Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I have no dog in this fight for who the Jags pick #1 overall, but I struggle to see why they wouldn't go with Ekwonu with this pick. Walker and Hutchinson don't strike me as "generational prospects" at DE like a Julius Peppers type prospect. Why not take an OL to beef up that OL to try and get a top tier OL for your 2nd year QB that was considered a "generational prospect" just last year. Get a foundation around him to let him flourish for years to come.

I don't think they Jaguars are particularly weak on the offensive line, especially at tackle. From what I saw, offensive line wasn't the issue last year--Lawrence just played bad.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I’ve never quite understood this. How can you only have 18 first round grades? Surely if you think a guy is the 19th or 24th or 32nd best player on the board, then that makes him a first round grade? Makes no sense to me. 

I've always disliked this as well.  I get where people are coming from when they grade this way, but to me it is very straight forward that the top 32 on your big board have first round grades.  I'll even reluctantly buy it if you want to say you have like 27 first round guys, and then players 28-37 are graded as 1-2, but I don't even like that method either.

Come draft day, a team should have 32 first round grades, 32 second round grades, 41 third round grades, 38 fourth round grades, 36 fifth round grades, 42 sixth round grades, and 41 seventh round grades.

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I have no dog in this fight for who the Jags pick #1 overall, but I struggle to see why they wouldn't go with Ekwonu with this pick. Walker and Hutchinson don't strike me as "generational prospects" at DE like a Julius Peppers type prospect. Why not take an OL to beef up that OL to try and get a top tier OL for your 2nd year QB that was considered a "generational prospect" just last year. Get a foundation around him to let him flourish for years to come.

I think a lot of teams see Ekwonu as a LG, and you just can't pick a LG at #1 IMO.

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think they Jaguars are particularly weak on the offensive line, especially at tackle. From what I saw, offensive line wasn't the issue last year--Lawrence just played bad.

The RT position was horrendous. Had a whole lot more to do with the scheme/Urban and the lack of WRs (Treadwell/Tavon Austin were focal points) than Lawrence though.

Cam Robinson is likely locked up long term to play LT and they have Walker Little who should push for the starting RT spot though. Whoever we take OL wise likely would play LG, at least year 1.

2 minutes ago, eh3034 said:

I think a lot of teams see Ekwonu as a LG, and you just can't pick a LG at #1 IMO.

Would you rather have Quenton Nelson or Baker Mayfield?  That said, I don't think Ekwonu is as good a prospect as Nelson.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Would you rather have Quenton Nelson or Baker Mayfield?  That said, I don't think Ekwonu is as good a prospect as Nelson.

Except it’s not Nelson vs Mayfield. It’s Nelson vs a great pass rusher. 

I wouldn’t be mad at all if they took Ekwonu or even Neal/Cross, but the top 5-6 prospects are close enough in talent that need is the tiebreaker, and for me that puts pass rusher in play.

I’d quite like to see them trade back into the first round for Daxton Hill. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Yeah they aren't weak necessarily on the OL, but I guess my thought is why not put efforts in to making it a top 5 unit going forward. I know some thought Jawaan Taylor could slot in as a OG in the NFL when he was a prospect. My understanding he's been "serviceable" at RT, and I'd think he'd be solid at OG. Having Ekwanu and Robinson at the tackle spots could give them a foundation for an excellent OL for years to come.

Edited by tyler735

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Latest Tony Pauline tidbits:

- Baalke wants Walker but Khan wants Hutchison. There is also some late buzz on Ekwonu for #1.

- Some late buzz that the Texans love Derek Stingley Jr and may be ready to take him at 3

- Chiefs love Boye Mafe 

Normally I would say some of these are smokescreens, I actually think Texans might legit take Stingley at 3 based on the rumors. 

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Except it’s not Nelson vs Mayfield. It’s Nelson vs a great pass rusher. 

I wouldn’t be mad at all if they took Ekwonu or even Neal/Cross, but the top 5-6 prospects are close enough in talent that need is the tiebreaker, and for me that puts pass rusher in play.

I’d quite like to see them trade back into the first round for Daxton Hill. 

At least one of Hutch, Thibs, or Walker is going to suck.  Statistically based on draft history, it's almost a certainty.

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think a better question is, which combo would you rather have? Hutch/Travon and Strange/Ingram, or Ekwonu/Neal and Bonitto/Cameron Thomas?  My opinion, drafting Strange/Ingram to play LG at 65 is not a big drop-off compared to the drop you would get at edge.  Now, if you think Ekwonu is a franchise LT then that's different, but that's just not what he is.

Unrelated point, Quenton Nelson is very overrated, just watch his week 18 game vs JAX where Wentz was made the scapegoat but every "all-pro" on that team laid down that day.

15 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah they aren't weak necessarily on the OL, but I guess my thought is why not put efforts in to making it a top 5 unit going forward. I know some thought Jawaan Taylor could slot in as a OG in the NFL when he was a prospect. My understanding he's been "serviceable" at RT, and I'd think he'd be solid at OG. Having Ekwanu and Robinson at the tackle spots could give them a foundation for an excellent OL for years to come.

You don't need a top 5 OL to be successful. More teams are coming around to the thought process that your OL is as good as your weakest link and you don't need 5 studs, but you do need 5 serviceable guys + depth.

• Like 1