Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

32 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Bet Will Anderson while you can.

If Carolina goes Bryce and Houston goes Anderson, who trades up to #3 and for whom? Stroud, Richardson, Carter, Levis? Colts will sit and take a QB at #4, Seattle probably goes Carter at #5 if he's there and Anderson gone, Lions at #6 are where it starts to get murky. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

If Carolina goes Bryce and Houston goes Anderson, who trades up to #3 and for whom? Stroud, Richardson, Carter, Levis? Colts will sit and take a QB at #4, Seattle probably goes Carter at #5 if he's there and Anderson gone, Lions at #6 are where it starts to get murky. 

I think both Seattle and Detroit are sneaky teams that could take a QB (Richardson or Levis) and have them sit behind Smith/Goff.  I don't think either move up for 1, but each have teams that probably don't figure to be picking this high in the next few years, so taking a swing at a QBOTF is not a bad move.  Would be tough to pass on a player at another position, but the importance of the QB position makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I think both Seattle and Detroit are sneaky teams that could take a QB (Richardson or Levis) and have them sit behind Smith/Goff.  I don't think either move up for 1, but each have teams that probably don't figure to be picking this high in the next few years, so taking a swing at a QBOTF is not a bad move.  Would be tough to pass on a player at another position, but the importance of the QB position makes sense to me.

Also in this scenario where both Anderson and Carter maybe off the board, the caliber of these prospects is closer to a typical 15/16th overall pick rather than 5/6, so the opportunity cost is a bit lower than usual.

The answer is the Raiders are the team that moves to three. Jimmy's contract was structured to suck all the pay out and make him a backup, but commit "starter" money to him when he's a starter. The plan is to replace him with a raw rookie based off of the deal they gave him. Arizona can then pick between Christian Gonzalez or maybe Jalen Carter at seven. seven also is about as early as an OL can reasonably go in this class if that's the direction they want to go in, but then that opens up Titans at 11 as well for a competing bid. The Raiders probably wanted Bray, but he retired. The at least considered Rodgers, then stopped bidding against the Jets and signed Jimmy to a contract that wants him to become QB2 (eventually). The Raiders are taking a QB, and they signaled it early enough there is probably a specific one. 

It would be funny if the Cardinals have a one man BB of Will Anderson, and the Texans snipe that at #2, then below market trade up from 12 to 3 to still get their QB.

Indianapolis media team always does a great job with these videos every year. Really cool to get an inside look at the process.

There was one snippet I found VERY interesting at 14:40. Ballard was talking about his first pick, said they’re comfortable picking at 4, but “it doesn’t mean they won’t move up to 3, it doesn’t mean we won’t move back”. Very specific in detailing 3 as their landing spot moving up, meaning A.) Houston is refusing to trade the pick because they’re happy picking whoever at 2, or B.) Houston doesn’t want to deal with a division rival. 

If I had to guess today, it’s:

1.) CAR - Bryce Young

2.) HOU - Will Anderson

3.) IND (trade) - CJ Stroud

4.) ARI - Tyree Wilson

I just can’t get my head around either Houston or Indy “loving” Will Levis. I just can’t, not in the top 5.

If Will Anderson really goes #2 (I still believe it will be Stroud or Young, not sold on Young as the slam dunk #1 either), then if i'm Arizona, I trade back from 3 to 4, and then I trade back again from 4 to somewhere in the 7-11 range.  That could possibly net them 3 more day 2 picks.