General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You know, if you don't like it, you can always SCROLL past it. 

Thanks for judging me as "asinine" just because I thought highly enough of Kittle that he wouldn't make huge demands on our cap strapped team. Dude, with friends like you, who needs Cowboys fans?! 🤨

FTR, he didn't judge you as asinine. He said that way of thinking is asinine. I do think that these are two separate things and it's important to note the difference. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well, I been saying that I'm okay if he gets 15 mil per. If he demanded far more, I'd lose a bit of respect with him as a teammate, quite frankly, and as unpopular opinion as this may be. All the same, and going simple as you suggest... being the highest paid TE fits in as 12 mil per yr, right? 

So, as a player with extra income endorsement supplements to look forward to. And as EVERYONE believes Kittle to be that "high character guy"... why should he not be perfectly good with receiving 12 mil per from a SB caliber team that he already loves and fits great with?  winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

If he feels that he is worth more and he wants more, he should go after it. The onus is not on him to take a paycut or take less than he's worth, and it's unfair for fans to expect that to be the behavior. I will always support players going for their's. If he thinks that he's worth and can get 17 million, then he should certainly not be good with getting 12. If he is, then that's great. But I don't think it speaks less of him if he wants to maximize his earnings, especially given this very specific circumstance.

Do people realize he's 27 years old already (well, in a couple of months)? Most likely, this is probably it for him. Given his style of play, he may not even make it through this contract before breaking down. A typical 5 year deal would take him from 28-33 if they added on to this deal. Gronk, who had a similar physical play style  had to retire at age 29 temporarily because his body was falling apart. So there's a very reasonable chance that he doesn't even see the entirety of this contract. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Re-sign Lynch & Peters for 6 years. Promote Lynch to VP of Football Operations or something like that. Peters to GM. Shanahan as HC. 

All 3 would then be synced together on 6 year deals. 

Extend Kittle 

Commence revenge tour 2020

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I actually think its fine that he's ranked over Dak.

Just talking numbers, Dak had the #1 ranked offense in terms of yards and a top ten offense and he went 8-8. 🤔

QB record is a very nonsensical stat though. Remember when Drew Brees threw for 5000 plus yards and 40 plus touchdowns, but went 7-9? The same year Christian Ponder threw for less than 3000 yards and had 18 touchdowns in 16 games for the Vikings. Yet "he" went 10-6. 🙂

Dak and the offense was the reason the Cowboys even sniffed 8-8. Their defense was below average, and their special teams unit was atrocious. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

42 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

QB record is a very nonsensical stat though. Remember when Drew Brees threw for 5000 plus yards and 40 plus touchdowns, but went 7-9? The same year Christian Ponder threw for less than 3000 yards and had 18 touchdowns in 16 games for the Vikings. Yet "he" went 10-6. 🙂

Dak and the offense was the reason the Cowboys even sniffed 8-8. Their defense was below average, and their special teams unit was atrocious. 

But you could also say they went 8-8 because of that very same offense and I get it, it was either Jason Garrett and co but as much as Dak and then boys flashed on offense,  they could make enough plays to push out 2 more wins....

12 hours ago, Forge said:

FTR, he didn't judge you as asinine. He said that way of thinking is asinine. I do think that these are two separate things and it's important to note the difference. 

While true, who really likes to see that word associated with them?! It was very callous and inflammatory. 

Oh well, I guess I'll try to be a bigger boy and move on. 🙄

Edited by Chrissooner49er

Judging something as "asinine" does imply a level of contempt for something implicitly foolish, so I can definitely understand why one wouldn't want to have the word associated with them.

And as a counterpoint, the word "asinine" exists as a descriptive term for things that are exceedingly foolish, and things that are exceedingly foolish deserve the apt description. So if one wishes to not have the word "asinine" associated with them, the way to do so would be to never say anything exceedingly foolish. 

Is judging someone's character based on the professional compensation they seek for their work exceedingly foolish? That's a debate for you guys. Should the answer be "yes," then "asinine" seems a fitting descriptor. Should it be "no," then the term was obviously misused and the resulting feelings seem plenty justified. 

Personally, I think Kittle is well within his right to ask for what he feels he is worth, even should that number approach the values of other position groups. He's that important. But I am also not quite sure believing the opposite is exceedingly foolish, rather just a bit misguided. But it's probably just as misguided to have the conversation based on pure speculation, when we are all really in the dark on what has been asked for, what has been offered, and what the eventual agreement might be. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 8:00 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

You know, if you don't like it, you can always SCROLL past it. 

Thanks for judging me as "asinine" just because I thought highly enough of Kittle that he wouldn't make huge demands on our cap strapped team. Dude, with friends like you, who needs Cowboys fans?! 🤨

Oldie was right, my post was a bit harsh. With that being said, it was still a bad take. Here is what you said

On 7/27/2020 at 7:07 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

I guess some of us don't think that highly of Kittle's character?! Nothing about George makes me see a guy who would demand an exorbitant contract. He strikes me as more of a team player than most athletes. Only 12 mil wouldn't surprise me at all. 20 or more would. 

You are insinuating that players who get paid a lot don't have high character. The amount of money he gets paid has nothing to do with his character. Those are two completely separate things and have no correlation. Peyton Manning was consistently the highest paid QB in the NFL, does that mean he has bad character?? Does Russel Wilson have bad character because he is one of the highest paid QBs?? Go down the list of the highest paid athletes and tell me all of them have bad character.

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

But it's probably just as misguided to have the conversation based on pure speculation, when we are all really in the dark on what has been asked for, what has been offered, and what the eventual agreement might be. 

Great post overall, and I made this same point earlier. We don't even know what the conversations have been. Bottom line is that this is a business and whatever happens during the course of a negotiation is all part of a negotiation. Even (most) guys that hold out don't have 'bad character' IMO

• Like 1

I don't like the way many of these responses are coming at you, @Chrissooner49er, so for the forum good, let's just take MY apology for the reactions and let it all go. You deserve better, after all this time. 

It's a chaotic and stressful time on so many fronts these days. Lots of edgy. Better battles to fight.  smileys-drinking-beer.gif

• Like 1

Just now, oldman9er said:

I don't like the way many of these responses are coming at you, @Chrissooner49er, so for the forum good, let's just take MY apology for the reactions and let it all go. You deserve better, after all this time. 

It's a chaotic and stressful time on so many fronts these days. Lots of edgy. Better battles to fight.  smileys-drinking-beer.gif

Indeed. I have said what I intended to say and am attempting to move on---like I said further up the page.

Thank you, though. It is appreciated.