2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

promoting press taylor is the equivalent of making juan castillo the defensive coordinator that would be completely terrible and honestly should put doug on the hot seat. If a coach cant maintain a good staff he's useless.

It’s not that bad... Juan to DC was one of the dumbest moves in Franchise history. This is just a mediocre move that inspires little confidence right now. At least he has a history on this side of the ball and has been well regarded internally for being a smart guy. 

But I agree it’s a move that exposes Dougie  to harsher criticism, as well as the organization as a whole since they are a part of the search this time. If Press is the guy and he fails, it shows that Doug can’t coach his coaches...and that’s not good.

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’s not that bad... Juan to DC was one of the dumbest moves in Franchise history. This is just a mediocre move that inspires little confidence right now. At least he has a history on this side of the ball and has been well regarded internally for being a smart guy. 

But I agree it’s a move that exposes Dougie  to harsher criticism, as well as the organization as a whole since they are a part of the search this time. If Press is the guy and he fails, it shows that Doug can’t coach his coaches...and that’s not good.

I dont think press taylor has done anything to be promoted at all. Its supposed to be a team effort on game planning and such and it hasnt been all that great the past two years so that should say everything we need to know about everyone on the staff right?

Also it felt like to me Lurie fired these guys not Doug. So if Doug doesnt make any real changes how does that make Lurie feel?

Edited by ninjapirate
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I dont think press taylor has done anything to be promoted at all. Its supposed to be a team effort on game planning and such and it hasnt been all that great the past two years so that should say everything we need to know about everyone on the staff right?

Also it felt like to me Lurie fired these guys not Doug. So if Doug doesnt make any real changes how does that make Lurie feel?

Oh I agree he’s done nothing that we can look at and feel warm and fuzzy about the move. But he’s at least not changing sides of the ball and has anecdotally been credited with good additions to the offense in the past. It’s not Juan levels horrible. Now if we hired Phillip Daniels to be OC instead of letting him go from DL coach....that’s a Juan level move. 

I think the OC role here is mostly a curation role. You have to take in scouting and gameplanning from the QB, Wr coaches for 3rd down and goal line. You need to talk to Stoutland about what he wants to do each week in the run game. Cross reference that with what Duce is doing with the RBs. Meld all that together and present Doug with what the consensus is thinking. So he can dial into what to attack each week. Reich did that great, Groh clearly sucked at it...we never set anything up well. The offense was disjointed. And the main passing attack sucked, which the OC is responsible for. Maybe Press is good at that? He’s always been pushed as some kind of smart up and comer since he was an asst. with Chip. We truly have no idea how he’ll perform in this role.

Yeah, Lurie was 100% the one who dropped the axe on their necks. I think whoever is the pick will be with Lurie’s blessing. Unless we truly are an undesirable destination. If Press is the guy, I think Lurie will be pushing for a senior advisor. As well as hopefully an experienced pro coach at WR coach. 

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Oh I agree he’s done nothing that we can look at and feel warm and fuzzy about the move. But he’s at least not changing sides of the ball and has anecdotally been credited with good additions to the offense in the past. It’s not Juan levels horrible. Now if we hired Phillip Daniels to be OC instead of letting him go from DL coach....that’s a Juan level move. 

I think the OC role here is mostly a curation role. You have to take in scouting and gameplanning from the QB, Wr coaches for 3rd down and goal line. You need to talk to Stoutland about what he wants to do each week in the run game. Cross reference that with what Duce is doing with the RBs. Meld all that together and present Doug with what the consensus is thinking. So he can dial into what to attack each week. Reich did that great, Groh clearly sucked at it...we never set anything up well. The offense was disjointed. And the main passing attack sucked, which the OC is responsible for. Maybe Press is good at that? He’s always been pushed as some kind of smart up and comer since he was an asst. with Chip. We truly have no idea how he’ll perform in this role.

Yeah, Lurie was 100% the one who dropped the axe on their necks. I think whoever is the pick will be with Lurie’s blessing. Unless we truly are an undesirable destination. If Press is the guy, I think Lurie will be pushing for a senior advisor. As well as hopefully an experienced pro coach at WR coach. 

100% agree on that last part. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:09 PM, ninjapirate said:

promoting press taylor is the equivalent of making juan castillo the defensive coordinator that would be completely terrible and honestly should put doug on the hot seat. If a coach cant maintain a good staff he's useless.

They should just go full Castillo and make Press Taylor DB's coach 

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

QB bias for sure

It took a year like SaQuon had to break the voters off of that. SMH

Dude literally had to lead the league in Yards From Scrimmage and broken tackles with a highlight reel Barry Sanders was impressed with.