish that her killing Chewie was real and in 8, would’ve been a really powerful moment...but it meant nothing to the audience as we found out like right away he was fine.

Just some semblance of planning and sense behind the scenes would’ve been nice to see. I don’t get how they didn’t try and get at least a rough outline of these beforehand.

Just now, Kiltman said:

Save for Obi-Wan gettin down with someone.

Its not that outlandish. He came pretty damn close with Dutchess Satine when he was still a padawan. He even admits in Clone Wars that had Satine asked him to, he would have left the Jedi Order to be with her. That being said, with the Jedi Order gone marooned on Tatooine, if he met a woman and developed real feelings for her I'd imagine he'd smash. 

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I honestly don't know how Disney justifies Kennedy keeping her job.  The pure incompetence.  You'd think once Boyega called them out for basically belittling him to hitting some inclusion mark for the sake of it without having any Goddamn plan for his character whatsoever would have sparked the flame to can her, but no. 

That really is the biggest crime of this entire trilogy.  Boyega was the most talented person with the possible exception of Oscar Isaac to join the cast early on and they had no plan WHATSOEVER for him.

To be fair, they didn't have a plan for anyone, which is even more egregious, but at least it wasn't singling him out.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Its not that outlandish. He came pretty damn close with Dutchess Satine when he was still a padawan. He even admits in Clone Wars that had Satine asked him to, he would have left the Jedi Order to be with her. That being said, with the Jedi Order gone marooned on Tatooine, if he met a woman and developed real feelings for her I'd imagine he'd smash. 

Yeah it’s not out of the question, just him not doing that with her I know makes some fans angry at this notion.

I think there is a very natural story you can tell there. Even if it is just “I was bored of all this damn sand and had a little fun.”

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah it’s not out of the question, just him not doing that with her I know makes some fans angry at this notion.

I think there is a very natural story you can tell there. Even if it is just “I was bored of all this damn sand and had a little fun.”

Dude knew about Padme and Anakin, like no question. He only alludes to it on Clone Wars but brother knew. That coupled with his history of being down to leave the order for love makes me think he would have no problemo finding love during the Empire days. Hell if he wasnt a general in a War and he met back up with Satine in peace times I would bet a lot of $$$ that he wouldve left the order to be with her the second time around. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:51 AM, MikeT14 said:

Just further proof Kathleen et al had no idea what they were really doing start to finish, rushed things, and we got the overall cluster we got with the NT.

I wish I could say this surprises me.  I don't believe in the Lucas replacing Kennedy rumors, but I believe when her contract is up in a year or two, it won't be renewed and some combination of Favreau/Filoni will be helping to run things moving forward.  

On 9/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, Deadpulse said:

Dude knew about Padme and Anakin, like no question. He only alludes to it on Clone Wars but brother knew. That coupled with his history of being down to leave the order for love makes me think he would have no problemo finding love during the Empire days. Hell if he wasnt a general in a War and he met back up with Satine in peace times I would bet a lot of $$$ that he wouldve left the order to be with her the second time around. 

The Dooku line is definitely noteworthy.  Qui-Gon had a love interest.  His first Padawan, Rael Averross, had multiple relationships without attachment, and of course, you are alluding to Obi Wan and then we have Anakin.  Of course, there were also Qui-Gon's views of the Force, and his relationship with the Jedi Council that made things different as well.  

If roles were reversed and Obi-Wan was the one who fell to Darth Maul on Naboo, I have no doubt that Anakin is not tempted by The Senate with Qui-Gon training him, and he may have still ended up with Padme, as I don't think Qui-Gon would necessarily discourage that.  

Only thing stopping me from believing that Obi-Wan would have time to find love during his exile is that he is watching over Luke and needing to protect him at all costs, especially given how Leia would be much more noticeable in the spotlight. 

On 9/11/2020 at 10:51 AM, MikeT14 said:

1. All of the movies were profitable outside of solo and like we all get one.

2. Outside of the NT Star Wars has been pretty ****ing fantastic. Mandalorian, Rebels, Kenobi, Clone Wars etc. Plus the bad batch which looks like it's gonna be awesome, also pretty much every director has had creative control except for the Phil lord+Chris MIller who got replaced by the puppet Ron Howard #Releasethelordnmillercut. 

3. Controversies sure but like EH. Money is all the mouse cares about.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, Outpost31 said:

1. She's not in charge of the films (on a day to day basis/making the decisions that lead to Boyega ending up being nothing more than the new checker mark) she's a producer who oversees the studios and just nods while the directors decide all that ****. Blame the directors, and yes she does approves scripts but like you think she reads those? I know I wouldn't.

The biggest crime of the trilogy was Disney made it in the first place, we didn't need a ST we needed a NEW Trilogy. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I wish I could say this surprises me.  I don't believe in the Lucas replacing Kennedy rumors, but I believe when her contract is up in a year or two, it won't be renewed and some combination of Favreau/Filoni will be helping to run things moving forward.  

Yeah Lucas is just chilling in retirement, Filoni ain't doing that that man has dealt with angry starwars fans for a decade he ain't risking getting removed from lucasfilm because they offer him the top job. Favreau maybe, but also like he's one of Disney's aces so they might just let him do the Manadlorian and pick a new lil project.

21 hours ago, Xmad said:

1. She's not in charge of the films (on a day to day basis/making the decisions that lead to Boyega ending up being nothing more than the new checker mark) she's a producer who oversees the studios and just nods while the directors decide all that ****. Blame the directors, and yes she does approves scripts but like you think she reads those? I know I wouldn't.

The biggest crime of the trilogy was Disney made it in the first place, we didn't need a ST we needed a NEW Trilogy. 

Yeah Lucas is just chilling in retirement, Filoni ain't doing that that man has dealt with angry starwars fans for a decade he ain't risking getting removed from lucasfilm because they offer him the top job. Favreau maybe, but also like he's one of Disney's aces so they might just let him do the Manadlorian and pick a new lil project.

I get that she's not in charge of the day to day, but she is still responsible for setting things up.  Not having a cohesive narrative is absolutely her fault.  She didn't let one person decide the story arc, she approved what JJ wanted to do, then what Rian wanted to do, and then what JJ wanted to do, while allowing both of them to tear down what the others did.  Not only that, but she was the one who hired the Solo guys and Gareth Edwards, and basically had to bring in other directors to finish their work because they went so far off-script.  And she allowed things to get to that point with both films.  

Also, you can't say she's just a producer when she goes around saying things like "The Force is Female", saying that we need to hire more women directors for her films, and so many other things that she's said to stir up some of the fans against her.  

The bad far outnumbers the good when it comes to Kennedy, and the lack of leadership at the top is where I am placing the blame here.