New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

19 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Ok see when the children leave adults can have rational conversations...

I agree, to a degree with what you say,

"He see's pressure when it's not there." "Afraid to hold onto the ball and let plays develop."  I think these two things have been semi true the last 2 years. I think it's a combination of factors though and not strictly, Carr is a scared due to past injuries.

Now as far as Carr running in the open field. That is just strictly a difference in personal style. I want my QB to get out of bounds and slide ASAP. I dont want to risk any sort of collision outside of the pocket. I'll take the ability to take 5 more snaps rather then my QB trying to be a hero and getting 5 more yards. 

Now for the "deep ball confidence is gone" comment is the most interesting one. I feel like that is 100% undeniably a result of his supporting cast and his lack of confidence in them to make a play.

I can agree with this somewhat it's just for example the safety comes up he's flat footed put a move on that guy sometime you don't always have to give yourself up I hate seeing nothing but open field if he just had attempted to shake the guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

This where my gunslinger take comes in. A true gunslinger tries to place the ball in a spot the WR can make a play on it. He doesn't give two Fs if the WR has dropped balls previously (has a short memory) or if the DB appears to be able to make a play (50/50 ball). He throws the ball to the WR anyways. Because in that moment, he NEEDS the WR to make that play. Even if it's just to keep the defense honest. 

Most QBs don't live on those throws (Favre did) and neither does Carr. But IMO Carr refuses to try to make those. Almost like he misses them on purpose (no way to prove that). 

Throws way out of bound where not even his WR has a chance at it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

So they got lucky with the wrs/tes? 
or did rivers make them relevant?

I think Gates would’ve been legit with anyone. Sproles and VJ were successful elsewhere, and I believe Keenan will continue to ball. 

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

We get it you hate Carr.  

Can you say one single nice thing about him?  Does he do anything to your liking?

No you don't get it, I don't hate Carr, but I've pointed out how his game is not the same since 2016 and it's only been this year since I've soured on Carr completely but I will support him if we keep him hoping he can get back to his old self but I just don't see it. I think somebody that plays un -afraid would make the offense better even if they make more mistakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

So they got lucky drafting 

Or Rivers benefitted from a FO that knew what it was doing for a while. Specifically benefitting from the Eli trade early on when he had his most success.

Rivers has fire and he competes, but he also checks down a lot and throws a ton of picks. 

Edited by Geezy

30 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Interesting so you don’t think it’s the play calling? cause I’ve seen that thrown around before. Esp with gruden lately 

I actually agree with your post except the bold. I think the bold is him not wanting to stay the extra second in the pocket to let wrs get deep

I think less deep shots are called with Gruden yes. I think the offense dictates short and intermediate passes.

But Gruden loves the PA deep shot. In this particular case I think the biggest things that killed Carr iin 2019 was his PA fakes. I have never noticed it before but they were very poor in 2019. I expect it to be emphasized this offseason by Gruden because it was glaring. 

That may be the case about him not wanting to stand in there and let it develop... but that is a new flaw, so it's something I think can be adjusted. But we shall see.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

This where my gunslinger take comes in. A true gunslinger tries to place the ball in a spot the WR can make a play on it. He doesn't give two Fs if the WR has dropped balls previously (has a short memory) or if the DB appears to be able to make a play (50/50 ball). He throws the ball to the WR anyways. Because in that moment, he NEEDS the WR to make that play. Even if it's just to keep the defense honest. 

Most QBs don't live on those throws (Favre did) and neither does Carr. But IMO Carr refuses to try to make those. Almost like he misses them on purpose (no way to prove that). 

Let's see if that is the case this year. I expect Carr to have more trust with Tyrell, Renefrow and Waller, therefore giving them more chances to make a play. 

I don't think being a gunslinger is necessarily a good thing. Turnovers are debilitating to team success--especially when the defense isn't causing many. Give me Carr easily over Philip Rivers, and I think the Chargers would have won more games with Carr this past season.

Carr is conservative and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The greatest QB of all time is conservative. I also think it's clear Carr's conservative play is influenced at least partly by Gruden. Carr isn't in a position to attack the field from shotgun as often as most of his peers, and he often has less targets at his disposal on a given play.

I think it's important that for me, and others, Carr didn't--I repeat, didn't--have a bad season in 2019. I maintain he had a good season. So the argument that "Carr isn't good because he doesn't have weapons" isn't one I'm making. I'm saying he's good despite not having great weapons and questionable play-calling.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I can agree with this somewhat it's just for example the safety comes up he's flat footed put a move on that guy sometime you don't always have to give yourself up I hate seeing nothing but open field if he just had attempted to shake the guy.

I mean that is not Carr's game though he isnt Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick. He's not out there "shaking guys" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think being a gunslinger is necessarily a good thing. Turnovers are debilitating to team success--especially when the defense isn't causing many. Give me Carr easily over Philip Rivers, and I think the Chargers would have won more games with Carr this past season.

Carr is conservative and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The greatest QB of all time is conservative. I also think it's clear Carr's conservative play is influenced at least partly by Gruden. Carr isn't in a position to attack the field from shotgun as often as most of his peers, and he often has less targets at his disposal on a given play.

I think it's important that for me, and others, Carr didn't--I repeat, didn't--have a bad season in 2019. I maintain he had a good season. So the argument that "Carr isn't good because he doesn't have weapons" isn't one I'm making. I'm saying he's good despite not having great weapons and questionable play-calling.

For me, it's about situational awareness. A true gunslinger is a bad thing (like you said). For example, I don't want Winston because of this. A QB needs to know the situation and how to play based on that. Sometimes, managing a game is good. Other times, the QB has to switch gears. 

Can't be a complete game manager or gunslinger. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

So they got lucky with the wrs/tes? 
or did rivers make them relevant?

I personally believe they are good at scouting players which is why they’ve always been good. The Steelers are also very good at scouting WRs. Not every franchise is incompetent like the 2000’s Raiders.