Why are people saying the 1-seed is the main beneficiary of this new playoff format?

Bolts223

Like don't get me wrong - It makes it all the more important to get a 1-seed sure. But a 1-seed isn't really that much better of than they already are. They will continue to make the Super Bowl the majority of the time as they already do.

The 3-5 seeds are the ones that really benefit from this the most.

This is why:

• Before this format - a 3-5 seed was guaranteed to have to play at least one road game (Most likely two) against a team that is coming off a bye and therefore well rested and had an extra week to do nothing but watch film and prepare for them. Now that's not necessarily the case - since one of the teams in each conference hosting a game on divisional weekend will have had to play wild card weekend. Much easier to win a road game when you are at least not dealing with a team coming off a Bye.

• Now it is actually technically possible (Although not that likely) for a 3 or 4 seed to literally have only home games to the Super Bowl.

Since the 2002 realignment the 2-seed makes the Super Bowl about 30% of the time. The 3-seed has literally only made it twice (2003 Panthers & 2006 Colts). The 2 and 3 seed often finish with the same exact record and it comes down to a tiebreaker. You'll begin to see way more 3-seeds make the Super Bowl and way less 2-seeds.

4 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

They are the only team with a bye and could in theory face the #7 team in round 2.

I personally like the 7 team format. Too often the final week is meaningless. This gives the 1/2 and the 6-10 teams reasons to fight 

Didn't think of it like that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

They are the only team with a bye and could in theory face the #7 team in round 2.

I personally like the 7 team format. Too often the final week is meaningless. This gives the 1/2 and the 6-10 teams reasons to fight 

I think it will be the opposite of what you think.

Take this year for instance:

- The Ravens had the 1-seed locked up going into Week 17.

In the NFC, every single playoff team other than the Eagles had a way they could end up with a Bye going into week 17. If it had been with the 7-team format then only the Packers, Saints, and 49ers would have had a possible way to get the Bye.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tom cody said:

I like the proposal a lot. For me the #1 seed will have the advantage as they'll have the only bye week now. 

But they already had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, now they're the only team with a bye week as well? It's too much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

But they already had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, now they're the only team with a bye week as well? It's too much.

This is true, still in a 1 game winner take all scenario as is the case in the NFL, home field sometimes doesn't matter. Look at the NFC playoffs this year with Vikings over Saints and Seahawks over Eagles.

3 minutes ago, tom cody said:

This is true, still in a 1 game winner take all scenario as is the case in the NFL, home field sometimes doesn't matter. Look at the NFC playoffs this year with Vikings over Saints and Seahawks over Eagles.

Eagles had like what... 2 offensive starters actually playing in that game? And their backup QB was a 41 year old Josh McCown who broke his ribs shortly after enterring the game. 

Seattle was one of the most talented WC teams in a long while, even if they had some injuries, the Eagles were far far worse.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Great advantage. Won't be losing to some wild card team that barely made it in to the playoffs after extra rest. Can't lose.

Except that’s literally what happened with the Ravens/Titans this year. If there was a 7-team format (And I’m going to assume the Chiefs would’ve wiped the floor with the Steelers so that the divisional matchup would be Titans/Ravens) what changes that would make it so the Ravens don’t lay an egg and lose like they did?

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

Booooooo!

We do not need seven teams in the playoffs.  And this is coming from a fan of a team who's been 9-7 for four straight seasons, and would have benefited from these rules.

Also, **** 17 games.  Luck with injuries will be an even bigger factor in team success now, and I think I can safely say no one wants injuries to be the thing that decides a season for any team, good or bad.

The bye for the 2nd seed is incredibly valuable.

• The hone game is not the main reason - 25%
  • The rest is not the main reason. - 25%
  • The not having to play an extra playoff game is the main reason - 50%

SB Champs since 1990:

• 1 seed - 14
  • 2 seed - 8
  • all other seeds combined - 8

* of course the % are estimates.