How can the NFL improve/modernize officiating?

49ersfan

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Get rid of the PI challenge. I am 100% convinced Al Riveron and the officials intentionally sabotaged that experiment.

Struggling to name the examples but I know for a fact there were a couple instances this season that a challenge flag was thrown and I was certain it was going to be overturned. Clear and obvious was an understatement, and yet the call stood.

After that, I knew the whole thing was just for show.

They never had any intention of allowing this tool to be used to its extent.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1

Making pass interference reviewable is a step in the right direction. The only reason there was controversy with it is because the refs are arrogant and indignant and refused to overturn the calls despite clear evidence. Keep the new rule and hold the refs accountable for once. Every time they screw up it, all we ever get is an apology from the league. That doesn't help. Fire their *** for not doing their job.

Also, remove PI as a spot foul. Make it a 15 yard penalty. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Get rid of the PI challenge. I am 100% convinced Al Riveron and the officials intentionally sabotaged that experiment. I'm not willing to live through another season to be proven right or wrong lol.

Have these officials watch film of good and bad calls, evaluate it, discuss it, try to get on a consistent page about what they see and how they should respond to it. That would be at least something.

I don't see the logic in this. You want to let the refs win and give up on making the sport a fairer game? That's exactly what they want. I'd rather keep the rule in and let the refs continue to show their lack of integrity to the game in public. They'll either lose ratings or enough controversy will start up until they have to actually honor their own rules.

3 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

I don't see the logic in this. You want to let the refs win and give up on making the sport a fairer game? That's exactly what they want. I'd rather keep the rule in and let the refs continue to show their lack of integrity to the game in public. They'll either lose ratings or enough controversy will start up until they have to actually honor their own rules.

In terms of PI, unless Al Riveron gets fired, it isnt changing. Gene Steratore would be a good replacement for him.

If the rule stays in place, nothing will change. The league has proven that the officials are beyond reproach. You cant even call them out on their bias in a press conference without getting a fine.

• Like 1

I think there just has to be a switch in how the flags are called. Refs should be mostly bystanders and only show themselves when they see something really egregious to call. Let them play the damn game instead of inserting yourself into it for any minor thing you see. Also I think they need to split PI into a 10 or 15 yard counterpart and a spot foul. Giving up 40 yards because the QB under threw the ball and the corner couldn't react is BS. 

It's easily the most difficult sport to officiate. The main problem IMO is the players and coaches - every game - every single game - you see a coach berating an official over.....an obvious foul of some kind.

You see a player who KNOWS he didn't catch the ball trying to hide it. On a catch/non catch/fumble situation you see a team challenge it that wouldn't have challenged with a different result - none of these moves are about what's fair - it's about doing whatever it takes to win.

Officials are trying to manage that while also trying to see what happens on every play for what is the fastest moving sport in the world with the most moving parts.

One thing I think the NFL does need to do is decide whether they want the game actually officiated, or not. If they do, with the billions they make, there should be 22 officials in a booth somewhere, each watching a different player. Call every single infraction committed. Every single one. They can communicate with one ref that's on the field who will call the penalties out.

Or do what they are doing now, only call much less penalties. There should never be a questionable holding penalty called - that should be a fireable offense. It's impossible as a fan to fathom how there are missed (bad) holding calls and then called questionable holding calls. Same for PI.

46 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Making pass interference reviewable is a step in the right direction. The only reason there was controversy with it is because the refs are arrogant and indignant and refused to overturn the calls despite clear evidence. Keep the new rule and hold the refs accountable for once. Every time they screw up it, all we ever get is an apology from the league. That doesn't help. Fire their *** for not doing their job.

The only way making PI reviewable is a step in the right direction is if all other penalties are soon to follow. Or at least penalties of 10 yards or more.

40 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

I agree with this 100%.

In Locks debut game for Denver against the Chargers, he was coached to throw it downfield with seconds left on the clock in the 4th -- knowing that there was an extremely likely scenario with double coverage on the receiver (Sutton perhaps?) that someone was going to get DPI and set up a field goal on the spot.

Well, exactly that happened and the chargers lost the game.

Such a stupid rule and so easily exploitable.

47 minutes ago, Silver said:

4. Technology on the ball for field placement.

I like this. They should implement basically a mini GPS system with a microchip that gets planted on the ball. Triangulate to find the exact spot the ball was when the whistle was blown. Just coordinate the technology so that when the whistle is blown it takes a snapshot of where the ball was.