Packers hiring former MN Jerry Gray

Pugger

He was let go from the Vikings, I don't know the reasoning. He had good years as a DB coach for them. He is replacing Jason Simmons who has been a McCarthy Era holdover and I think took the Capers DB schooling and applied it to his time under Pettine. I know that Gray's DB's played a lot different style than Green Bays. I think Gray's style maybe for the better for the defense.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

He was let go from the Vikings, I don't know the reasoning. He had good years as a DB coach for them. He is replacing Jason Simmons who has been a McCarthy Era holdover and I think took the Capers DB schooling and applied it to his time under Pettine. I know that Gray's DB's played a lot different style than Green Bays. I think Gray's style maybe for the better for the defense.

What is Gray's style?

28 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

More press coverage, he teaches his db's to read the wr during the first 5 steps rather than relaying on a large cushion and passing off to another DB who might not be there.

To add, Gray is apparently a fan of allowing his DB’s the flexibility to play to their strengths: up or back, press or off, regardless of the coverage called. 

6 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

More press coverage, he teaches his db's to read the wr during the first 5 steps rather than relaying on a large cushion and passing off to another DB who might not be there.

As evidenced by the exactly 0 snaps of press coverage played against the Packers in the 1st half of week 16? That's the only one I checked but if memory serves that's not an aberration.

Every DB coach teaches the WR to read the possible combinations in the first five steps, as well as presnap, that's how zone coverage works. 

If you think we just pulled a heavy press-man Corner out of a Mike "Cover-6" Zimmer defense, you have to be smoking crack. Passing off WRs is a necessary part of playing zone coverage.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

I think Minnesota decided to let Gray due to the regression/lack of progression of our defensive backfield (with the exception of Anthony Harris). It didn't help that Hughes was coming back from a torn ACL either.

This isn't a bad hire, but maybe not a great one either. Can't blame LaFleur trying to catch up to the best coach in the NFC North though!