General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

Clinton-Dix is and has always been a good player. Trust me, if we sign him, not many will complain about his play. However, it just makes no sense letting Ward walk just to sign Clinton-Dix. If you let Ward walk, it's because you trust Moore to step in or you will just draft a safety in the first round. I'd assume it's the former though and they will go with Moore. People like mentioned Moore's bad angles on a few plays, but in coverage he was awesome and always in the right position. Ward was just dang near elite this past season but was this just a career year or is that who he will be going forward as long as he stays healthy? 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Clinton-Dix is and has always been a good player. Trust me, if we sign him, not many will complain about his play. However, it just makes no sense letting Ward walk just to sign Clinton-Dix. If you let Ward walk, it's because you trust Moore to step in or you will just draft a safety in the first round. I'd assume it's the former though and they will go with Moore. People like mentioned Moore's bad angles on a few plays, but in coverage he was awesome and always in the right position. Ward was just dang near elite this past season but was this just a career year or is that who he will be going forward as long as he stays healthy? 

I think Ward hits the market, but if other teams aren't willing to give him more than 2-3 years, he might come back here for a one year deal. If he shows he can play two almost full years (minus the first three games of 2019), then maybe teams will take a risk on a multi year deal.

8 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think Ward hits the market, but if other teams aren't willing to give him more than 2-3 years, he might come back here for a one year deal. If he shows he can play two almost full years (minus the first three games of 2019), then maybe teams will take a risk on a multi year deal.

I don't think he comes back on a one year deal. He will just settle for a multi-year deal elsewhere or maybe the Niners can match that multi-year deal. Ward needs some security going forward, especially how injury prone he's been. But if we can bring him back, I would be so much better with our safety situation as even if he is to go down, Moore can step right in. 

But are other teams willing to give him multi years, given his history? He might, with low guarantees, probably. But he might get cut after one year and he would have no more financial security than he would have had on a one year deal. If he doesn't get an offer that blows him away, the perfect situation to turn a one year deal into an even better deal next year is with us. We saw how bad the free agent market was for safeties last year. I think teams assume they can get a good safety in the draft anyway. So I can definitely see Ward not being a hot commodity, and coming back to us after testing the waters.

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

But are other teams willing to give him multi years, given his history? He might, with low guarantees, probably. But he might get cut after one year and he would have no more financial security than he would have had on a one year deal. If he doesn't get an offer that blows him away, the perfect situation to turn a one year deal into an even better deal next year is with us. We saw how bad the free agent market was for safeties last year. I think teams assume they can get a good safety in the draft anyway. So I can definitely see Ward not being a hot commodity, and coming back to us after testing the waters.

Well sure, the type of deal he gets matter. But I think you can safely assume he should be getting around 7-8M a year and if some team guarantees say 10-11M? He is unlikely to pass a deal up like that one.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we go on to release Coleman for cap saving purposes, I wouldn't mind signing Dion Lewis. He should come very cheap and is a back that has had good success catching out of the backfield. Can't really rely on McKinnon at this point. 

We haven't had to rely on him anyway...

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well sure, the type of deal he gets matter. But I think you can safely assume he should be getting around 7-8M a year and if some team guarantees say 10-11M? He is unlikely to pass a deal up like that one.

Maybe he would pass on 10-11m guarantees if he feels another year with us could get him more than that in 2021 and beyond. Or as I said, if the market for safeties is as cold this year as it was last year, he might not have much of a choice.

NFL.com says we had the best draft in 2019, per Niners Nation

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/17/21140142/the-49ers-had-the-best-draft-in-the-nfl-in-2019

IDK enough about any others teams draft and who else contributed for their teams. But for us, getting  Bosa, Samuel, Greenlaw, Wishnowky helped us this season for sure. Skule, Al-Shair as depth. 

Hopefully Hurd is healthy and provides an X-factor next season. And also hope we have another amazing draft in 2020!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Maybe he would pass on 10-11m guarantees if he feels another year with us could get him more than that in 2021 and beyond. Or as I said, if the market for safeties is as cold this year as it was last year, he might not have much of a choice.

I don't think he will/should pass up on 10+m extra in guaranteed money. 

His market this year will be a lot stronger for sure 

He will definitely have to take less to stay here. What the difference is and how much less he will be willing to take is the question

Edited by N4L

If Jordan Reed is dead set on trying to continue to play, I'd kick the tires on him. You know because of that (quite lengthy) injury history and not playing in what feels like forever he's going to have to settle for a prove it deal. And I'm kind of okay with handing out 2 million to him for next season to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. I'd probably prefer to do that with Tyler Eifert just because I love him in the red zone, but Reed certainly has the superior upside, I think. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

If Jordan Reed is dead set on trying to continue to play, I'd kick the tires on him. You know because of that (quite lengthy) injury history and not playing in what feels like forever he's going to have to settle for a prove it deal. And I'm kind of okay with handing out 2 million to him for next season to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. I'd probably prefer to do that with Tyler Eifert just because I love him in the red zone, but Reed certainly has the superior upside, I think. 

Someone close to him should really try and persuade him not to. 7 concussions and the last one kept him off the field the entire season. I really think his playing career is over, or at least it should be. I get the allure but adding a guy who can never stay healthy doesn't really do for me. Even as a 2nd TE, I wouldn't bite.

• Like 2

Heartbroken after our loss this is first day i really looked at nfl since we lost

My goals for 49ers this off season 

1. Cut Mckinnon, Goodwin, Coleman.

2. Extend Deals for Kittle and Buckner.

3. Franchise and trade Armstead should get 2nd and something else back for him. Will just want too much for a guy with 1 great season under his belt. Plus who's to say solomon thomas wont have a career year in a contract year no way am i picking up his option. 

4. Let ward go unless we he takes a 1 year deal. His health still concern me. 

5. Resign Sanders, Garland, Blair, Moore, Tender and let the rest go. 

6. Trade out of first round for more picks. 

7. Draft CB, DE, OG, FS with our first 4 picks. 

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

🤓
1 hour ago, Aussie9er said:

Heartbroken after our loss this is first day i really looked at nfl since we lost

My goals for 49ers this off season 

1. Cut Mckinnon, Goodwin, Coleman.

2. Extend Deals for Kittle and Buckner.

3. Franchise and trade Armstead should get 2nd and something else back for him. Will just want too much for a guy with 1 great season under his belt. Plus who's to say solomon thomas wont have a career year in a contract year no way am i picking up his option. 

4. Let ward go unless we he takes a 1 year deal. His health still concern me. 

5. Resign Sanders, Garland, Blair, Moore, Tender and let the rest go. 

6. Trade out of first round for more picks. 

7. Draft CB, DE, OG, FS with our first 4 picks. 

Ward just had the best season of his career, he's not taking a 1-year deal. This is his opportunity to get the big-money contract before he gets into the twilight of his career. The time is now for him to capitalize on that. To me, it's either we pay him 6-8 mil a year for 3-4 years, or he walks.

Now, there is a slight chance that every other team sees the risk in a long-term investment like most of us do here and they all collectively refuse to give him a big contract. In that case, I'd gladly give him a 2 yrs/$11 mil type deal. But the likelihood of this happening is pretty slim.  

On 2/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, 49ersfan said:

NFL.com says we had the best draft in 2019, per Niners Nation

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/17/21140142/the-49ers-had-the-best-draft-in-the-nfl-in-2019

IDK enough about any others teams draft and who else contributed for their teams. But for us, getting  Bosa, Samuel, Greenlaw, Wishnowky helped us this season for sure. Skule, Al-Shair as depth. 

Hopefully Hurd is healthy and provides an X-factor next season. And also hope we have another amazing draft in 2020!

Well, will be hard to have an amazing draft in 2020 with so limited draft picks and just not many open spots. At that point you are just hoping to draft one real contributor and hopefully develop another draft pick or two that can contribute in the future.

We had a lot of holes and open spots that allowed rookies from this class to take advantage and get early playing time. Bosa/Samuel/Greenlow/Wishnowsky started or got major playing time from day one. Won't happen next year.

So Deebo and Bourne are pushing hard to re-sign Sanders. The WR core really has a great vibe and they are super close to each other. Wouldn't mind bringing him back and then seeing if Pettis/Taylor/Hurd can contribute next year. Still should be a very solid receiving core and enough for this offense to be top 5 again.