2020 Cowboys Free Agency

WizardHawk

I wouldn't mind Ruggs but I would still rather us take a serious look at Denzel Mims from Baylor who has No.1 potential and would be a serious redzone threat which we have been lacking with his incredible catch radius. The dude catches like Michael Thomas and Deandre Hopkins and may test in the 4.4's at the combine. I'm afraid he's going to work himself into the No.2 or No.1 position by the time the combine and pro days role around. 

7 minutes ago, D82 said:

We’re still going to be a 4-3, just going to see a lot more different looks and a more aggressive style than what we ran under Marinelli. 

Still think we see defense be addressed given it was a problem last year.

Right. Base 4-3, but multiple fronts is what I thought had seen. Either way, we agree, defensive heavy draft.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I do not support this.

Love Witten, but come on.  Time to move along.    Jarwin is a RFA.    Have to give him an opportunity, assuming we tender him and someone doesn't sign him.   Also, would not mind drafting another TE early.    I don't see us signing an Ebron or Vance McDonald with all the fa's we have to pay.

22 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Love Witten, but come on.  Time to move along.    Jarwin is a RFA.    Have to give him an opportunity, assuming we tender him and someone doesn't sign him.   Also, would not mind drafting another TE early.    I don't see us signing an Ebron or Vance McDonald with all the fa's we have to pay.

I actually see a very good chance of signing a free agent TE to pair with Jarwin. I'd actually like to see Eifert. 

On 1/31/2020 at 7:38 AM, SweetFancyMoses said:

Um, my post said “I do not support this” to him saying that he wants to keep playing. Not sure what there was to misunderstand.

The people who think the NFL teams in the biggest markets would suddenly start dominating everyone in an uncapped league need to take a closer look at how the NFL’s year-to-year parity stacks up against basically every other sport people follow. It’s not that far off.

The NFL has more year-to-year turnover in the playoffs than most leagues, but when you really take a closer look, the same 8 or 9 teams are pretty consistently better than most of the league and 7 or 8 are usually crappy. The AFC in particular has been dominated by 4 or 5 teams for the better part of two decades. One specific NFL team has won 6 of the last 20 titles, which I do not believe is true of any NBA, NHL or MLB team. The Yankees, the team everyone says the Cowboys will become without a salary cap, have 2 championships since 2000.

In sports where the spending inequity is truly gartuanan like baseball and European soccer, you still get pretty regular instances of small-market teams like KC or Leicester City going on surprise runs. Again, there’s more year to year turnover in the playoffs in the NFL than say the NBA, and a wider range of realistic contenders coming into the year, but that doesn’t mean the cap and draft’s essentiality to “parity” are things for fans to clamor for. If anything, the fact that any 8-8/9-7 caliber team has a theoretical chance to win it all in any given year... promotes complacency. Revenue sharing does the shame.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, plan9misfit said:

Um, my post said “I do not support this” to him saying that he wants to keep playing. Not sure what there was to misunderstand.

Haha, actually it was you who misunderstood Plan.  I was agreeing with you.  Time to move on was targeted for Witten not you. 

I absolutely hate the idea of getting rid of the salary cap. It would ruin the sport. Do you really think somebody is going to take way less money in a physical game such as football to play for a given team? Of course not. Whatever semblance of league parity we have would be tarnished.

If I'm being honest, I genuinely haven't seen a single argument for getting rid of it from anybody that's not a Cowboys or big market team fan. Which, sucks to say, but might be because we haven't been championship relevant since introducing the salary cap.