Tom Time

Shady Slim

Brady 2020  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Brady next season is going to...

• Retire
    • Play on for NE
    • Play on for Someone Else (say)

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Oh well now you're changing what you originally said, then.

I've heard him expound on Gronk, on Jules, I think Slater, Hightower, McCourty.

You don't have to agree, but if you've been paying enough attention, to call it "laughable" and "baseless" is absurd. You may not think it's correct, but it's far from that.

Well, @Yin-Yang surely has a point, as you do, but let me add this. BB *always* praises the opposition players in the week building up to a game. and I mean always. The praise BB has for his own active players is rare, but yes, it does happen. One that hit me between the eyes was in the last season Jerod Mayo played and BB called him "the Tom Brady of the defense". 

But overall, praise for his own players is more rare than praise for the opposition players.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Why is that though? That has never made much sense to me

Why don't they have a great relationship? I think it's two huge egos that everybody prostrates to at every turn. Furthermore, BB views each player as a cog in his machine, while Brady has eventually realized that he isn't exactly every other player, and should maybe be afforded slightly different treatment. I understand both sides, and I think they're both correct to a degree. Brady, in recent years, has also very much tried to further himself as a "brand", including his physical fitness methods, and dietary beliefs. Not only does this sometimes run directly counter to the strength and conditioning regimen the Patriots have, Bill also bristles at anything that brings a lot of attention to any one player.  I'm sure there's plenty more to it than that, this is mostly just what has been reported, and what makes sense to me.

16 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Well, @Yin-Yang surely has a point, as you do, but let me add this. BB *always* praises the opposition players in the week building up to a game. and I mean always. The praise BB has for his own active players is rare, but yes, it does happen. One that hit me between the eyes was in the last season Jerod Mayo played and BB called him "the Tom Brady of the defense". 

But overall, praise for his own players is more rare than praise for the opposition players.

He doesn't really praise every team though. I'd say every week he does the customary "they're a great team that will be hungry for a win" routine. Some weeks he will get really excessive about a certain team, or area of their team, to the point that it's almost patronizing BS, like pure smoke being blown up their ***, almost for entertainment purposes only. Then there are times where he really will recite gushing sonnets about a player or coach, such as Ed Reed or Paul Brown.

17 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I said he never gasses them up/talks them up too much. The way he talks about Reed, LT, Moss? Yeah, never with current Patriots.

It is laughable and baseless. People with similar opinions as your own are reading between the lines and hanging on every word, every tone of voice inflection, etc. and then pretending like it has meaning. All from a guy who is usually a near-mute with the media.

If all you’re going to the table is, essentially, “he doesn’t compliment Brady enough” as proof - then that’s pretty baseless. And yeah, I’m laughing over here, so I’m gonna call it laughable too.

I still haven't bothered to really figure out how this newfangled board operates as far as quoting multiple posters or splitting up quotes (shakes fist at cloud in sky), but imagine these two statements were broken up.

response, part 1: first blood...

Look at how he talks about Amendola in this PC. Starts at about a minute in or something. I'd say that's gushing...

I didn't realize that would embed the video. I guess I"m okay with that though. That's a giant shot of ol' Bill to gaze upon though.

Okay, response, part 2: responsin' boogaloo...

You're making the mistake of a chicken/egg variety. In this case, I didn't form the belief first, and then just look for things to confirm it. I assumed their relationship was fine. But a few years ago, a few rumors of the informed speculation variety started. Then more of them, then comments by Bill and Tom. Then came Garoppolo, then went Garoppolo, the Wickersham piece, etc etc etc.

So, my opinion wasn't formed out of nowhere, and then I've been looking for support of my pre-formed conclusion. I've formed an opinion based one what I've heard, what I've seen, and what seems reasonable to my common sense. I also trust my own sense of logic and reason compared to Patriots fans, because unlike them, I don't give a single flying F if the two get along or not. I'm fine if they do, but I'm also okay admitting if they kinda don't.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying they don't get along on a respectful, professional level. I think they hold each other in high esteem when it comes to the abilities that each brings to the table. They've obviously been able to makes things work and achieve unprecedented success together, with minimal dysfunction. I think they both understand that neither one of them would have been as successful without the other. I just think as time has passed, and each has grown into bigger icons, it's become increasingly difficult for each to fully get what they want out of the whole operation. Kraft deserves some credit too for, thus far, being able to mostly manage the balancing act. But at some point it becomes untenable, as long as the two sides continue moving apart as far as what they want.

Latest Tommy news update...

Tonight, Chris Gasper (full time carrier of Tom Brady's water, part time Globe columnist), mentioned that he "believes" there's been some movement from Brady's camp, in the direction of wanting to come back. His stance has supposedly softened a bit, and he might be willing to accept less from the Patriots than he has been posturing all season.

This honestly kinda bums me out. For being so cold-blooded on the field, he sure is a freaking Nancy off of it. I wanted, at some point, for him to really put Kraft's balls in a vice and see how far he could go. He tries to talk tough, but then every year he just opens his palms to whatever breadcrumbs BB and Kraft decide on, pouts like a baby and eventually gets back to the business of winning. If he accepts yet ANOTHER below-market deal with crappy term, because he hates confrontation, after stomping his feet all year, it'll look so sackless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Split the Sticks said:

this is just pure hate screed. C'mon dude. 

Except I don't hate him.

But, it is annoying for him to complain about how disrespected he feels, and how annoyed he is at his situation, but then not do everything that is EASILY within his power to do something about it.

48 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Except I don't hate him.

But, it is annoying for him to complain about how disrespected he feels, and how annoyed he is at his situation, but then not do everything that is EASILY within his power to do something about it.

He never once did any of this. Or any of the things you formulated in the essay you posted above. Nice narrative though...

4 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

He never once did any of this. Or any of the things you formulated in the essay you posted above. Nice narrative though...

“These last two years have been very challenging for him in so many ways,” she said. “And he tells me, ‘I love it so much and I just want to go to work and feel appreciated and have fun.’ ”

That's a quote from Gisele in Tom's very own "documentary" series, which he undoubtedly has 100% final editorial control over. What sense would this remotely make, unless it refers to Tom Brady being unhappy with the Patriots situation.

They don't pay him market value, they took away Guerrero's access to the team/field/complex, etc., BB had to be essentially forced to trade Jimmy G. Even after this doc, they gave him a crap contract heavy on incentives that he didn't hit. So as a minor mea culpa they gave him the same contract the following year with the incentives instead guaranteed, but still under market in total. Except with this contract he made them put in that he can't be franchised, and WILL go to market. Why would he do that?

Haha, I'll be honest, I didn't really think my point of view on this whole thing would elicit such anger. Is it all from Patriots fans? At least then I'd halfway understand.

I'm not kidding, or trying to be Captain Hot Take or anything either. I feel like it's all well within reason if you've paid attention to the team. Maybe it's because I live around here and pretty much keep up with the day to day reporting, but I'm not coming at it from fan perspective? I dunno. Again, I didn't think anything I said was all that incendiary.

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

Haha, I'll be honest, I didn't really think my point of view on this whole thing would elicit such anger. Is it all from Patriots fans? At least then I'd halfway understand.

I'm not kidding, or trying to be Captain Hot Take or anything either. I feel like it's all well within reason if you've paid attention to the team. Maybe it's because I live around here and pretty much keep up with the day to day reporting, but I'm not coming at it from fan perspective? I dunno. Again, I didn't think anything I said was all that incendiary.

No one should be angry at your opinion, because they are just that - an opinion. And interesting, at that.

My opinion is that you're doing a lot of over-analysing and reading into things that are mostly probably not there. The last place BB ever wants to be is in press conferences and I don't think we should be reading much into anything he says up there. Good or bad.

• Like 2