2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

41 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The fact that there has been zero OC news leaves me to believe it is an internal hire......🙄

I dunno, there was a report that Doug has had “many” interviews so far. I don’t remember any real leaks. Just a couple rumors that such and such didn’t want the job. They are playing this pretty close to the vest. Not one official interview yet but Doug’s had many? I’m thinking it’s got to be a SB team. I’d love to get some Shanahan fingerprints on this offense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The fact that there has been zero OC news leaves me to believe it is an internal hire......🙄

Really? If that was the case you'd think it would have happened by now.

The extended wait, to me, sends signals that we will probably end up poaching from one of the SB team's coaching.

7 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Kind of fully expect this to happen

Yeah and it's completely moronic. You fire a guy, and then promote someone who worked beneath him? Absolutely terrible in every sense of the matter. I really REALLY hope this turns out to be false.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Yeah and it's completely moronic. You fire a guy, and then promote someone who worked beneath him? Absolutely terrible in every sense of the matter. I really REALLY hope this turns out to be false.

Eh, I think we’ve seen it play out before that lower guys can be really good when they get their chance. And that it’s somebody above them stopping their ideas from being the bulk of the scheme/system.

I mean look at Kyle Shanahan, he got to run his offense in a couple places, but conservative defensive HCs made him play it safe. The Redskins had a myriad of coaching talent and did nothing with it (which also ties into personnel issues holding teams back too)

Different guys are better fits in certain positions. 
maybe Press is way better at this and they get someone better to be QB coach that will push Carson more. It’s truly an unknown to us.

but obviously it does nothing for my excitement and makes me pretty worried. But it’s better than Groh, because we know that largely was awful.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Eh, I think we’ve seen it play out before that lower guys can be really good when they get their chance. And that it’s somebody above them stopping their ideas from being the bulk of the scheme/system.

I mean look at Kyle Shanahan, he got to run his offense in a couple places, but conservative defensive HCs made him play it safe. The Redskins had a myriad of coaching talent and did nothing with it (which also ties into personnel issues holding teams back too)

Different guys are better fits in certain positions. 
maybe Press is way better at this and they get someone better to be QB coach that will push Carson more. It’s truly an unknown to us.

but obviously it does nothing for my excitement and makes me pretty worried. But it’s better than Groh, because we know that largely was awful.

I suppose it's possible. But I have to believe that situations such as the one you mentioned with Shanahan are frankly the exception to the rule rather than the norm. It'd be one thing if we saw something from Press that suggested he was truly being limited by those he was employed under, but there's been nothing I've seen so far to plant that thought as a realistic possibility.

The way I view it, a seed planted in depleted or mid grade soil, is going to yield a poor crop. You want to harvest from the best crop unless you're just looking to be cheap.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

About as much as Mike Groh did to warrant a promotion.

If they promote anyone over Duce, Duce should seriously quit and go somewhere else....

For Duce, yeah I get it.

For the team, he’s been the 5th guy at best for contributing.

Doug, Groh, Stoutland, Press, Duce

The SB year was even worse

Doug, Reich, Flip, Stout, Groh, Duce, Press

You would think by now he’s been given an opportunity to speak up and add good ideas. And as the longest tenured Eagles coach he’s only ever gotten a pseudo title promotion in Asst. HC after he got that RB job. 

You’d think if they thought he was a great choice he’d already have gotten the job by now.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I suppose it's possible. But I have to believe that situations such as the one you mentioned with Shanahan are frankly the exception to the rule rather than the norm. It'd be one thing if we saw something from Press that suggested he was truly being limited by those he was employed under, but there's been nothing I've seen so far to plant that thought as a realistic possibility.

The way I view it, a seed planted in depleted or mid grade soil, is going to yield a poor crop. You want to harvest from the best crop unless you're just looking to be cheap.

Yeah we truly have no clue besides some anecdotal stuff about his contributions. Like I believe it was Press who was the trick play guy and added some flair the SB year. I believe it was his job to cherry pick the league for good plays that fit our personnel well. Also reports from the beginning that he was a sort of wunderkind offensive mind....but it was always just talk that we never saw.

Shanahan is definitely the extreme example, because it’s always been kinda obvious he was smarter than his head coaches. McVay, despite being overrated, was one too in recent memory.

Also like I kind of was saying, maybe he fits this role way better. Maybe he has a better ability to take in the info from the lower coaches, sift through it all, and present Doug with a better/more robust gameplan. That’s looking at the glass as all full though ha.

If they did that I’d hope we get a Senior Consultant like Caldwell, a new QB coach from a different type of system, and a WR coach that would add to the braintrust.

If it’s just Press, some nobody WR coach and a new young QB coach who’s just like some ex Andy tree QB...ima have to tap into my homer reserves to feel good about it in anyway. And it makes me desperately worried.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah we truly have no clue besides some anecdotal stuff about his contributions. Like I believe it was Press who was the trick play guy and added some flair the SB year. I believe it was his job to cherry pick the league for good plays that fit our personnel well. Also reports from the beginning that he was a sort of wunderkind offensive mind....but it was always just talk that we never saw.

Shanahan is definitely the extreme example, because it’s always been kinda obvious he was smarter than his head coaches. McVay, despite being overrated, was one too in recent memory.

Also like I kind of was saying, maybe he fits this role way better. Maybe he has a better ability to take in the info from the lower coaches, sift through it all, and present Doug with a better/more robust gameplan. That’s looking at the glass as all full though ha.

If they did that I’d hope we get a Senior Consultant like Caldwell, a new QB coach from a different type of system, and a WR coach that would add to the braintrust.

If it’s just Press, some nobody WR coach and a new young QB coach who’s just like some ex Andy tree QB...ima have to tap into my homer reserves to feel good about it in anyway. And it makes me desperately worried.

When people say "I don't trust Howie to draft players, so why should we draft players?" I have to think to myself, that it's because there is realistically no other way to sustain long term success and that you HAVE to draft players, you HAVE to get better at it. Now when it comes to hiring within, I sit on the other side of the fence. I don't trust us to hire from within, it hasn't had success doing so. Thing is, in no way shape or form do we need to hire from within. Why keep trying the same method which continually fails us when there is a clear alternative which can yield equivalent results without any real downside?

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

When people say "I don't trust Howie to draft players, so why should we draft players?" I have to think to myself, that it's because there is realistically no other way to sustain long term success and that you HAVE to draft players, you HAVE to get better at it. Now when it comes to hiring within, I sit on the other side of the fence. I don't trust us to hire from within, it hasn't had success doing so. Thing is, in no way shape or form do we need to hire from within. Why keep trying the same method which continually fails us when there is a clear alternative which can yield equivalent results without any real downside?

I agree with you

Just stating I don’t think Press has a positive or negative track record in this new role because he hasn’t done it. Groh proved fairly inept and unimaginative. Every time he spoke to the media he just didn’t seem to have it. So there is perhaps some addition by subtraction there.

But it’s all connected. Press could be the next great offensive mind, but if we don’t get WRs who will get open...if we don’t get a better secondary to help us get the ball back to the offense. It won’t work.

It also is a move I’d judge by who else is coming in around him.