Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Anyone have any theories why odds Levis going top five are soaring, while Richardson’s stock is going stone cold in the space of one week?

Pre combine, I thought most rankings had Levis in the top 5-10 mix and Richardson a mid to late first.  Post combine Richardson rose and levis dropped some.  

So probably some form of correction back to pre combine status for rankings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Anyone have any theories why odds Levis going top five are soaring, while Richardson’s stock is going stone cold in the space of one week?

I think a lot of it is the smoke that Indy is in on Levis (and the presumptive assumption that they'd never pass on QB), that the Texans are out on QBs outside of Young, and the random smear campaign that Stroud has dealt with over the past week.

32 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It's the inevitable confluence of intelligence and influence that replays itself every year just before draft day.  Talking heads get tired of parroting the same nonsense they've spouted all along, slap two disparate facts together, and generate clicks with a new and shocking "theory". 

Not that many care, but the numbers suggest that #2 overall is a slight overreach for Levis.  The college support/achievement ratio indicates that Stroud will disappoint any team high enough in draft order to take him.  Obviously, Hooker is the best QB coming out but he is too much of a health risk now and moving forward.

Richardson is a fine young competitor but he can't hit water from a boat and hasn't responded well to coaching.  He could work as a cheat code for Baltimore or Carolina but the latter seems more interested in a passer.

If the Texans are taking a QB it doesn't make much sense for it to be Levis at 2. They might very well have a chance at him at 12. If the Colts take him at 4, so be it. Texans should just take Stroud at 2 (assuming Young goes at 1) and give him JSN at 12 to get his career off to a good start. The difference in betting odds between Levis and Stroud is unreal. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

If the Texans are taking a QB it doesn't make much sense for it to be Levis at 2. They might very well have a chance at him at 12. If the Colts take him at 4, so be it. Texans should just take Stroud at 2 (assuming Young goes at 1) and give him JSN at 12 to get his career off to a good start. The difference in betting odds between Levis and Stroud is unreal. 

I'm not sure how many teams think like that though, especially when it comes to Quarterbacks. It's too important of a position to split hairs. If that's the guy you want, and he's worth 12, he's probably worth #2 for most teams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Insiders getting more of a feel for what NFL teams actually think. Seems to happen every year right before the Draft.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure how many teams think like that though, especially when it comes to Quarterbacks. It's too important of a position to split hairs. If that's the guy you want, and he's worth 12, he's probably worth #2 for most teams. 

I did read one galaxy-brained theory that the Texans were leaking the idea of not taking a quarterback at 2, so the Colts (as a division rival) would relax on getting a deal done to move up with the Cardinals - who may then start negotiations with a separate quarterback needy team. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Could just be talk, but also could be a situation where Levis "falling" were always media narrative driven and not indicative of what was actually going on in front offices. I said during the national championship playoff that I thought there were going to be teams who absolutely loved Levis and had him above Stroud. Wouldn't shock me at all if that were the case. 

• Like 1

Tony Pauline nuggets:

- People around the league are split on whether there will be a very early run on QBs in the top 3 or if they’ll slide a little. The belief is the Colts will take a QB at 4 and Stroud won’t get past the Raiders at 7
- Texans might lean Anderson over Wilson due to his Medicals 
- Paris Johnson could go as early as 3 overall. Skoronski is viewed as a RT/G whereas Johnson can be a franchise LT
- Seattle not all in on Jalen Carter
- JSN is the clear WR1
- Deonte Banks CB3
- Saints love Calijah Kancey
- Eagles love Adetomiwa Adebawore

• Like 2