2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s okay everybody, Gute is working on a monster.  Aaron Donald coming to town.  Maybe not Donald, but we’re gonna announce a whirlwind of movement all at once.  Then we’ll be done until the draft.

You living in one of those legalized mj states, amirite? 

The fact that Gute has not made a single move to bolster our receiving corps makes me think (more hope) that he is waiting on one of the WR's to lower their price and jump on that. If he goes into the season depending on the kids to step up (again), it would be repeating the mistake from last year. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You living in one of those legalized mj states, amirite? 

No.  I’ve never tried pot before in my life and I won’t until I’m at least 70.  People have told me I should try it, but I won’t.  I’m perfectly okay with occasional cigarettes and alcohol.  Don’t need to add another expense to my life.

Random Musings...

At this point, I think Gutekunst is:

• May be working on a trade, possibly Lane Taylor for either a WR or DL.
  • Waiting a WR, DL, TE cap casualty that he feels would help fill a hole. I think he really does not want to sacrifice any of those comp picks for next year.
  • In my opinion, Tight End isn't as pressing need as some here believe. 
  • Gute has a big picture game plan that includes re-signing/extending guys like Kenny Clark, and probably extend Bakhtiari. Then there’s Aaron Jones. But he has a lot of moving parts to consider.
  • I’ve seen posts, not sure if on this forum or another, that suggest Gute restructure Rodgers’ big contract to create additional cap space. But that assumes that Rodgers is willing to do so.
  • Maybe I’ll conjure up a mock-throw some darts at a Big Board and see what happens...  ( - : #
Edited by JQ1

14 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Random Musings...

At this point, I think Gutekunst is:

• May be working on a trade, possibly Lane Taylor for either a WR or DL.
  • Waiting a WR, DL, TE cap casualty that he feels would help fill a hole. I think he really does not want to sacrifice any of those comp picks for next year.
  • In my opinion, Tight End isn't as pressing need as some here believe. 
  • Gute has a big picture game plan that includes re-signing/extending guys like Kenny Clark, and probably extend Bakhtiari. Then there’s Aaron Jones. But he has a lot of moving parts to consider.
  • I’ve seen posts, not sure if on this forum or another, that suggest Gute restructure Rodgers’ big contract to create additional cap space. But that assumes that Rodgers is willing to do so.
  • Maybe I’ll conjure up a mock-throw some darts at a Big Board and see what happens...  ( - : #

Rodgers contract already was restructured?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers contract already was restructured?

Not to my knowledge. That would be BIG NEWS if it did happen, would it not?

My point is that I’ve seen some forum posts that suggest the Packers can create extra cap space by restructuring Aaron Rodgers’ big dollar contract. That would necessitate Rodgers agreeing to do so. And that AG#20, may not be forthcoming. 

Hopefully that clarifies my initial comment.

3 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

That would be BIG NEWS if it did happen, would it not?

They re-did the deal at the end of last year so they could spread it into 2019 as well as future years

There's really not much you can do on AR's contract and he has a $5.2M roster bonus due today.
There are other deals like Z or Adams that you can do, but there's not much re-structuring available with AR

Really, the only way to reduce his cap is to have him take less

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

"Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020."

Edited by Shanedorf