2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

After the tight-lipped nature of the previous regime, its kinda weird to see the Packers publicly associated with so many FA's
I'm sure most of it is just smoke, but it's still strange to read a new one every day and I'm sure Das Gute is using it to his advantage

We can’t even be talking to these guys and yet we’re being linked to them.

Schobert and Littleton, pfffff, you are negotiating with Martinez.

Hooper—okay does giving up on Sternbergsr getting a second contract?

Cleveland had a great RAS but he's pretty raw and probably not ready for significant action in year one.  I don't know how high he'll go but I'd jump all over him if he were there in round 3.  If Gute goes into the draft looking for a day one starter in round 1 then I'd have to think Austin Jackson would be the target since he had a better RAS than Josh Jones, unless Jones is just that much better on film (I haven't watched those two).

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

After the tight-lipped nature of the previous regime, its kinda weird to see the Packers publicly associated with so many FA's
I'm sure most of it is just smoke, but it's still strange to read a new one every day and I'm sure Das Gute is using it to his advantage

This is the same amount of crap as every other year.

The Packers will be "interested" in most guys that fill a position of need. In most of those articles, if you read carefully, it's all speculation by the author. They cleverly word those things to get clicks. Not even the vague "a source close to the Packers" will accompany these click bait articles.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

The Packers will be "interested" in most guys that fill a position of need. In most of those articles, if you read carefully, it's all speculation by the author. They cleverly word those things to get clicks. Not even the vague "a source close to the Packers" will accompany these click bait articles.

It's literally all favor trading. 

This starts with the agents requesting the beat reporter post something in an attempt to make it seem like their client has a ton of interest. 

What is your take on Tim Boyle and whether or not the Packers should draft a QB in April ?

I don't think a late round guy will surpass Boyle and given that, I'm not sure the Packers will carry him on the 53.
So why bother investing a 2020 pick ? The Packers already have the developmental QB on the roster

40 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I like Manny Wilkins better than Tim Boyle.

What would that like be based on ?
We've seen nothing from Wilkins, while we've seen competence from Boyle in preseason.
The Packers dumped Norm Kizer and kept Boyle as the only back -up, does that offer a hint on how Gute views Boyle ?

• Like 1

My list of free agents and likely free agents that I think would provide the best cost:value ratio:

WR: We do not need excellent, we need capable.  Adams/Lazard/Capable/2nd or 3rd round rookie is a good receiving corps
Paul Richardson
Taylor Gabriel
Randall Cobb
Travis Benjamin
Breshad Perriman
Phillip Dorsett
Nelson Agholor
Rishard Higgins
Jaron Brown

Tight End: I want LOW RISK cap allotment here
Tyler Eifert

DL: Lots of ways this could go.  Break the bank, quantity over quality, ring-chasers, redemption opportunities...
Damon Harrison
Michael Brockers
N. Suh
Derek Wolfe
Beau Allen
Leonard Williams
Jordan Phillips
Shelby Harris
Arik Armstead
Vernon Butler
A'Shawn Robinson
Nick Williams

ILB: Preferably stop gap and draft.  Every big money ILB I see very little separation between Martinez and them.  Where they're better at run stopping they're worse at pass coverage and vice versa. 
Alec Ogletree
Danny Trevathan
Kyle Van Noy
Kamalei Correa

Cornerback: With or without Tramon coming back, I want to add a veteran here.  This position CANNOT become a position of weakness.
Xavier Rhodes
Josh Norman
Prince Amukamara
Any other reclamation project CB that wants a one year deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

What would that like be based on ?
We've seen nothing from Wilkins, while we've seen competence from Boyle in preseason.
The Packers dumped Norm Kizer and kept Boyle as the only back -up, does that offer a hint on how Gute views Boyle ?

I just think Wilkins has better tools to work with. 

Boyle just doesn't excite me as much. Either way, they were both UDFA's for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

My list of free agents and likely free agents that I think would provide the best cost:value ratio:

WR: We do not need excellent, we need capable.  Adams/Lazard/Capable/2nd or 3rd round rookie is a good receiving corps
Paul Richardson
Taylor Gabriel
Randall Cobb
Travis Benjamin
Breshad Perriman
Phillip Dorsett
Nelson Agholor
Rishard Higgins
Jaron Brown

Tight End: I want LOW RISK cap allotment here
Tyler Eifert

DL: Lots of ways this could go.  Break the bank, quantity over quality, ring-chasers, redemption opportunities...
Damon Harrison
Michael Brockers
N. Suh
Derek Wolfe
Beau Allen
Leonard Williams
Jordan Phillips
Shelby Harris
Arik Armstead
Vernon Butler
A'Shawn Robinson
Nick Williams

ILB: Preferably stop gap and draft.  Every big money ILB I see very little separation between Martinez and them.  Where they're better at run stopping they're worse at pass coverage and vice versa. 
Alec Ogletree
Danny Trevathan
Kyle Van Noy
Kamalei Correa

Cornerback: With or without Tramon coming back, I want to add a veteran here.  This position CANNOT become a position of weakness.
Xavier Rhodes
Josh Norman
Prince Amukamara
Any other reclamation project CB that wants a one year deal. 

This is why I haven't given up on you!  Very good thoughts on players Packers may/should consider;  like the idea of getting a big or two on the DL.  Tyler Eifert if he could stay healthy would be a nice get along with a lower cost CB replacement for T. Williams.