Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

As always very nervous for big games. For whatever reason I think we’ll blow them out. On paper, two almost evenly matched teams. But I think the return of Alexander, Ford, Tartt, and the extra week of rest make this lob sided in our favor. Few days back I was thinking would be a one score game but I think it could end by as much a a three score game. 

Last time I was this confident was the first Seahawks game this year, so take that with a grain of salt. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly the nerves are all over the place, I’m glad we are hear. Going to be a fun game either way. I don’t see either team being able to just blow out each other unless something bad happens. 

We saw it too many times where they come back to early and even saw it with Thielen. Even if we lose I hope he is healthy, because if not it will most likely take him out the rest of the year. 

Well, he did have four weeks to heal up. I don't think he is being rushed back, but also if he's not good by now, likely won't be next week either or the rest of the playoffs if the team continues to win. Definitely don't want him to push it if he's not ready. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, he did have four weeks to heal up. I don't think he is being rushed back, but also if he's not good by now, likely won't be next week either or the rest of the playoffs if the team continues to win. Definitely don't want him to push it if he's not ready. 

Yeah we waiting that long with Thielen with the same thing, and multiple times before we have seen them tweak it. Honestly a healthy Ford with some speed will help out so much with that pass defense for you guys. Even if he’s not in there every play and just pass rushing downs, he will be fresh. 

I just don't get taking Alexander out on passing downs. That's just stupid. Where Greenlaw has struggled is in zone coverage letting receivers get behind him or not having the instincts to get out of his coverage and pick a receiver running free. Alexander is a flat out playmaker who has great instincts and is much more valuable in the passing game. Now, he will still be in coverage plenty but I'm nervous with him in the running game playing the SAM LB spot. Disappointing. 

• Like 1

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio, but I live in Arizona, so there hasn't been a lot of talk about this game this week.  Even the national shows haven't talked much about it.  It's been a constant GB/SEA and TEN/BAL fest.   Kind of disappointing.  Social media is all about the underdog, so it's been a non-stop Vikings craze.  This site is really the only place I get any "real" talk about the Niners.  So, just trying to psych myself up for the game on my own here, and of course, will y'all.

I think we "should" win this game, but the more I read up on the Vikings(didn't pay much attention to them this year), the more anxious I get.  And, as always, I have high quality beer here to help me get through it all.  lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just don't get taking Alexander out on passing downs. That's just stupid. Where Greenlaw has struggled is in zone coverage letting receivers get behind him or not having the instincts to get out of his coverage and pick a receiver running free. Alexander is a flat out playmaker who has great instincts and is much more valuable in the passing game. Now, he will still be in coverage plenty but I'm nervous with him in the running game playing the SAM LB spot. Disappointing. 

His coverage skills got better switching to the 49ers?

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because, the drop between Alexander and Dre in coverage is a lot better than the drop off between Kwon and Al-Shaair in anything at any point in time. Keep your best players on the field. 

• Like 2

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

His coverage skills were always fine in tampa, that was largely what he was known for (that and missed tackles). Before the injury this year, he was an elite coverage linebacker for the season. 

I'm quietly crapping myself about this game but then again I'm always nervous about Niner playoff games so nothing new there. These two teams are well matched and normally I'd be concerned about Jimmy's lack of playoff experience but this whole team has been in playoff mentality the last six weeks of the season and Jimmy has come through very well so far. Its my belief that if we protect Jimmy we win. I'm sure Kyle will scheme to negate Griffin and Hunter. And if we can get to Cousins with our pass rush we should be able to win comfortably. I say this with one caveat - we must not lose the turnover battle. I'd wish both teams good luck but I don't want the Vikings to have any at all. Skol to their fans on this forum though. 

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He's amazing in coverage. Not just like man coverage, but his feel in zone. Warner is the superior man coverage backer, but Alexander on another level using his instincts in zone.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because, the drop between Alexander and Dre in coverage is a lot better than the drop off between Kwon and Al-Shaair in anything at any point in time. Keep your best players on the field. 

But he can play SAM and play snaps in nickel situations. And honestly, against the run at SAM, how good is Alexander really? Not like he doesn't have a tackling issue. I can't get with this, just disappointing to me.