How can the NFL improve/modernize officiating?

49ersfan

There's been a big problem with the officiating this year. There's 2 likely reasons for that - either every qualified official to make it to the highest level of football sucks, or the game is hard to officiate as is and needs to be modernized. I believe it should be modernized, but how? I'm not an expert and maybe some of these ideas are far-fetched/bad, but just spitballing...

-Putting computer chips into the football to measure spots, to assist/replace the chain gang? 

-Sky judge? AAF used one i believe and it would help to have a set of eyes that views the whole field

-Making every penalty reviewable instead of PI? 

-Replacing Al Riveron as head of officiating?

How would you guys improve/modernize NFL officiating?

Officiating has always been horrible in the NFL. There was never a time and place where refs were consistently making great calls - go back and rewatch some 80's/90's games. There's some horrible officiating in those games.

What you're asking for is effectively never going to happen.

I honestly think it's at peak, unless we go down the AI route one day. Human error occurs all the time, it can't be prevented. It's a busy picture for officials, and I bet they get close to 90% of calls right. 

Not saying it's ideal or that it isn't outrageous at times, just that...doubt it can get better with humans in charge.

I thought Booger (hear me out) had a good idea, with 2 officials watching the tv angles live and if they see anything questionable, reviewing it. It wouldn't add any meaningful delay to the games, and would eliminate most egregious calls, really quickly.

• Like 2

Full time refs. Take some of these players with speed that flame out and give them a chance to learn the game in and out and actually have the speed to keep up with it. We pay so much money to go to these games, the least they could do is not have part time 60 year olds making the calls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

I thought Booger (hear me out) had a good idea, with 2 officials watching the tv angles live and if they see anything questionable, reviewing it. It wouldn't add any meaningful delay to the games, and would eliminate most egregious calls, really quickly.

I think they need to even one up when they had him on the sideline cart... I want to see Booger on the sky cam. Suspended over the field giving us the commentary we need, but not the commentary we deserve.

To be honest, there are issues with officiating, but none of this stuff has costed any teams the game.  The Vikings played better than the Saints yesterday overall.  The Bills were up 16-0 in the third quarter.  A ref didn't undo that huge lead, the Bills did.

Refs screw up, it's always going to happen.  There's no way to stop that.  In my opinion, the NFL has done enough to the officiating to try to minimize the amount of errors.  Maybe they need to cut certain refs or crews and get some new blood in there, but that's about it.

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Fix officiating? No no no. You guys are thinking on far too grand a scale. That's too big. 

Settle for figuring out what a catch is.

At this point in time I want to know what it means to "give yourself up", because apparently a QB diving head first is "giving himself up" now.

I also want to know what OPI is, because apparently fully extending your arm is not OPI, but whatever the hell Jacob Hollister did last night in SEA's game was?

Just now, Danger said:

Honestly as far as replay goes. It should be how College Football does it. Every play that's even remotely questionable gets reviewed by the booth. Coach's still get one challenge to use on their own accord.

Due to the nature of the NFL, that would be a lot more plays than college, though.  The players in the NFL are much more skilled and because of that plays would have a tendency to be questionable a lot more.

Just now, showtime said:

Due to the nature of the NFL, that would be a lot more plays than college, though.  The players in the NFL are much more skilled and because of that plays would have a tendency to be questionable a lot more.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If you ask me I think you're not really widening the goal, but rather moving the goalpost.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If you ask me I think you're not really widening the goal, but rather moving the goalpost.

Okay, but say there is more questionable plays on a play-by-play basis in the NFL that would need to be reviewed.  How much longer is that going to make the game?  That's the huge concern with these leagues in terms of just reviewing everything that's questionable.

Take the owners OUT of the equation and let the Refs do their job. Every season and every week we have a new " Point of Emphasis" as the owners tell the Refs how to do their job. There's no consistency to it and even with the new PI review, we've seen the pendulum swing back and forth over a couple of months with fans griping the entire time.

The Refs are handicapped by the owners meddling. That's one change that would help immensely.
They should also re-hire Blandino. Al Riveron is horrible at that job