SUPER BOWL LIV 49ers/Chiefs GAMEDAY thread

TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Am I crazy I don't think this is going to be a high scoring game. I feel like everyone is expecting a high scoring game. Idk I just don't feel it. 

I've gotten less confident in a high scoring game the closer it has gotten. 

The thing is though, this game has the two best offensive minds in football. It's 1a and 1b. I think both guys will be aggressive even if they have the lead because they know the other team can score. 

Think about it, if we go up 14 points, do you think we will get conservative? No chance. We are going to continue to try and score touchdowns. I bet we are going to be pretty aggressive on 4th down on their side of the field, depending on the score. Two FGs for us is just one deep shot for them. If we are up 10 for example, I think we will be very aggressive on 4th down. Up 17 is much, much different than 13. 

I also do not envision a scenario where the chiefs say "okay we're winning now let's just take our foot off the gas and run the ball". They are gonna throw... A LOT. They aren't going to have a lot of success running the ball. That can stop the clock and lead to a lot of possessions for each team. 

20 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I am not nervous in any way. I am sure as it approaches my adrenaline will ramp up a bit. I am keeping it low key because I am extremely superstitious and just prefer to watch with as little chatter as possible. I will have a fellow 49er fan over we will gorge ourselves in food and celebratory champagne upon the victory of #6.

I have been steadfast in my statement that the 49ers will win by at least 10.

My problem is that I'm not working right now, so I'm reading and watching everything. Gotta keep the brain focused on something else...

13 hours ago, Dub_City30 said:

I hope Kelce, Hill, Clark and Mahomes all get rocked

I keep having a vision of Mahomes taking off on a run towards the sideline, and him being confident, he kicks back towards the middle of the field, then out of nowhere, Jimmie Ward lays him out, with the ball coming out, and that's the turning point in the game. We score off the turnover, and put the fear in Mahomes' eyes whenever he sees a defender in his face, leading to more mistakes, but more importantly, in our defense being super confident and playing lights out until the end of the game.

My second vision is us being ahead in the fourth quarter, then Mahomes waking up, orchestrating a TD drive to cut into our lead, but then we get the ball back and drain their will to live by methodically gaining first down after first down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

I keep having a vision of Mahomes taking off on a run towards the sideline, and him being confident, he kicks back towards the middle of the field, then out of nowhere, Jimmie Ward lays him out, with the ball coming out, and that's the turning point in the game. We score off the turnover, and put the fear in Mahomes' eyes whenever he sees a defender in his face, leading to more mistakes, but more importantly, in our defense being super confident and playing lights out until the end of the game.

My second vision is us being ahead in the fourth quarter, then Mahomes waking up, orchestrating a TD drive to cut into our lead, but then we get the ball back and drain their will to live by methodically gaining first down after first down.

I could see both of those scenarios playing out in this one game. 4 quarters can last a long time.

I'm very confident in both our O and D. Where I am nervous is with Special Teams....got to stop them and got to get yards on returns. I hate to see Richie run it out of bounds instead of being aggressive.

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I could see both of those scenarios playing out in this one game. 4 quarters can last a long time.

I'm very confident in both our O and D. Where I am nervous is with Special Teams....got to stop them and got to get yards on returns. I hate to see Richie run it out of bounds instead of being aggressive.

I just wish Raheem Mostert can introduce himself to Mecole Hardman. Our return game is average, but our coverage can be special. The only sad thing is that we don't get to use Mostert and Moseley as much as we used to.

Just watch Kyle send in Dante Pettis on punt returns, and he gets two TDs and the Superbowl MVP. Yes, it's the second time I call Pettis for MVP. I'm insane.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I just wish Raheem Mostert can introduce himself to Mecole Hardman. Our return game is average, but our coverage can be special. The only sad thing is that we don't get to use Mostert and Moseley as much as we used to.

Just watch Kyle send in Dante Pettis on punt returns, and he gets two TDs and the Superbowl MVP. Yes, it's the second time I call Pettis for MVP. I'm insane.

On Dante Pettis, I do find it weird he does absolutely nothing. Special teams nothing, wonder if Kyle told him to take this time to get his mind right for next year.  

The game can be more low scoring than folks think just because how good both defenses are. Yes, that includes the Chiefs defense. They have solid corners and have a very good playmaker in the the Honey Badger. Where we can beat them is against their LBs. This is a game where I wish Jimmy is willing to check it down to his backs. Because they will have chances to beat the LB in coverage and take it for big gains. Jimmy though is allergic to checking it down and doesn't even look at the backs 90% of the times lol.

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The game can be more low scoring than folks think just because how good both defenses are. Yes, that includes the Chiefs defense. They have solid corners and have a very good playmaker in the the Honey Badger. Where we can beat them is against their LBs. This is a game where I wish Jimmy is willing to check it down to his backs. Because they will have chances to beat the LB in coverage and take it for big gains. Jimmy though is allergic to checking it down and doesn't even look at the backs 90% of the times lol.

Ok, Breshaud Breeland is terrible and should also be given the Spoon v Vikings treatment. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's not terrible at all. He commits too many penalties but his completion percentage allowed was less than 50% this season I believe. 

That’s right - 29 of 61 targets completed according to PFF. Similar on other statistical sites. But he’s a noticably poor tackler and those receptions went for chunks. Almost all of the Chiefs are bad tacklers, really. They were just about worst in the NFL at allowing YAC at every position. PFF’s corner grades are wonked out - they attempting to use more subjective data points than things like defensive line wins - but even so they can give you a sense of a player’s tier because they encapsulate distance to player you are supposed to be covering, YPA allowed in your coverage, missed tackles, instinctive good plays, and other stuff. PFF has Breeland at a gross 48.3. And he’s the better of the two starting outside corners. 

Edited by JIllg
Accuracy

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

That’s right 29 of 61 targets completed according to PFF. Similar on other statistical sites. But he’s a noticably poor tackler and those receptions went for chunks. Almost all of the Chiefs are bad tacklers, really. They were just about worst in the NFL at allowing YAC at every position. PFF’s corner grades are wonked out - they attempting to use more subjective data points than things like defensive line wins - but even so they can give you a sense of a player’s tier because they encapsulate distance to player you are supposed to be covering, YPA allowed in your coverage, missed tackles, instinctive good plays, and other stuff. PFF has Breeland at a gross 48.3. And he’s the better of the two starting outside corners. 

He's not perfect but a solid cover corner for sure. Same with Ward who also had a below 50% completion percentage against. And in terms of DVOA, there was a reason the Chiefs finished 6th against the pass. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's not perfect but a solid cover corner for sure. Same with Ward who also had a below 50% completion percentage against. And in terms of DVOA, there was a reason the Chiefs finished 6th against the pass. 

Fair. Ward straight up doesn’t miss tackles though. And his YPA is much lower because the completions allowed into his coverage have gone for far less. I rate him a lot higher, personally, but I can understand the thought process. I do really fear Chris Jones and Matthieu (especially Chris Jones, we don’t handle 3 techs well). That DVOA has been creeping up late in the season - which can be attributed to unit continuity or to DVOA underestimating how terrible bad passing offenses are + the Chiefs playing an array of the same. The Patriots at the start of the year were DVOA high gods - in part because the early Miami Dolphins and Jets were terrible beyond terrible and it was hard to account for.