How is Bill Cowher a HOF'er?

Uncle Buck

I just heard that Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson are both going to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  In the case of Jimmy Johnson, I totally agree and say "it's about time!"  But Bill Cowher?  That one really surprised me.  My opinion of him has always been that he was a slightly better than average head coach who was fortunate enough to have been hired by an organization like the Steelers, who keep their coaches around a long time, even if they don't win it all in the first few years.

They said Cowher had a lot of 10-6 seasons, but look at the division the Steelers are in.  The Browns and Bengals are usually good for an automatic 3-4 wins every year right there. 

Someone please explain why I'm off base here, because I think there are FAR more deserving candidates for the HOF, such as Don Coryell, etc.

• Like 3

Dumbest topic I've read in a while.  

You do realize that Cowher didn't have a quarterback to work with at all before Roethlisberger, right?  

He did really well with what he had.  

Coach of the Year after just his first season with Pittsburgh and went to the playoffs six straight years.  

Didn't have near the weapons on offense that Jimmy Johnson had either.  

TC is smoking something strong.  

Edited by RamblinMan99
  • Like 6

The Steelers are one of the more popular teams in the NFL. They are nearly the most popular if you go off of fanbase alone. Now we have a different perspective because of Roethlisberger and Tomlin - the Steelers have been one of the better teams in the NFL during Tomlin's run.

But in 2006, it had been 26 years since the Steelers had won the Super Bowl. Since the NFC won most of the Super Bowls during that time, the amazing thing is that they only won the AFC once prior to that. Teams that currently have a 26 year+ Super Bowl drought:

Bengals, Browns, Lions, Bears, Vikings, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Falcons, Cardinals, Redskins, Dolphins, Jets, Bills

Admittedly, several teams are close - Niners (if they don't win this year), Cowboys, Jags, Panthers and Titans - but they're not at 26 yet. Of the teams that are, only the Jets, Dolphins, Redskins, Raiders, Bears and Chiefs have actually won a Super Bowl.

So total, only 14/32 teams have a longer Super Bowl drought now than the Steelers had when Cowher won it in 2006 - but now factor in that the Steelers are, well, the Steelers - winning that Super Bowl (unjustly) probably carried more weight for people.

It's his fault that they never got a QB? Not sure why that would be used as an argument for him. And overall I agree that it's confusing that he got in - only thing I can think is that the Steelers had gone 26 years between winning it all, and for a legacy franchise that's quite a long time. Whoever next wins a Super Bowl for the Cowboys will probably be inducted into the HoF immediately.

There's no way Cowher should've gone in over Mike Holmgren. Holmgren coached 3 HOF QBs, won 3 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl as a coach, 2 as a coordinator/position coach and has a coaching tree that has won 3 Super Bowls as head coaches as well as Andy Reid who's highly accomplished in his own right.

Cowher was more of a TV stunt to me.

• Like 13

Cowher finished 161-99-1 in his career and his .619 win percentage was the highest of  the eight coaching finalists. 1-1 in Super Bowls and never really had a franchise QB until the tail end of his career. 

Eight division titles, 10 postseason berths and 6 appearances in the AFCG. He’s only the second coach to reach the postseason in each of his first 6 seasons. 

One 
year before the Steelers hired him, Cowher was interviewed for the vacant Bengals HC job to replace Sam Wyche, but lost out to David Shula. Cowher would go to finish 22-9 against the Bengals, the most wins against any opponent. 

Edited by Boknows34
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no way Cowher should've gone in over Mike Holmgren. Holmgren coached 3 HOF QBs, won 3 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl as a coach, 2 as a coordinator/position coach and has a coaching tree that has won 3 Super Bowls as head coaches as well as Andy Reid who's highly accomplished in his own right.

Holmgren deserves it and so would Reid if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not to mention Holmgren should've had the Superbowl win over Cowher to begin with. But we all know how that one ended...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Same reason Lynn Swann is in the HOF, or a running back with 3.9 career ypc. Sometimes who you played for is more important than how you played. And if you played for one of those "storied" franchises, doors will open that otherwise wouldn't have.

this is true and somehow bill nunn is not in as a contributor. the 70s steelers dynasty does not happen without him scouting for us. I think he should be in before Bill and Jerome

• Like 1

That's his fault for not finding a capable starter at QB for a decade plus. Don't understand why he should get credit for not having solved a problem. Cower was a great coach, but came up short so many times in the spotlight. The 1994 AFC Championship, the 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC Championship, 2001 AFC Championship, and 2004 AFC Championship. Four championship home games, four losses. He finally broke through in 2005, and I will say at his lowest moments his teams were always competitive. Still, he shouldn't have leapfrogged Mike Holmgren. That's bull****.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Not a freaking efffing chance 

biggest wtf moment for me. I wouldn’t be shocked if Hines Ward goes in. Just stupid. Troy should have gone in before him. 

Hines Ward will definitely get in and it will be a joke.

• Like 1