The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

I feel like there are several possible reasons for that but thanks for sharing @11sanchez11

Guys are getting better and therefore less holes in their game

Also I think some guys are terrified of getting KO'd and having that gif plastered all over the internet much like defense has gone away in the NBA because guys are afraid of getting posterized and make Sportscenter for a bad thing

Also guys have some experience in stopping a shot or some BJJ whereas long ago once guys got taken down, they were as good as done

34 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Guys are getting better and therefore less holes in their game

I vote for this sort of. I think they are becoming better at their weak point, but not their strong point. That is the best wrestlers and grapplers aren't better at that than they were. The best strikers aren't better at that than in the past. But the wrestlers are now better on their feet and the strikers are better on the ground (and stopping the opponent from getting them on the ground). You simply can't win with massive holes in your game unless you Khabib on the ground level dominant. Fighters aren't winning more with their weak spot but they are defending their weak spot better so that they don't get finished.

I think instead of discrediting Jones like he's slipping, we should credit his competition.

I've said this for a while. Jones is most vulnerable with guys pushing forward and up in his face, bringing the fight to him. DC, Anthony Smith, those guys tried to fight strategically. Gusty in 1st fight, Thiago, Dom all brought the fight to him.

Reyes is a savage and gonna be champ but not until he works on his gas tank. I think Stipe Miocic is gonna be a problem for Jones with his style of fighting

Jones would be an idiot to go to HW and fight Stipe right now. He has A LOT to work on if he thinks he's got a chance in that fight. If he takes some of the shots that Reyes landed, Stipe floors him easy. There's a total different power in being hit by a world class HW compared to a world class 205er*.

*unless it's Rumble lol

18 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I think instead of discrediting Jones like he's slipping, we should credit his competition.

I've said this for a while. Jones is most vulnerable with guys pushing forward and up in his face, bringing the fight to him. DC, Anthony Smith, those guys tried to fight strategically. Gusty in 1st fight, Thiago, Dom all brought the fight to him.

Reyes is a savage and gonna be champ but not until he works on his gas tank. I think Stipe Miocic is gonna be a problem for Jones with his style of fighting

People keep knocking Dom's gas tank, but he started out at a blistering pace. Isn't the bigger knock his gameplan? Like no one sustains that kind of pace for 25 minutes straight

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Jones would be an idiot to go to HW and fight Stipe right now. He has A LOT to work on if he thinks he's got a chance in that fight. If he takes some of the shots that Reyes landed, Stipe floors him easy. There's a total different power in being hit by a world class HW compared to a world class 205er*.

*unless it's Rumble lol

On the other side of that, if Jones gets up to 240, will he have the KO power to knock Stipe out? I feel like he needs to use his wrestling alot more now but hasn't done much lately. Thats what I expected in the Santos fight.

man idk why tf Nathaniel Wood vs Dodson is on the prelims for this card. It's a pretty bad card, and honestly Wood is probably the best and most promising fighter on the card. I know Dodson is a turd, but Wood is the guy I'm most excited to see.

I usually don't care about fights being on the prelims or not, but this is an earlier card and it means I gotta get up at 7am to watch it. ffs

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

*unless it's Rumble lol

I'm siding that way too, but I also think it's possible that he's looked average in his last few fights because of a lack of motivation. I think it's really hard to stay motivated to perform at the highest level for so long, and it might be hard to get up for fighting ex-unranked middleweights and guys with less than 15 pro fights. I mean we saw how dominant he can be when he fought Gus and Cormier the second times, and those were both fights he had special motivation for.

If motivation is the issue, he'll be up for a fight at HW, and I think he beats Stipe tbh. Ngannou is a different story, as who knows, if he catches a bomb from Ngannou he probably goes to sleep.

If the issue is that he's performing bad because he's clean now, Stipe will wipe the floor with him, and he might get punked by a few other heavyweights too.