Report: Patriots willing to spend 30m to Bring Brady Back

goldfishwars

45 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

YMC6hSf.gif?noredirect

They can cut Carr with very little dead money.

1/4 of the otherwise-cap-hit isn't exactly "very little."  It's not crippling, I'll admit, but don't oversell it either.

The bigger question that would be to be answered is whether - with the relocation fee now kicking in - Davis is liquid enough to cover putting the kind of money in an escrow account that the necessary guarantees to land Brady would require.

Rest assured, Brady may be willing to concede some on AAV in order to be surrounded by more talent, but he's still going to have a very concrete floor in terms of guarantees that he's willing to accept.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Brady's not tethering himself to Dean Spanos and Tom Telesco, barring being offered some percentage of team ownership - and there's no way in hell Spanos is agreeing to that.  The Chargers have "weapons" but lack the foundation (i.e. OL) to make Brady find them enticing.  Folks have to remember that, despite with how the Pats managed to scheme some of this away, the way to get at Brady is right up the gut.  Presently the Chargers have 1 year remaining of Mike Pouncey (who has relatively chronic hip issues) and then an interior OL that consists of Forrest Lamp who can never stay healthy, Michael Schofield who's best asset is that he can actually stay healthy - which paints over that he's pretty damn average, and guys who are JAG's at best.

And again, I'm a broken record at this point, but I feel like that's because people just plain don't even bother to listen, the "turnout" issue at Chargers home games isn't an unsold ticket issue, it's that people aren't willing to pay the 175%+ markup on tickets because Spanos indiscriminately sells season tickets to resale agencies because he's nearly as liquidity-poor as Mark Davis is - and he's already been on the hook for paying the relocation fee payments to the league for multiple years now.

no one is talking about being a part owner. Its about his brand being in LA just like Lebron making his way to LA to brand more and then make something after the sport. Not many cities can offer that for Brady if he is looking for that type of life after the game. Him and his wife are suited for that life style if he is searching for that. Cant really do much in Connecticut or Mass. after the sport is over. Again this is based on him wanting to do more after the sport in branding/marketing himself. More entertainment for him in cameos etc.  Brady would be the face of the franchise to bring in fans whether its increased or not for the short time he is. I saw in Miami how quickly fans who werent fans of Basketball quickly jumped on the bandwagon increasing ticket prices 400% just because Lebron went there. Same is to be said for the Lakers, and Tom is the type of player to do the same at the Football level.

As for players they have 50+ mil in cap space and can clear up more with extensions and cuts without hindering the offensive play makers. So that can bring in a team mate of his at the Guard position Thurney. Not to mention having the 6th overall pick to grab a top olineman if need be. 

It is not out of the realm he goes there if he is looking to make change but in the end he will likely be back with Pats. To me this team is the favor to get him if he decides to hit free agency and not return.

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Brady would be the face of the franchise to bring in fans whether its increased or not for the short time he is. I saw in Miami how quickly fans who werent fans of Basketball quickly jumped on the bandwagon increasing ticket prices 400% just because Lebron went there. Same is to be said for the Lakers, and Tom is the type of player to do the same at the Football level.

Brady is not marketable like LeBron James. Outside of NE, no one likes Brady. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Eh... he's marketable in LA, but not in the way that's going to change the trend that people will be willing to pay $150-200/ticket to see games, unless the team is also flat out dominating.  There are A LOT of bandwagoners to be had in the LA market (you'd be shocked how many Pats and Brady jerseys you see around here on the regular - and very rarely on people from the Boston area), but those folks are also fickle and aren't a dependable source of income.

Also, folks tend to ignore that part of the "market" allure for Lebron was specifically The Lakers - i.e. the marquee franchise in the league internationally in particular.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Flounch said:

thats not true at all he is probably one of the most discussed players in nfl history. As much as I dislike the guy he is a very Marketable player. He has led the league in jersey sales for several years, he has his own brand in TB12, he has a ton of connections in the Entertainment industry, his wife is/was a model and can be beneficial. As I said LA would be very appealing for him and Chargers should be very interested in getting him there as they know they would be in a better situation. they bring in a couple of key olineman with FA and draft they have a contender with Mike Williams, Keenan, etc. There are a ton of people out there that follow certain players no matter what team they are on and Tom is likely one of them. Outside of strict die hard fans of set teams they will hop on the bandwagon once they start winning which unfortunately would happen with that offense. In the last 10-15 years you couldnt tell me a more consistent guy when it comes to marketing in the NFL that is greater then Tom Brady. That is why it makes sense for him to go to LA if he were to leave the Pats. It may be time for a fresh start for him and the team it self. At some point they need to move on from each other why not now?

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

To me this feels like preemptive hedging. "Oh well we were going to offer him $30M! Can't blame us he left." While underselling that only 20 is guaranteed or something.

He will probably have a good market, honestly, there's teams out there with cash and a window where he could compete now.

To me, this is exactly what’s happening. 

Bill: Well, I’ll leak the 2 year 60M contract offer (30M guarantee only) for Tom out there so Pats fans don’t get mad. When in reality, Brady can get a 2 year 72M contract FULLY guaranteed by the Raiders or Chargers. 

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

To me this feels like preemptive hedging. "Oh well we were going to offer him $30M! Can't blame us he left." While underselling that only 20 is guaranteed or something.

If it’s a one year deal, guaranteed is pretty pointless. The team has virtually no incentive not to give generous GTD dollars.

25 minutes ago, TB Doug22 said:

If Brady wants more offensive weapons, I know a team in Florida that needs a QB..

It's better than spending $30M on Winston.

I don't know what the status on Brady's arm strength is, but Arians scheme puts a lot of stress on it. Arians is also the kind of dude that won't change his scheme to suit a player. Arians offense is super vertical, there aren't many checkdowns that can be had in it. That would be my concern with Brady in Tampa. I don't catch every Patriots game though, so Pats fans can say way better or not if Brady's still got the arm to throw 30-40 yards downfield 30+ times a game.

• Like 1