Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I tried telling Texans fans (not the ones that post here) the same thing.  Their reasoning is "who cares if he pans out playing for a divisional rival".  If he goes to the Titans or Colts and has a very good rookie year then everyone in the front office should be canned.  

Whilst simultaneously selling the ownership and fan base on another year of Davis Mills? You’re not coming back, my friend. Godspeed.

37 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Would they not be using that #12 for Lance? That’s what I’d be asking if I’m the 49ers

The centerpiece would likely involve #33 in some manner imo.  Anything less probably doesn't move the needle for the niners. The niners could send something back as well to get Houston to part with #33. 

So like Lance + 101 for #33. 

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Well this should hopefully be the end of the S2 fad after this draft. Levis is about to kill any correlation of success with this test lol.

Not at all. I don't think anyone looks at it as guaranteed success. This isn't a new test - its been given out to QBs for almost a decade I think, and baseball has been using it for longer, I'm pretty sure. Nobody should be under the delusion that it guarantees success and they probably have scores in the past that already show that. 

However, what teams can use if for is a threshold cut off. In the interview that was referenced earlier with Lance Z, he stated that thus far there hadn't been a QB that became a successful starter with a bad score. I don't know the ins and out or specific details to that (what score, where these particular guys were drafted, etc), I'm just stating it because there may already be correlation for teams between that score and failure...which is kind of just as important. 

This is no different than a 40 yard dash to me. If a running back runs a 4.25 40, it's not a guarantee for success.  If a running back runs a 4.82 40, I'm not drafting him. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not at all. I don't think anyone looks at it as guaranteed success. This isn't a new test - its been given out to QBs for almost a decade I think, and baseball has been using it for longer, I'm pretty sure. Nobody should be under the delusion that it guarantees success and they probably have scores in the past that already show that. 

However, what teams can use if for is a threshold cut off. In the interview that was referenced earlier with Lance Z, he stated that thus far there hadn't been a QB that became a successful starter with a bad score. I don't know the ins and out or specific details to that (what score, where these particular guys were drafted, etc), I'm just stating it because there may already be correlation for teams between that score and failure...which is kind of just as important. 

This is no different than a 40 yard dash to me. If a running back runs a 4.25 40, it's not a guarantee for success.  If a running back runs a 4.82 40, I'm not drafting him. 

It's kind of like a "first date". It's too early to know if she's THE ONE, but it's not too early to know that she's not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This is no different than a 40 yard dash to me. If a running back run a 4.25 40, it's not a guarantee for success.  If a running back runs a 4.82 40, I'm not drafting him. 

My response was a bit tongue in cheek. More pointing fun at many draftniks overvaluing what is largely a new “fad”. Even if it has been around for a bit for NFL teams. These results going public are a very new development. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Doesn’t help the question about processing issues with OSU QBs

I always kind of got a chuckle out of this urban legend. There have been exactly 3 OSU QB's taken in the first round.

Art Schlichter: Cocaine and Gambling; Off the field bust

Dwayne Haskins: Mid first round pick, 3rd QB taken overall

Justin Fields: 4th QB taken overall, not a Top 10 selection

So, I guess I don't really see what OSU QB's they've had other than Art who've been drafted highly or how that's an OSU QB thing? It's not like the old Jeff Tedford QB thing before Rodgers or even Lincoln Riley, who had Baker and Kyler go #1 overall and underwhelm, albeit Hurts helps that exponentially.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Whilst simultaneously selling the ownership and fan base on another year of Davis Mills? You’re not coming back, my friend. Godspeed.

I mean, I don't know if it matters that much more that it's to a division rival than to any other team.  You pass on a QB at 2, and the Raiders take him at 3 and he has a great rookie season, are you any safer?  You've still got Davis Mills, and the Jags continue upward or the Titans bounce back and win the division again.  I don't know if it makes it worse for them where the QBs go and pan out.