How can the NFL improve/modernize officiating?

49ersfan

Just now, showtime said:

Okay, but say there is more questionable plays on a play-by-play basis in the NFL that would need to be reviewed.  How much longer is that going to make the game?  That's the huge concern with these leagues in terms of just reviewing everything that's questionable.

Again, I don't think there's any difference on the number of questionable calls between the NFL and College, but rather the nature of them due to the structure of the rules. They're just different. College actively has people reviewing each play basically in real time and just stops play IF it feels something needs to be reviewed. I think having 3 or 4 stoppages a game is pretty standard, and honestly its better than way. This isn't baseball where they need to actually try to speed things up. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

Just now, Danger said:

College actively has people reviewing each play basically in real time and just stops play IF it feels something needs to be reviewed.

Ah, I see.  I didn't know that.  That is something the NFL should adopt.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 2

I feel like the game needs to be made simpler. Seems to be so many rules and complexities where very minor stuff gets called or could go either way. That Rudolph TD is a good example. Did he push off, sure by the rules he technically did. Is that the type of call or ruling we want to see refs make on the field, probably not. I’m more on the side of just letting them play, call the blantant stuff sure, protect the players, yes, but all the dumb holding penalties or push offs seem to slow the game down more than what it’s worth since a case is often made that that type of stuff happens on every play.

dont know what the best fix is but there will always be an element of human error given how subjective NFL rules are.

id start by getting rid of defensive holding like was the case pre 2003? Let them fight it out for the first five yards. 

• Like 1

They said holding happens on every play. If some improvement were made so that it was known and called every time, would that make the game better or worse?

The argument for it being an improvement needs no explanation.

But what if it crippled a unit? How often is being a good lineman having strength, technique, athleticism, etc; and how often is it knowing how and/or when to get away with it?

AI is not even remotely close to being able to handle NFL officiating. The only thing it could really do is eliminate the chain gang. Computers are straight up stupid at anything that requires nuance or subjectivity. I wouldn't trust an AI to handle pass interference/holding to save my life.

*Identifying what a catch is

*Balance the scales slanted in favor of offenses (illegal contact killed cover 2), and even differentiating between a 10 yard pass interference that's more of the "incidental/not egregious" and a spot foul 45 yards downfield where a DB blatantly interferes/tackles a guy. Face guarding DPI penalties 45-50 yards downfield are just AWFUL, albeit Joe Flacco was paid over $100 million because of them.

*Give defensive players a chance to legitimately sack big QBs. You can't hit them low, you can't land on them, and you obviously can't hit them high up in the upper chest to head. Where exactly are you supposed to hit them?

I think they should sit 3 super knowledgeable football gurus in a booth and have them simply watch the game. These 3 guys would monitor the game in real-time with the crowd, on screens, and have access to the various cameras on the field.

Any time there is something that happens that seems super close, egregious, or whatever... These guys can pause the game for a review.

Realistically, there are only a small handful of calls at most in a given game that this would even apply to.

Well for one, hire one just to watch whoever is blocking Khalil Mack

Two, make all stupid calls reviewable and make them overturnable since some of the ones that were reviewed this season that should’ve been overturned weren’t because the nfl and refs don’t like to be wrong ever or something. 

Holding happens on almost every play, and now we're talking AI officiating? 

I'm not sure I want to watch 5 hours of play reviews. Next thing we know, the only way to actually score points is a safety from constantly moving backwards. 

Refs miss things in every game of every sport at every level. Good teams figure out how to win, bad teams don't. The number of times a single play put the nail in the coffin on a game, 100% and beyond any reasonable doubt, that also had a no-call penalty is nil comparatively speaking. 

People constantly complaining and nitpicking are why we can't even settle on what a damn catch is. 

Get rid of the PI challenge. I am 100% convinced Al Riveron and the officials intentionally sabotaged that experiment. I'm not willing to live through another season to be proven right or wrong lol.

Have these officials watch film of good and bad calls, evaluate it, discuss it, try to get on a consistent page about what they see and how they should respond to it. That would be at least something.