Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Two recent ones have been drafted in the first round, and both have serious questions about information processing. Until someone proves to be able to do it at the NFL level, the concern is there. The play in a simplistic offense with some of the great WR corps in college football history. 

It's unfortunate Joe Burrow broke his thumb and transferred.

That said, Dwayne Haskins did have Scary Terry McLaurin, but that was it. He had Benjamin Victor opposite him with Johnnie Dixon and Austin Mack in the mix...so to say Haskins somehow had "some of the great WR corps in college football history" is really kind of a head scratcher.

Haskins only started the one year.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That said, Dwayne Haskins did have Scary Terry McLaurin, but that was it. He had Benjamin Victor opposite him with Johnnie Dixon and Austin Mack in the mix...so to say Haskins somehow had "some of the great WR corps in college football history" is really kind of a head scratcher.

I'd also say that Haskins and Fields played in different systems funny enough. Haskins played in a West Coast spread system with a lot of short pre-snap read throws and heavy crossing routes under Urban whereas Fields was in a downfield passing attack under Day.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fields and Stroud definitely did. I don’t think that’s debatable. Granted, Burrow also had one of the greatest WR corps in history, but he also played in an NFL offense and looked like the most proficiency college passer of all-time out there. 

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

Fields and Stroud definitely did. I don’t think that’s debatable.

Correct, but you put Haskins into the mix. Haskins had nowhere near the talent and played in a different system. So at this point, you're down to a drafted QB in Fields and one not yet drafted in Stroud per your point/argument on weapons, system, and processing pertaining to the OSU QBs.

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

Granted, Burrow also had one of the greatest WR corps in history, but he also played in an NFL offense and looked like the most proficiency college passer of all-time out there. 

For sure. Like I said, it's too bad all around. He was Mr. Ohio in HS, his dad is/was a coach here, he went to OSU and was the leader in the QB competition, then broke his thumb, couldn't practice in the spring, Haskins won by default, and he transferred after graduating from OSU.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct, but you put Haskins into the mix. Haskins had nowhere near the talent and played in a different system. So at this point, you're down to a drafted QB in Fields and one not yet drafted in Stroud per your point/argument on weapons, system, and processing pertaining to the OSU QBs.

For sure. Like I said, it's too bad all around. He was Mr. Ohio in HS, his dad is/was a coach here, he went to OSU and was the leader in the QB competition, then broke his thumb, couldn't practice in the spring, Haskins won by default, and he transferred after graduating from OSU.

Perhaps it’s a matter of sample size. Time will tell. But it certainly isn’t encouraging when he bombs his testing. 

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This would be like me leaking out that Bijan had a 5.13 40 time to get him to drop. I don't quite understand that.  Teams have access to the scores, so I'm not sure what a person would have to gain to leak out this information besides making someone look bad in the public eye (which is different than impacting other teams, obviously). I'd have to listen to the pod, but it would make more sense to me if the data being revealed is incomplete or provided out of context rather than just "wrong" which is something I believe that someone posted earlier. The leaked score for Jake Haener is in line with what he revealed his score to be earlier this off season, I will say. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This would be like me leaking out that Bijan had a 5.13 40 time to get him to drop. I don't quite understand that.  Teams have access to the scores, so I'm not sure what a person would have to gain to leak out this information besides making someone look bad in the public eye (which is different than impacting other teams, obviously). I'd have to listen to the pod, but it would make more sense to me if the data being revealed is incomplete or provided out of context rather than just "wrong" which is something I believe that someone posted earlier. The leaked score for Jake Haener is in line with what he revealed his score to be earlier this off season, I will say. 

I'm betting it's a "portion" of the test, almost like if I told you that some kid's ACT score was a 15. Actually, his ACT score is a 25, but he did get a 15 on the reading portion because he's a slow reader and we are going to omit the Math, Science, and ELA portions as well as his comprehension score which is through the roof.

• Like 1