The NFL needs to rethink how it does overtime

pf9

1 hour ago, SuperBowl=best said:

Bring back full sudden death, 15 minutes, but abolish the coin toss, and give 1st possession to the team who was penalised less.  That'll give an incentive to play by the rules.

This will surely go over well, especially if the refs have a poor game against a team

edit: i agree with the 15 minutes though.

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SuperBowl=best said:

It wouldn't be refs deciding the game, it'd be the players and their ability to win.

But the refs calls - correct or incorrect - would impact possession. That's pretty big, we know that refs calling penalties is inconsistent at best.

Imagine if a ref crew messes up on a PI like they did Saints/Rams a few years back. So, not only is that lack of call incorrect, but it potentially factors into OT possession, only compounding the gripe one team would have after a game.

It's an idea that is bound to be questioned in every single game and only magnify bad officiating.

• Like 1

heres a small tweak.

increases the odds that both offenses possess the ball in overtime.

1. first change the time back to 15 mins.

2. if the first team scores a touchdown and an xp on their first possession, the 2nd team gets the chance to score as well. but the catch is...they have to go for the 2 pt conversion if they score a td, to win or lose it.

if the first team to score elects to go for the 2 pt conv and gets it, that will end the game without a chance of possession for the 2nd team. if they miss, the 2nd team can go for the xp.

needlessly convoluted? its the nfl!

Edited by Malfatron

On 10/26/2020 at 12:26 AM, SuperBowl=best said:

Bumping this since I just found out OT has been reduced to 10 minutes.  What the hell, that is ridiculous

Bring back full sudden death, 15 minutes, but abolish the coin toss, and give 1st possession to the team who was penalised less.  That'll give an incentive to play by the rules.

I cringed when I saw it was 10 minutes now.  Why must this league get so soft.  Will they ban tackling next.  JFC

The players don’t want it. Everytime this OT discussion is brought up this piece gets ignored. 

Anyways the league used to just call it a tie at the end of regulation 

i love college overtime. for some reason in my mind it's so tied up with the whole craziness of the college football atmosphere that it's difficult for me to imagine it in the nfl. but realistically i'd probably get over that pretty quickly. i know people are concerned about stats but like....who cares lol. we're about to add a whole extra game to the season. stats are out the damn window