Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

17 minutes ago, theJ said:

When things are free, people will use more of it.  I have a HDHP.  I won't be going to the hospital for this virus (if i catch it) unless it's absolutely necessary.  And that's how it should be.

No, it's not. You're a perfect example of why the US is less able to handle a pandemic than other countries with universal health care. When enough people who have a serious, transmittable illness don't go to the doctor, people die. It might not be you, but when thousands of people do the same mental math you do, it will be someone.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, it's not. This you're a perfect example of why the US is less able to handle a pandemic than other countries with universal health care. When enough people who have a serious, transmittable illness don't go to the doctor, people die. It might not be you, but when thousands of people do the same mental math you do, it will be someone.

So, let's get this straight.  I get a cough, a mild fever, and just need to rest.  And i should run to the doctor?  Why exactly?

I should stay home and quarantine myself.  What is a doctor going to do?  Tell me to rest and hydrate.  Great.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

it isnt though. but as a sidenote, our health care system is fine

Image result for the office gif what

America's healthcare system is complete dog****. 

As an expat I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. I slice open my hand with an exacto blade or get a dog bite I don't have to think about paying $6000 dollars for seeing the doctor. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, theJ said:

So, let's get this straight.  I get a cough, a mild fever, and just need to rest.  And i should run to the doctor?  Why exactly?

I should stay home and quarantine myself.  What is a doctor going to do?  Tell me to rest and hydrate.  Great.

If you have a fever, you absolutely should see a doctor.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

You?  No.

An elderly person, someone with decreased respiratory function, decreased immunity, etc.  

This isn’t about healthy people tbh.

• Like 3

Just now, theJ said:

1. Test and confirm you have coronavirus so that you aren't just thinking its a cold.
  2. Get you IV fluids and manage your fever.
  3. Instruct the hell out of you to actually quarantine yourself, with a specific time period hammered into your head. This is the biggest one, because the real danger for most people getting coronavirus is transmitting the disease to a vulnerable population.

Based on what we've seen so far, the mortality of coronavirus appears to be dependent on the level of care people receive. When you have a system that is designed to limit people's access to care for whatever reason, financial or otherwise, the mortality is going to go up.

I'm not using this to criticize you personally or anything. But you're one example of a large group of people who are making a decision that will benefit them individually and harm society at large. That's just the reality of the situation.

• Like 7

I agree it's hard to discuss this without mentioning the state of our healthcare system - but do your best, I'm sure you'll surprise all of us with your ability to do so.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
  1. Test and confirm you have coronavirus so that you aren't just thinking its a cold.
  2. Get you IV fluids and manage your fever.
  3. Instruct the hell out of you to actually quarantine yourself, with a specific time period hammered into your head. This is the biggest one, because the real danger for most people getting coronavirus is transmitting the disease to a vulnerable population.

Based on what we've seen so far, the mortality of coronavirus appears to be dependent on the level of care people receive. When you have a system that is designed to limit people's access to care for whatever reason, financial or otherwise, the mortality is going to go up.

I'm not using this to criticize you personally or anything. But you're one example of a large group of people who are making a decision that will benefit them individually and harm society at large. That's just the reality of the situation.

Ok, fine.  I'll use the teledoc, lol.  Happy?  But i'm not going into the doctor's office to potentially spread it around there too.  I'm not at risk.  I'm going to recover.  And i know to stay home for a few weeks.

If this spreads like people say it will, it just seems irresponsible for everyone who isn't at risk to run to the doctor.

• Like 1

The sporting event cancellation I'm most bummed about is the World Figure Skating Championships that were supposed to happen next week. Skating Competitions means my GF is preoccupied for 3-6 hours on Friday-Saturday, and I'm free to devote that time fully to gaming.

• Like 1

PSA for those of us with children at home:

My sister in law (nurse), brother in law (nurse practitioner) and sister (night nurse, hospital) all recommended that we stock up on fever reducers/Tylenol/acetaminophen just in case.