Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I always find medical drops funny. "Oh no he got hurt playing football"

There's almost always some structural degradation when you have a serious injury.  Whether it's wear on the surrounding ligaments/joint, scar tissue, or lack of explosive ability.  If it happens once, probably no big deal.  Multiple times and it adds up.

I saw it in GB with Randall Cobb.  He got hurt so much it sapped his athleticism.  Gurley's knee injuries caught up to him.  I think we see the same thing soon with Will Fuller.  

Plus, some people are just more likely to get injured than others.  

There's a chance it's just really bad luck, because that is the case sometimes, but other times, it's a sign of a pattern.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I always find medical drops funny. "Oh no he got hurt playing football"

You laugh, but it's not nearly as funny when your MVP caliber HB falls apart at 25 years old or your QB stands a one-in-three chance of actually playing a full season. It matters. Obviously, you have to weigh the concern versus the talent. Is four to five years of a first round talent worth a third round pick? Maybe.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You laugh, but it's not nearly as funny when your MVP caliber HB falls apart at 25 years old or your QB stands a one-in-three chance of actually playing a full season. It matters. Obviously, you have to weigh the concern versus the talent. Is four to five years of a first round talent worth a third round pick? Maybe.

We've seen guys drop for less. Gurley had sever knee issues but was still picked high. Marcus Lattimore was an example where it made sense to pass on him but guys with hamstring issues or who broke a bone have dropped because of these things.

Best example this year is Shenault, I think his injury concerns are overblown personally. Most came from playing hurt and his physical style. Teams should believe in their strength staffs and doctors enough to draft talented players.

27 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We've seen guys drop for less. Gurley had sever knee issues but was still picked high. Marcus Lattimore was an example where it made sense to pass on him but guys with hamstring issues or who broke a bone have dropped because of these things.

Best example this year is Shenault, I think his injury concerns are overblown personally. Most came from playing hurt and his physical style. Teams should believe in their strength staffs and doctors enough to draft talented players.

Well, I think there's a difference between a guy like Shenault or Zack Moss whose durability questions come from style and a guy like Lewis or Biadasz who potentially has a degenerative condition. Obviously, you accept the risk of Shenault or Moss missing a couple games per year if you think they're talented enough. With the other two, if they do have a degenerative condition, you're staring at a ticking clock on their career. You have to weigh how long they'll play and how long they can maintain their play.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Well, I think there's a difference between a guy like Shenault or Zack Moss whose durability questions come from style and a guy like Lewis or Biadasz who potentially has a degenerative condition. Obviously, you accept the risk of Shenault or Moss missing a couple games per year if you think they're talented enough. With the other two, if they do have a degenerative condition, you're staring at a ticking clock on their career. You have to weigh how long they'll play and how long they can maintain their play.

Yeah when its degenerative I get it but sometimes its like oh he dealt with some injuries in college whether it be soft tissue or bone bruises and teams pass on them for less talented players. That's how great teams continue to get steals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Teams talking to the Redskins about trading up to 2 

I don't know if I'm in the minority and I know the media narrative usually pitches it the other way around, but they absolutely should be considering a trade down if those offers are good. No 2nd round pick, a bunch of holes to fill and the BPA plays at a position of strength. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Haha exactly. Starting to think the clearest picture heading in was what everyone thought about a week ago. 

Shane P Hallam used to always say he used to get the best mock draft results by “opening” his eyes and ears 14 days before the draft and then closing them 7 days before.