2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

15 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I really think this year is about gettinjg good competition and finding out what we have before we just sign a bunch of guys

I would hope the coaches would see some obvious holes.  We know we don't have a LT or at least a happy one.  We have a solid backup and spot starter TE in Sprinkle, but he isn't a top flight option and a young qb needs one.  Obviously, whether you agree or not, Rivera isn't high on Dunbar.  Then we definitely need another CB.  

• Like 1

Honestly, how we handle Trent Williams will probably lean me in the direction I feel this team & future will be.

To be blunt...I want this dude off the team before the season begins.

I don't care if we trade him tonight, on draft day or even after the draft for 2021 picks.

I just want him gone. But I also want appropriate value for him. (Or close)

The worst thing for this team is heading into the season with him chalked as the starter. Then thinking all is well...

Then he pulls a fake hammy or real one, so he can sit out.

Or worse...we extend his contract to a 3 or 4 yr deal with guarantee money & he coasts...or retires.

I believe his heart is not in it, he's learning from the school of Antonio Brown & wants to get that final huge payday, but doesn't want to have to earn it.

In all honesty...

I don't blame the other 31 teams. I wouldn't even consider this malcontent. He's a red flag, if I ever saw one.

But we've been screwed so many times on trades & free agency. That I'm wanting to be on the other side of this deal. I want our team, to benefit from the others misfortune.

Unfortunately, no team has bit yet.

As bad as I want the culture of this team to improve & I'm totally buying into Rivera & coaching staff.

If we were offered OBJ for Trent Williams straight across?

I'd jump on it!

Not because we NEED that #2 wr....big time. Which I think we do & the big interest in Amari Cooper proves that Rivera does as well.

But it would get Trent's *** off the team.

Which imo, is addition by subtraction.

Sorry, I would rather deal with OBJ kicking nets, than anymore Trent Williams BS throughout the season.

And after...

Can we trade this dude already?

Please Rivera...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I would hope the coaches would see some obvious holes.  We know we don't have a LT or at least a happy one.  We have a solid backup and spot starter TE in Sprinkle, but he isn't a top flight option and a young qb needs one.  Obviously, whether you agree or not, Rivera isn't high on Dunbar.  Then we definitely need another CB.  

Watching game  film is one thing- going through ota’s, training camp and a season is another. This year is a honeymoon year. Expecting anything more than a new culture beginning to form is ridiculous. I expect we increase our wins by 100%- asking or expecting anything more is in my opinion foolish and unreasonable. Just saying, lol 

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Honestly, how we handle Trent Williams will probably lean me in the direction I feel this team & future will be.

To be blunt...I want this dude off the team before the season begins.

I don't care if we trade him tonight, on draft day or even after the draft for 2021 picks.

The worst thing for this team is heading into the season with him chalked as the starter. Then thinking all is well...

Or worse...we extend his contract to a 3 or 4 yr deal with guarantee money & he coasts...or retires.

I believe his heart is not in it, he's learning from the school of Antonio Brown & wants to get that final huge payday, but doesn't want to have to earn it.

In all honesty...

I don't blame the other 31 teams. I wouldn't even consider this malcontent. He's a red flag, if I ever saw one.

But we've been screwed so many times on trades & free agency. That I'm wanting to be on the other side of this deal. I want our team, to benefit from the others misfortune.

Unfortunately, no team has bit yet.

As bad as I want the culture of this team to improve & I'm totally buying into Rivera & coaching staff.

If we were offered OBJ for Trent Williams straight across?

I'd jump on it!

Not because we NEED that #2 wr....big time. Which I think we do & the big interest in Amari Cooper proves that Rivera does as well.

But it would get Trent's *** off the team.

Which imo, is addition by subtraction.

Sorry, I would rather deal with OBJ kicking nets, than anymore Trent Williams BS throughout the season.

And after...

Can we trade this dude already?

Please Rivera...

He’s a despicable person. Get rid of him. 

11 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

These don't always go hand in hand. If you want him gone now, you take what you can get. If you want appropriate value, you sometimes have to wait for the right opportunity.

I'm still hating these takes. The dude has never proven to be lazy before last season, and played banged up plenty of times. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

lol

Regardless of what you think about the team or their moves, this is undeniably true. They’ve failed miserably at upgrading the options for Haskins. McKissic is a poor man’s Chris Thompson and Logan Thomas is a really poor man’s Vernon Davis. 

The best receivers still out there (Robby Anderson and Breshad Perriman) aren’t really great fits because they’re mostly long speed, deep ball threats. That’s where Haskins struggles most, in my view. Beyond them, you’ve got Josh Gordon (and everything he entails) and a bunch of roster filler. I guess Phillip Dorsett and Geronimo Allison would be my favorite of that JAG group, but we all know it’s going to be Jarius Wright.

The TE market is even worse. We’re praying to get a guy with Jordan Reed’s durability and Vernon Davis’s age. 

They've currently got one Day 2 draft pick to use on a passing game weapon. Hopefully they find a way to get more (by trading Trent, trading Dunbar, for God’s sake trading Kerrigan), but right now? They’ve really struck out on arguably the most important item on the offseason checklist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Regardless of what you think about the team or their moves, this is undeniably true. They’ve failed miserably at upgrading the options for Haskins. McKissic is a poor man’s Chris Thompson and Logan Thomas is a really poor man’s Vernon Davis. 

The best receivers still out there (Robby Anderson and Breshad Perriman) aren’t really great fits because they’re mostly long speed, deep ball threats. That’s where Haskins struggles most, in my view. Beyond them, you’ve got Josh Gordon (and everything he entails) and a bunch of roster filler. I guess Phillip Dorsett and Geronimo Allison would be my favorite of that JAG group, but we all know it’s going to be Jarius Wright.

The TE market is even worse. We’re praying to get a guy with Jordan Reed’s durability and Vernon Davis’s age. 

They've currently got one Day 2 draft pick to use on a passing game weapon. Hopefully they find a way to get more (by trading Trent, trading Dunbar, for God’s sake trading Kerrigan), but right now? They’ve really struck out on arguably the most important item on the offseason checklist. 

What worries me the most is if this is Kyle Smiths plan or are we following Ron Rivera's plan? Either way, if this off-season is any indication of what the future holds we're going to be seeing more of the same that we saw this past decade. The Redskins have gone from signing everyone under the sun to treating anyone and everyone who won't sign a one year deal like they're simply too expensive and this just doesn't bode well for Haskins future. And then media members acting as if the team has to trade the best shot they've had at an true, elite level prospect away because of their horrible approach to improving the team. If we end up trading down and draft Becton and some other lesser prospect after the lackluster free agency we've had I will really start to worry about the Rivera-led Redskins.

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What worries me the most is if this is Kyle Smiths plan or are we following Ron Rivera's plan? Either way, if this off-season is any indication of what the future holds we're going to be seeing more of the same that we saw this past decade. The Redskins have gone from signing everyone under the sun to treating anyone and everyone who won't sign a one year deal like they're simply too expensive and this just doesn't bode well for Haskins future. And then media members acting as if the team has to trade the best shot they've had at an true, elite level prospect away because of their horrible approach to improving the team. If we end up trading down and draft Becton and some other lesser prospect after the lackluster free agency we've had I will really start to worry about the Rivera-led Redskins.

I am worried about a trade down!!! Chase is the prize just get that. I just think they really only valued one FA at all costs and the rest are depth signings. I believe they trust their draft board. The Steelers do this almost every year and so did Carolina. Both have been very solid well drafting teams with minimal noise in FA. This is the way to sustain sucsess. All these teams that have been trading and FA crazy have been largely up and down like crazy. They spend spend spend and have 2 or 3 then their back to bad. Draft picks played in Carolina. Draft picks play in Pitt. Lately they play here. I think we will pay when they love a guy. But they won’t over be making the Bruce Allen Sean Davis 3 for 32 mil signing and I’m very okay with that. I mean Bruce would have sold Sean Davis as the second coming with his offer and we would have ended up with another Bruce Bowen signing PRich.

Edited by ripsean21

I may be the Outlier ( not Liar lol) with my brothers in the forum, but I like what we have been doing in free agency. Our team was 3-13 For a decade had a self serving incompetent politician as President/GM and for years a lazy imbecile as a Head Coach it’s like having black mold infested throughout your house for a very long time- it’s a tear down. That takes time. This is the demo phase- and the beginning of getting the materials ( players and coaches and staff)  we will need to build a stronger team. We aren’t overpaying, we are getting young players that can continue to grow and improve, yes some are bandaids similar to putting a price of plywood over a broken window ( sweitzer). but this is just the beginning. Tear downs and rebuilds are never pretty. It’s early. Let’s see how the rest of free agency goes, how the draft goes, how training camp goes etc.. and how the season goes. Are we going to the playoffs this year? Do donkeys fly? My success metrics are much lower this year, but go up in year 2 and 3. This year may be ugly, but it’s ugly with a purpose- building for a stronger future. Just my experience 
f874f1a158f05f6ed9a338bf86335e97.jpg

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 1

The Colts cut CB Pierre Desir today, looks like a cap casualty. 

I would think he would fit that similar mold with Jimmy Smith, Desmond Trufant, Johnathan Joseph, Prince Amukamara, Trumaine Johnson, etc. as a proven veteran CB who could be had on shorter-term contract. That’s been Rivera’s MO in Carolina. I would expect to see him pursue at least one of those guys (I know Trufant is gone already), and maybe two if they decide to pursue trading Dunbar. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

they way we are in free agency makes me think we will trade down for a haul of picks. We need a lot of players. 

I tend to not agree. 100 plus million dollar offer for a skil player doesn’t scream we have a ton of holes if that’s how I was starting a rebuild. I don’t think Rivera thinks we’re void of talent. I think he thinks we’re void of coaching and leadership from the players. Cooper isn’t a 100 million plus wideout talent IMO. But he is a super hard worker and leader type player. I think his sucsess has transformed the Cowboys offense and it speaks a lot to what we’re looking for. All these players seem hungry. Do they start? Idk. But we haven’t broken the bank. Now as E said in a Sean Davis post office you believe in these guys sign them for 3 15-20 in the Davis case. If you believe he has potential and can shine here trust your scouting with a multi year that doesn’t strap you so it is a positive pay off for more then one year. Also so the player can’t just cash out then. I think the staff knows what they want