Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

23 hours ago, paul-mac said:

My pre-draft Sunday premonition. The 49ers are going to trade Deebo Samuel to the Jets for #10 overall, then they’ll take that 10th pick and add their two late 3rd round picks and trade them to the other New York team for #7 overall and a sixth rounder. That’ll allow them to replace Deebo with Jameson Williams. 

They can cut out the middle man and just trade Deebo and a 3rd to the Giants for 7.

Based on comments from the Chiefs GM, if they truly only have 1st round grades on up to 18 guys, I definitely think they will be trading up. I had floated 29+30 for 11 (1260 value for 1250) with Washington before (Chiefs could get a WR there that they like), and go from there. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Based on comments from the Chiefs GM, if they truly only have 1st round grades on up to 18 guys, I definitely think they will be trading up. I had floated 29+30 for 11 (1260 value for 1250) with Washington before (Chiefs could get a WR there that they like), and go from there. 

I’ve never quite understood this. How can you only have 18 first round grades? Surely if you think a guy is the 19th or 24th or 32nd best player on the board, then that makes him a first round grade? Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’ve never quite understood this. How can you only have 18 first round grades? Surely if you think a guy is the 19th or 24th or 32nd best player on the board, then that makes him a first round grade? Makes no sense to me. 

I think it means that the Chiefs only have 18 players they expect will meet the criteria of what they consider "first rounders." E.g. if they define a first rounder as a quality day one starter, there may not be 32 of those.

However, I generally agree with you that it's reductive to define what a first rounder is based on some arbitrary definition because the top 32 players are, strictly, first rounders. Every draft is different.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think it means that the Chiefs only have 18 players they expect will meet the criteria of what they consider "first rounders." E.g. if they define a first rounder as a quality day one starter, there may not be 32 of those.

However, I generally agree with you that it's reductive to define what a first rounder is based on some arbitrary definition because the top 32 players are, strictly, first rounders. Every draft is different.

I quite like the way the Packers do it (or at least used to when Ted Thompson was the GM). They’ve got a grading system to rank the players, but they don’t assign a round as such. They’ll just take the best player available at their pick. For example, a player with a grade of (say) 87, might be enough to be the 15th overall pick in a weaker year, whereas he might go in the second round in a stronger year, so it’s pretty dumb to just assign a round grade to a player and then you end up making ridiculous statements like the Chiefs GM has here. 

• Like 1

Latest Tony Pauline tidbits:

- Baalke wants Walker but Khan wants Hutchison. There is also some late buzz on Ekwonu for #1.

- Some late buzz that the Texans love Derek Stingley Jr and may be ready to take him at 3

- Chiefs love Boye Mafe 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I quite like the way the Packers do it (or at least used to when Ted Thompson was the GM). They’ve got a grading system to rank the players, but they don’t assign a round as such. They’ll just take the best player available at their pick. For example, a player with a grade of (say) 87, might be enough to be the 15th overall pick in a weaker year, whereas he might go in the second round in a stronger year, so it’s pretty dumb to just assign a round grade to a player and then you end up making ridiculous statements like the Chiefs GM has here. 

Imo, assigning a round grade as part of a structure helps a team identify whether it may be better to trade up or down through the rounds or even out of that draft all together. 

If you have 15 players with grades you seem worthy of a first round pick and they are all gone by the time you pick at 20, it may be better for you to trade down into the top half of round two where you feel like you can get a guy you like at a better value while also amassing more picks down the line. The theory here is that you aren't wasting value by over drafting or reaching on players because you have a pick so you feel like you need to take a player.

22 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

- Baalke wants Walker but Khan wants Hutchison. There is also some late buzz on Ekwonu for #1.

- Some late buzz that the Texans love Derek Stingley Jr and may be ready to take him at 3

- Chiefs love Boye Mafe 

Don't love Mafe for the Chiefs, although I wouldn't be shocked if Veach trades up in round 1 and have a shot at Jermaine Johnson only to select Mafe instead.

If the Jags really do go Walker at 1, good for them. You have the #1 pick- swing for the fences. Walker's athleticism and size is truly otherworldly.

On an unrelated note, can someone who likes him sell me on Stingley? I understand his freshman tape is unbelievable, but I have a really hard time liking a guy who both has an awful injury history and did not get better in college. What do you see that makes you think he'd be a good selection? What is the positive projection?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Don't love Mafe for the Chiefs, although I wouldn't be shocked if Veach trades up in round 1 and have a shot at Jermaine Johnson only to select Mafe instead.

I have Mafe to the Chiefs, but in the 2nd round.  I'm a bit surprised he's still hanging on as a late 1st round grade.

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It seems that pretty much everyone is on the same page now that Linderbaum is not going in the first.  Karlaftis surprises me I guess.  I mean, no matter how much KC seems to like Mafe, they wouldn't really pass on Karlaftis for him right?

40 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I have no dog in this fight for who the Jags pick #1 overall, but I struggle to see why they wouldn't go with Ekwonu with this pick. Walker and Hutchinson don't strike me as "generational prospects" at DE like a Julius Peppers type prospect. Why not take an OL to beef up that OL to try and get a top tier OL for your 2nd year QB that was considered a "generational prospect" just last year. Get a foundation around him to let him flourish for years to come.