The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

Jones not really adding to his legacy the last 2 fights. While I would say those 2 fights were really close, I can't say for sure that Jones won either of them.

Not really sure what the deal is. Some people hated GSP when he went from killer to top control guy to play it more safe, but at least he still dominated his opponents. The odd thing with Jones is he had decisive wins vs DC (before the NC) and Gustafsson, two dudes I think most would agree are his toughest opponents, but looks very iffy when you expect him to do more against lesser dudes. Mostly looks like he's trying to work more on his hands, his wrestling seems to have taken a back seat and barely a part of anything he does. I dunno WTF is going on, but these performances are way too lackluster for a guy the UFC is trying hard to push into Michael Jordan status.

I will say though, I do think these “less dominant” performances may hurt his overall GOAT standing.

Seeing his performance in the stand up game, and strictly speaking in a P4P setting, I honestly think Anderson Silva and GSP are right with him instead of him being a clear GOAT. Silva would land clean on Jones at will IMO and his TDD was very good, and GSPs jab and wrestling would create problems as well. 

17 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

It’s entirely possible IMO Jones has gotten so bored with his usual dominant combination of wrestling/dirty boxing he has purposely stepped out of his comfort zone and gone with more of a classic boxing/stand up style.

Could also be a change in... supplements.

• Like 3

I had Jones winning 3,4 and 5. Both fighters definitively won 2 rounds imo. Reyes will learn to conserve energy the more he fights 5 round fights, he gassed out and Jones took over the fight 

Reyes/Santos would be a entertaining fight to make. Maybe for interim LHW strap if Jones goes to HW 

34 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I will say though, I do think these “less dominant” performances may hurt his overall GOAT standing.

Seeing his performance in the stand up game, and strictly speaking in a P4P setting, I honestly think Anderson Silva and GSP are right with him instead of him being a clear GOAT. Silva would land clean on Jones at will IMO and his TDD was very good, and GSPs jab and wrestling would create problems as well. 

It's GSP/Jones for me. If Khabib beats Ferguson clean he gets a claim. 

22 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Jones not really adding to his legacy the last 2 fights. While I would say those 2 fights were really close, I can't say for sure that Jones won either of them.

Not really sure what the deal is. Some people hated GSP when he went from killer to top control guy to play it more safe, but at least he still dominated his opponents. The odd thing with Jones is he had decisive wins vs DC (before the NC) and Gustafsson, two dudes I think most would agree are his toughest opponents, but looks very iffy when you expect him to do more against lesser dudes. Mostly looks like he's trying to work more on his hands, his wrestling seems to have taken a back seat and barely a part of anything he does. I dunno WTF is going on, but these performances are way too lackluster for a guy the UFC is trying hard to push into Michael Jordan status.

Feel like he doesn't really have the fire anymore. He probably did with Cormier/Gustafsson due to the history with both those fights, which is why he finished both. But I don't think he really has the motivation to come out and crush all these new guys at LHW.

The hardest part about having a title streak like GSP, Mighty Mouse or Jones isn't skill-wise, isn't physical, it's mental. Very few guys will have the same motivation they have for their first title fight as for their 14th. 

Of course he could also be struggling now because he's clean for the first time.