2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

some is forgettable.. in terms of shedding blocks but he flashes well and shows great quickness and speed.

Vea is powerful and will push the pocket decently which should lead to couple sacks in the NFL. but.. he isn't going to catching up to any qbs that can scramble at all. Rivers will be his 2 sacks. haha

Did a quick Fanspeak Mock (yes......I know :)) with NFL Draft board at 'difficult' level to try and get some realism and mostly interested in the lower half of the draft, anyway here's my draft and some explanations too:

R1 P10  Vita Vea DT - The idea being to solidify the middle and allow the LBs to make plays.

R2 P9  Leighton Vander Esch MLB - Should be able to roam free with Vea and Ellis in front and if we bring back Bowman short term would be a great vet for him to learn off.

R3 P11  Alex Cappa RT - Hard nosed and nasty, smaller school player who fits our smash mouth identity at RT.

R4 P10  Mike Gesicki TE - Athletic receiving TE to take over from Cook as we have our blocker in Smith. Schultz was also available and kind of regret not taking him instead as he's more complete!

R5 P22  PJ Hall DT - Not sure he drops this far but fits as a 3T penetrator in our scheme and can compete with Edwards, Vanderdoes and Ward.

R5 P36  Ola Adenyi Edge/LB - Aggressive edge rusher who should be able to do what Calhoun does but better, could potentially bulk to play RDE, like his toughness.

R6 P11  Brandon Facyson CB - Long, rangy press corner who's all potential at this stage, can compete at bottom end of roster as Conley and Melvin are undoubted starters.

R6 P38  Darius Jackson Edge/LB - Another aggressive edge who plays with high motor, will compete with Irvin, Calhoun, Cowser and Adenyi as rotational rusher.

R6 P42  DJ Reed CB - Small but feisty potential slot corner who plays tough and adds ST value as a returner.

R6 P43  Ade Aruna DE - Ideal size and athleticism for a Bengals type DE, all potential at this stage but he can sit and learn from some good coaches and Mack.

R7 P10  Byron Pringle WR - Productive WR who has had legal troubles but seems like the type Reggie would take a risk on in the 6th or 7th.

Would really appreciate feedback especially on the later round picks and who's too high and who's too low!

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Did a quick Fanspeak Mock (yes......I know :)) with NFL Draft board at 'difficult' level to try and get some realism and mostly interested in the lower half of the draft, anyway here's my draft and some explanations too:

R1 P10  Vita Vea DT - The idea being to solidify the middle and allow the LBs to make plays.

R2 P9  Leighton Vander Esch MLB - Should be able to roam free with Vea and Ellis in front and if we bring back Bowman short term would be a great vet for him to learn off.

R3 P11  Alex Cappa RT - Hard nosed and nasty, smaller school player who fits our smash mouth identity at RT.

R4 P10  Mike Gesicki TE - Athletic receiving TE to take over from Cook as we have our blocker in Smith. Schultz was also available and kind of regret not taking him instead as he's more complete!

R5 P22  PJ Hall DT - Not sure he drops this far but fits as a 3T penetrator in our scheme and can compete with Edwards, Vanderdoes and Ward.

R5 P36  Ola Adenyi Edge/LB - Aggressive edge rusher who should be able to do what Calhoun does but better, could potentially bulk to play RDE, like his toughness.

R6 P11  Brandon Facyson CB - Long, rangy press corner who's all potential at this stage, can compete at bottom end of roster as Conley and Melvin are undoubted starters.

R6 P38  Darius Jackson Edge/LB - Another aggressive edge who plays with high motor, will compete with Irvin, Calhoun, Cowser and Adenyi as rotational rusher.

R6 P42  DJ Reed CB - Small but feisty potential slot corner who plays tough and adds ST value as a returner.

R6 P43  Ade Aruna DE - Ideal size and athleticism for a Bengals type DE, all potential at this stage but he can sit and learn from some good coaches and Mack.

R7 P10  Byron Pringle WR - Productive WR who has had legal troubles but seems like the type Reggie would take a risk on in the 6th or 7th.

Would really appreciate feedback especially on the later round picks and who's too high and who's too low!

I like that draft... give me an explosive playmaker in round 3(RB or WR)

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

So now you like Vea?

I wouldn't't be mad if we draft him..drafting a run stuffer at 10 is a bit rich for me... there isn't many stud Dlineman, Wideouts, RB, LT, edge rusher at 10 spot

I prefer Edmunds, James, Ward over him...

Toss up between Vea , Payne , and R Smith if those guys are gone

The more I think about it, the more I realize how good of a spot we are in at ten. We are either going to have a shot at a blue chip defender, or a good opportunity to trade down.

Scenario One:

I’d be shocked if four QBs weren’t gone before we even pick. Not that I think it’s warranted, just how things work now. Can’t see the bills not trading back into the top five. Gotta figure Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are all gone before we pick. That means at least one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, and Smith/Edmunds would be around when we pick. I like the idea of drafting Vea, but there are question marks of consistent pass rush potential. I like him a lot, but think the dbs would do more in terms of causing turnovers. 

Scenario Two:

Cant see any less than three QBs going top ten. Could still have a shot at one of the aforementioned defenders, but we are also in a good trade down spot. Nobody between picks 6-9 has a need at qb, so there is no need to trade past us. If the bills don’t trade into the top ten, they may want to because Miami will take a qb if one is still available. Arizona is also sitting at 15 and probably does not want to put all their eggs in Bradford’s fragile basket.

Thoughts? Just hope Reggie takes proven players first three rounds. No more projects.

Personally I don't want Smith or Edmunds. So we're out of luck in that scenario for me haha.

Another thing is Gruden is running the show more than Reggie now. So we should probably try and project with that in mind. He specifically mentioned Secondary, OT,  WR, and Interior Pass Rusher when asked point blanket the other day about needs.

Even if Vea doesn't offer a pass rush, he could still make our pass rush much better. He can take on multiple blockers and collapse the pocket. Think about how much more often Mack and the other pass rushers would be able to get to the QB. He's a stud against the run, too, so he helps on multiple fronts. He'll never rack up the glamorous stats like sacks, but he can help everyone around him get more done.

Archived