2020 NFL Combine Thread

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Why didn’t Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson run the 3 cone?  

51 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think we can get used to more of this now we've moved to prime time. Guys are just tired.

50 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Which sucks, because I think those 2 drills are far more telling of a players potential then the 40 yard dash. 

50 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

For context 

That's ridiculous that they had guys trying to do 3-cone / shuttle at midnight.    And  I absolutely agree that those 2 agility drills are great at uncovering value guys, or demonstrate special quicks / suddenness (Cooper Kupp, exhibit A).

There's some selection bias in the slower overall times, since some of the best guys didn't do the drill - but that's a staggering number to be 0.16 secs slower overall.   I get the desire to have prime time footage, but I wonder if it's really that much of a ratings winner.   I think most of the hardcore fans willing to watch the Combine would watch the re-airing even if it was done in the afternoon like it's been in the past. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TDTimes said:

Always take the game tape over the combine — always.

Both Shenault and Reagor are first round talent.  If they last until later, someone ends up with great value.

I agree with this. The Combine is fun but how many fast guys are a bust in the league. What the record holder doing right now? Always trust the tape.

11 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Can't help but think the combine schedule change this year really impacted performance of all the players testing yesterday (even the 40).  Feel bad for this year's class who didn't get the same structured schedule as players in previous years

Which is why a number of potential first round picks didn't work out this year.  And I don't blame them at all.  

I think they should have done the 3 cone and short shuttle after the 40.  The players are still fresh enough then.

Plus, I want to see them do on-field work/run routes after everything so they're a bit gassed.  See how crisp the routes are when they are tired.  That's actually a bit telling for me.  

19 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Can't help but think the combine schedule change this year really impacted performance of all the players testing yesterday (even the 40).  Feel bad for this year's class who didn't get the same structured schedule as players in previous years

it did have an impact and its certainly less than ideal.
The flip side of that is they will be under all kinds of schedule stress when they get to the NFL, from short weeks to long travel to night games etc
It gives the NFL teams a chance to see how they handle the situation and that offers some valuable insight into the kind of person/player they are

Can they perform well under less- than- ideal conditions ? The goal isn't to set combine records, the goal is to ascertain their NFL-worthiness

43 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

I agree. It is a big difference running the 40 at 9am and doing it at 7pm after being worked ALL DAY LONG. 

Their need to make this some primetime event is dumb. I wish it would go back to how it used to be.

25 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

it did have an impact and its certainly less than ideal.
The flip side of that is they will be under all kinds of schedule stress when they get to the NFL, from short weeks to long travel to night games etc
It gives the NFL teams a chance to see how they handle the situation and that offers some valuable insight into the kind of person/player they are

Can they perform well under less- than- ideal conditions ? The goal isn't to set combine records, the goal is to ascertain their NFL-worthiness

I don't think this is similar to NFL conditions though.  There aren't situations where NFL players are expected to perform at an elite level for over 12 hours in the span of one day.  It's less than half that on game day. 

This draft class is being compared to a 'standard' established by previous draft classes who had a major advantage knowing exactly what to expect and how to optimally prepare for it.  Even the combine interviews w/ coaches + live commentary felt pretty flat yesterday.... everyone was drained.  

Kudos to the players that really showed up yesterday though.  They really stood out compared to the rest of the group.  

3 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

Wasn't able to watch the combine, but I saw Twitter roasting Fromm. What happened? I always thought of him as a career backup, but people on Twitter were putting him on XFL teams and stuff already haha

Combo of two things.

1.  The lack of arm strength was evident.

2.  It's twitter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

Wasn't able to watch the combine, but I saw Twitter roasting Fromm. What happened? I always thought of him as a career backup, but people on Twitter were putting him on XFL teams and stuff already haha

His drill performance was abysmal.  Usually ppl look great in drills vs.  no opponents.   Everyone can have a bad day but struggling on the combine drill is an awful look.  

Edited by Broncofan