The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

10 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agreed. The wrestling stuff should be counted like strikes. If you throw 100 strikes and miss 99 of them, the other guy clearly is doing something right whereas if you shoot for 10 TDs and only get 1, the other guy has to be doing something right there too and should be rewarded far more for stopping 9 shots as opposed to giving up 1

I’ve always awarded huge points to accuracy. Accuracy over aggression all day long. You should be penalized for missing, or the other guy should be awarded for dodging/stopping it. 

I always use Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva 1st fight as an example of this. Silva hit air on most of his punches in that fight but some poor souls tried to award him the decision cause he was more aggressive lmao. Franklin owned him for 3 Rounds. 

Edited by BayRaider

I didn’t see the fight yet but seems like 70% scored it 48-47 Dom and 30% scored it 48-47 Jones.

UFC History shows you can’t gas out and lose the final two rounds against the champion. They will give the one round “up in the air” to the champion which I hear was Round 3. 

If Dom had better cardio, and paid attention to this trend, he’d be the champ. You can’t lose the final two rounds, and have a 50/50 round in the 3rd, if you wanna become champion. Period. 

3 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Yes because its much harder to take a human down. Its the hardest thing in MMA to do. Take downs have always scored big in the UFC

The question is should they? Also is THAT much more difficult than defending the shot? I mean is getting 1 TD that much more impressive than stopping 6 attempts? If a striker throws 100 punches and lands 10 is that more impressive than the guy who just dodged 90 shots?

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I didn’t see the fight yet but seems like 70% scored it 48-47 Dom and 30% scored it 48-47 Jones.

UFC History shows you can’t gas out and lose the final two rounds against the champion. They will give the one round “up in the air” to the champion which I hear was Round 3. 

If Dom had better cardio, and paid attention to this trend, he’d be the champ. You can’t lose the final two rounds, and have a 50/50 round in the 3rd, if you wanna become champion. Period. 

Let me ask you this, if everything is the same except Dom dropped Jon with 2 seconds left in the 3rd and had 0 follow up punches, is Jones still the champ?

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Let me ask you this, if everything is the same except Dom dropped Jon with 2 seconds left in the 3rd and had 0 follow up punches, is Jones still the champ?

All depends who won the entire Round 3. If Jones won most of it, even closely, one knockdown with zero follow up isn’t gonna make much of a difference. 

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The question is should they? Also is THAT much more difficult than defending the shot? I mean is getting 1 TD that much more impressive than stopping 6 attempts? If a striker throws 100 punches and lands 10 is that more impressive than the guy who just dodged 90 shots?

Lmao no... you don’t get points what so ever for inaccurate aggression. I’d actually take points for being so ridiculously sloppy and inaccurate. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, Bearerofnews said:

Guy, even if we want to discredit all 3 judges. You have 3 pretty qualified experts on the commentating team making no huge gripes at all with the Jones win. Only thing they disagree with is 4-1 Jones. Which we all disagree with.

Stop pushing this as some egregious decision like we've seen in the past.

Bingo. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, Buckrock101 said:

I had Jones edging it 48-47. Wouldn't have argued with Reyes by the same score tbh, but I think Jones did just enough.

Hard to win a decision when you're on the back foot the whole time. You REALLY need to be clearly outstriking the other guy if you are. If you're outstriking him by one or two, it's not going to be so evident, and you can easily lose the round to the forward pressure.

That being said, I think Jones played a risky game by relying on the judges giving him one round from the first three. Think he could have been more aggressive at the end, when Reyes was gassed, but easier said than done.

Just like his last fight, felt Jones did just enough to win. Far cry from the dominant Jones we're used to though.

Yeah, I had it 48-47 for Bones, but it could've gone either way. I think the octagon control is what gave him the edge in the round that decided the fight. Bones better stay at LHW though because he'll get rocked if he decides to move up. 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:40 AM, RavensDefense3 said:

dana scored it for reyes and i am shocked. thought he would side with his money maker for sure.

I'm not. Dana now can milk another payday out of Reyes-Bones II and regardless of who wins, he has moneymaker to headline another PPV. By doing that, he's establishing Reyes as a top guy even after a loss.