2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

He’s the perfect fit. This defense needs a “dog” that can be an enforcer out there. He’s that guy. The defense needs a pass rusher he can be that. This defense needs a physical run setting edge, he’s probably the best in the league in that capacity. And this defense needs a front 7 option that can take over games, he does that.

He really is a strong fit. Beast against the run, draws doubles, disruptive, can be moved up and down the line. Wink could do evil things with him. Not the top tier/elite pure rusher many are calling for, but in the end could be just as destructive overall. 

• Like 1

Think I'm in the minority on this one but I think I'd rather have Judon than Clowney. The college hype with him still seems to go a long ways towards warping people's perceptions of Clowney and I think that's gonna take him into a higher salary bracket than Judon when the production isn't necessarily that different. I know it's not the end-all but I'm just not sure I can get on board with paying Khalil Mack money for an EDGE guy who injury issues who probably gives us 6-8 sacks a season if his body even cooperates at all. Mind you minus the injury issues that's what makes Judon a little risky as well, but at least with him he's presumably coming somewhat cheaper, his development has trended in the right direction, and we'e already seen how he fits with this team.

Ngakoue is still the one I'd love the most out of those 3. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Clowney though. 

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Think I'm in the minority on this one but I think I'd rather have Judon than Clowney. The college hype with him still seems to go a long ways towards warping people's perceptions of Clowney and I think that's gonna take him into a higher salary bracket than Judon when the production isn't necessarily that different. I know it's not the end-all but I'm just not sure I can get on board with paying Khalil Mack money for an EDGE guy who injury issues who probably gives us 6-8 sacks a season if his body even cooperates at all. Mind you minus the injury issues that's what makes Judon a little risky as well, but at least with him he's presumably coming somewhat cheaper, his development has trended in the right direction, and we'e already seen how he fits with this team.

Ngakoue is still the one I'd love the most out of those 3. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Clowney though. 

Judon is weak against the run, over 50% of his pressures were unblocked or cleanup, his double team rate is at or near the bottom of his position group league wide, and we have the best CBs in the league.

Judon's numbers lie like a MFer.

It's fine to be weary of Clowney, specifically his injury history and price tag. He's a far superior player to Judon though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

BTW, here's Clowney's statement on his desired destination. Beautifully put. :D

This is the one pursuit this team has as well. Feel like if he visits this team he’s going to feel how hungry this group is for a ring and that will have him take a slight discount over what he could make. That’s my hope at least.

8 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don’t think it’s a contest Clowney is a year younger than Judon and in the last few seasons has really started to develop into something close to the draft hype. Since 2016 he’s got 7 more TFL than Khalil Mack with 8 less QB Hits. Clowney is hitting his prime years and one could expect his next 3 seasons to be his best based off of athletic primes we see in athletes.

The injuries are worrisome, but our training staff has done a good job the past few seasons of keeping most of the Ravens healthy, thus I'll bank on them being able to keep him more durable through the season than other teams.

I know Clowney is likely to get paid bank, but I think ultimately we might end up buying low if he can come here and win a DPOY. Clowney is essentially a more athletic version of Za’Darius Smith. He’s got the 7th best pass rush win rate in the NFL.

Though money talks. If he wants over $20m than I’m sure we’ll go elsewhere. But his impact against the run and pass makes him a superior fit over guys like Yannick IMO. Especially with how we generally have our edge guys contain while rushing vs letting loose.

Tbqh Clowney within this defense with Wink scheming up ways to have him wreck havoc and our corners being able to hold up... I could see Clowney seriously enter into the 2020 DPOY conversation.

I'm not tempering my expectations with DeCosta at the helm. He's way more aggressive than Newsome was. They went after Thomas last year and got him much to our surprise. Everything is on the table. Clowney makes too much sense not to explore the option and I'd imagine the interest will be mutual.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm not tempering my expectations with DeCosta at the helm. He's way more aggressive than Newsome was. They went after Thomas last year and got him much to our surprise. Everything is on the table. Clowney makes too much sense not to explore the option and I'd imagine the interest will be mutual.

Yeah, I share this sentiment. I have no idea how the cards will fall but I have zero doubt that our team will improve through FA. DeCosta has shown to be anything but laid back when there's a quality player to be had. 

One guy I'd really like to target in FA is Dante Fowler Jr. I truly believe he's a solid player. Depending on price and if Judon walks and we swing and miss on Clowney, he's a solid addition. 

Anyone have thoughts on Fowler? 

I'd also like to kick the tires on Gerald McCoy again this FA. He'll make the right decision this time. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

6 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Anyone have thoughts on Fowler? 

His play aside, I'm trying to remember if he was involved in some of those issues we had with the Rams. The whole Peters-Ramsey stuff. I feel like I remember him taking a cheap shot at Lamar or something too. IDK maybe I'm wrong, but I know 100% that he had some issues with a few teammates back in Jacksonville(Infamous blow up/fight video with Yannick chief among them). All of that could affect our pursuit of him.

12 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'd also like to kick the tires on Gerald McCoy again this FA. He'll make the right decision this time.

I wonder if he pissed off the FO? It's rare that the Ravens go as hard as they did for him, and still fail to land the player. We had Haloti talking to him- everything, and still he chose the....Panthers. It was weird and I wonder if we might feel a little standoffish towards him now as a result. 

9 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

His play aside, I'm trying to remember if he was involved in some of those issues we had with the Rams. The whole Peters-Ramsey stuff. I feel like I remember him taking a cheap shot at Lamar or something too. IDK maybe I'm wrong, but I know 100% that he had some issues with a few teammates back in Jacksonville(Infamous blow up/fight video with Yannick chief among them). All of that could affect our pursuit of him.

I wonder if he pissed off the FO? It's rare that the Ravens go as hard as they did for him, and still fail to land the player. We had Haloti talking to him- everything, and still he chose the....Panthers. It was weird and I wonder if we might feel a little standoffish towards him now as a result

I would hope that a business mindset would outweigh personal feelings. It's a business and he went another way. If there is ill will, I'm sure it could be worked out with a conversation and signing a 3 year deal 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I would hope that a business mindset would outweigh personal feelings. It's a business and he went another way. If there is ill will, I'm sure it could be worked out with a conversation and signing a 3 year deal 😂

I don’t want him at this point and not because he wouldn’t be the ideal fit. My reasoning is that either I prefer we land Clowney in which case we likely don’t have the money for McCoy and if we don’t land Clowney, I’d rather keep the comp we would lose by signing McCoy.

DeCosta is aggressive for sure, but he also likes draft picks. We can’t forget that a major attractive element with McCoy last season was that he was a cap casualty that didn’t count against the formula, that won’t be the case this season if he’s signed. McCoy is one year older now and his decision to join the Panthers makes me feel like he was more concerned with sticking it to the Bucs 2x last season than winning a championship. The veterans I want to join this team are the ones hungry to win a Super Bowl.

Outside of Marcel Dareus as a likely cap casualty, Calais Campbell is a possibility, and then there are the WRs that we could potentially target as well. If we miss out on Clowney, I would prefer we build the team with the top cap casualties to hit the market with guys like Watkins, Dareus, etc. 

Having watched Clowney this year, anyone thinking we're getting an elite pass rusher is delusional. That's not what Clowney is, by any stretch of the imagination. He is disruptive in the run game, though and I think that's where his specialty is. He'll have a game once every blue moon where he will dominate in every facet, and then he'll disappear for 4-5 games after that.

I like the idea of Clowney, but I can't help but be skeptical about him because I feel like every team wants to make him the guy, and he's just not that.