Which NFL athlete has cost themselves the most money over their career for reasons they could control?

Kiwibrown

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the answer is limited exclusively to football revenue, then I think you should look at the percentage of earnings instead of the raw numbers, and I'd nominate Chris Borland.

I'm looking at it as strictly lost football revenue - if we're pitching in monies lost due to poor financial management, Clinton Portis and Mark Brunell have to lead the way.

Portis lost about $65mm with poor financial advice and poorer spending habits, Brunell put all of his eggs in the Real Estate bracket in 2008, which cost him a hefty $40mm. 

I have a hard time believing any regular human being can recover from that.

Just now, ET80 said:

I'm looking at it as strictly lost football revenue - if we're pitching in monies lost due to poor financial management, Clinton Portis and Mark Brunell have to lead the way.

Portis lost about $65mm with poor financial advice and poorer spending habits, Brunell put all of his eggs in the Real Estate bracket in 2008, which cost him a hefty $40mm. 

I have a hard time believing any regular human being can recover from that.

Adrian Peterson I think beats them both. He's ~$10MM in the hole with > $100MM career earnings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'll try and find it, but I am pretty sure he got scammed out of a lot of money in some investment thing.

Ugh, hate to hear that.

But... I'd argue that it's something you can't control. We may hate people like Bernie Madoff, but they get in position to commit such crimes because they're smart enough to get you to lower your guard. 

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What an unbelievable coincidence that he started leaking all of the TB12 diet stuff and talking about nutrition the moment that instagram came out with ways to make millions selling diarrhea tea.

He was late to the Insta-party. Not saying he isn't cashing in, but he's a relative new comer to that ish.

I feel like if Kareem Hunt didn't kick that girl he could have been making Le'Veon or Gurley money at this point. Which would be a massive raise for a 3rd round pick making peanuts (by NFL standards). Lucky for him he's still young and can right the ship. There's still money to be had.

I think about Kareem on KC a lot. If he was still on that team I feel like they would be neck and neck with Baltimore as Super Bowl favourites.

• Like 3

Adjusted for inflation it's either Michael Vick or Jeff George. Vick did get most of his lost salary from 2007 after his great 2010 season with the Eagles and the endorsement money from Nike wasn't that big at 2 mill a year in 07 I believe. You also have to factor in he retired at 35 with the 2 years off whereas guys like McNair left at 34. And he wasn't playing in the biggest markets with Atlanta and Phily. So maybe 50+ mill on the surface but if he had just stayed in Atlanta till say, 2012 I don't think it's much of a difference with his play. He would of had to achieve more and branch out publicly to command the really big money.

That's where Jeff George comes in. Even with his well known attitude issues the man signs a pretty damn big deal at the time in 1997 with Oakland for a 5 year, 27 mill contract that was back-loaded but averaged almost as much as Barry Sanders got on a 6 year deal in 97. That was also the same year Favre got the highest contract at 7 year, 46 mill. Now George only saw 2 of those 5 years and considering he was going to be paid 4 mill in that 3rd year he would've had to show results. Many of his injuries were due to lack of conditioning and he didn't dedicate himself enough to practice and coaching. His intelligence may have been the block as he scored 10 on the wonderlic but even being just more professional outside of the playbook with his arm strength that lasted into his late 40s, you can't ignore the possibilities he could have earned well over 50 million more in 90s money. Just to give an indication on how great his agent was, he signed a 5 year deal to be a back-up in Washington after 1 year in Minnesota which theoretically could have paid him 6 mill in the 4th and 5th year if he been good enough to become the starter and physically he still had it.

• Like 1

Terrell Owens definitely cost himself. If he had just been half as abrasive in the locker room he could have grind out 5 more years as a #2. Especially if he stayed with the Cowboys. Jerry would be paying him like the Cardinals have been paying Larry.

Edited by Malik