Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Pretty much. Keep in mind that draft bets are very low totals/volume, so they aren't really bet by professionals (too volatile). This combo means that narratives and hype (and some info) can wildly swing the odds. Only real exception is the first overall since if you have good info, pros will make the bet to get a bit of 'free' money. Once you get past those locked in picks, there's too much variation to account for outside.

I just have a hard time believing it to be true. Athletic profile is the difference-maker here. Gonzalez fits the prototypical mold of an elite corner and Witherspoon's profile is underwhelming and incomplete. Gonzalez is taller, longer, faster, younger (only 20!), and tested to prove it. Witherspoon is undersized, lacks length, ran average, and is almost a complete unknown athletically. I get that the tape ultimately matters most, but when splitting hairs these "check boxes" matter.

I get the Detroit speculation. Dan Campbell loves knee-biters, they don't value their board based on "running in pajamas", Witherspoon's former team mate is already with the Lions (Kerby Joseph), etc. But if you look back over the last decade, the first CB taken always profiles similar to Gonzalez - because these are typically your Pro Bowl corners. Even if the Lions pass, I just can't see the majority of teams having Witherspoon as CB1. Having Witherspoon at -200 is too much. The lines should be closer to even IMO, if not leaning towards Gonzalez.

How many 5'11, 180 lbs, 31-inch armed corners who run a 4.45 Pro Day 40 get drafted in the top 10?Am I crazy here or what?

Edited by SmittyBacall

26 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I just have a hard time believing it to be true. Athletic profile is the difference-maker here. Gonzalez fits the prototypical mold of an elite corner and Witherspoon's profile is underwhelming and incomplete. Gonzalez is taller, longer, faster, younger (only 20!), and tested to prove it. Witherspoon is undersized, lacks length, ran average, and is almost a complete unknown athletically. I get that the tape ultimately matters most, but when splitting hairs these "check boxes" matter.

I get the Detroit speculation. Dan Campbell loves knee-biters, they don't value their board based on "running in pajamas", Witherspoon's former team mate is already with the Lions (Kerby Joseph), etc. But if you look back over the last decade, the first CB taken always profiles similar to Gonzalez - because these are typically your Pro Bowl corners. Even if the Lions pass, I just can't see the majority of teams having Witherspoon as CB1. Having Witherspoon at -200 is too much. The lines should be closer to even IMO, if not leaning towards Gonzalez.

How many 5'11, 180 lbs, 31-inch armed corners who run a 4.45 Pro Day 40 get drafted in the top 10?Am I crazy here or what?

I do think tape matters most.

Denzel Ward has similar arm length and size. He ran much faster. He went #4 and is really good.

Jaire Alexander, similar measurements to Ward, went 18 in the same draft. Also really good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I do think tape matters most.

Denzel Ward has similar arm length and size. He ran much faster. He went #4 and is really good.

Jaire Alexander, similar measurements to Ward, went 18 in the same draft. Also really good.

Fair enough on the size front, but those two also tested like elite athletes. I guess it's the lack of testing that is the question mark for me.

20 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Can someone explain why Devon Witherspoon is the heavy betting favourite as the first CB taken? Is it solely the Detroit connection?

Because he’s the best CB in the class. I was late to him, but his tape is fantastic & what he does to ballcarriers is night & day compared to Gonzales, who is merely average in that regard. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Because he’s the best CB in the class. I was late to him, but his tape is fantastic & what he does to ballcarriers is night & day compared to Gonzales, who is merely average in that regard. 

Illinois in general had a pretty surprising number of relevant prospects

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Fans get caught up in the big hitting but Gonzo has an under 5% missed tackle percentage while Spoon has over 11%. I’ll take the more reliable tackler. Love Spoon though. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Fans get caught up in the big hitting but Gonzo has an under 5% missed tackle percentage while Spoon has over 11%. I’ll take the more reliable tackler. Love Spoon though. 

I view it as urgency. Witherspoon brings violence with urgency. Gonzo kinda stumbles into his tackles. I think Witherspoon is a real hammer at cornerback to the point where he legitimately looks like a linebacker out there. I do think we’re splitting hairs, but they do NOT look similar in terms of tackling on tape.

• Like 1