The NFL needs to rethink how it does overtime

pf9

Just now, TheGame316 said:

52% chance of winning receiving the ball, 48% chance kicking the ball

It doesn't get much more even than that

That’s pretty substantial though considering the sample size we are working with (assuming all time?).... You flip a coin and bam can have a 4% better chance at winning .

Not enough of a sample size if that figure is just since the rule change.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

It’s more exciting. More points in college playoffs. It can go on longer, therefore, more football. 

It’s fair and offers both teams the chance to score equally. 

It doesn’t give a team a chance to win with no rebuttal. 

It’s like having a baseball overtime game where you flip a coin and they only play the “top of the 10th, not the bottom.” It’s dumb. 

I wouldn’t mind college OT, but stats could not be counted. Much like they are not during a 2 pt conversion.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That’s pretty substantial though considering the sample size we are working with (assuming all time?).... You flip a coin and bam can have a 4% better chance at winning .

Not enough of a sample size if that figure is just since the rule change.

There would be a huge advantage to getting the ball 2nd if you KNEW you needed a TD to keep the game going

You'd get 4 downs on every series to get 10 yards and wouldn't have to consider punting or kicking a FG, I guarantee that adds up for more than 4%

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

True, but AT LEAST each team is guaranteed a possession in this instance, although the coin toss would still have far more power than it should, but it’d be much fairer.

Each team is guaranteed a possession in the 4th Q too. Think of that as overtime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jotun_Fan said:

Dang good question. Maybe Dutch auction style

I think it could be worked in that you ALSO have a chance to guess what number your opponent picked. If correct, you will receive an additional possession identical to your oppponets value

OT rules dont need to be change. The reason why the game went into OT in the first place because the game is back and forth and regulation nobody could decide a winner. Giving up a touchdown in OT is the equivalent of a knockout punch in boxing. The game should be over and Im glad thats how it is. 

• Like 1

If your team can't stop the opposing team from scoring a touchdown on their first possession in OT, you don't deserve to win that game. This isn't the same as Tebow completing one pass and Prater kicking a 60 yard FG on 3rd and 15 to win a playoff game. The Vikings went right down the field and scored. If you think that's unfair, maybe try playing better defense and recognizing that football is a team game, not a QB game.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bumping this since I just found out OT has been reduced to 10 minutes.  What the hell, that is ridiculous

Bring back full sudden death, 15 minutes, but abolish the coin toss, and give 1st possession to the team who was penalised less.  That'll give an incentive to play by the rules.

I cringed when I saw it was 10 minutes now.  Why must this league get so soft.  Will they ban tackling next.  JFC

• Like 1