Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

Well now the question is, will Rivera let himself be pushed around by Trent and his agent by trading him at a massive discount, all in the name of establishing "culture"?  They seem to be gambling that he will after seeing what happened yesterday.  The outcome should be fascinating.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

"NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Redskins have had active negotiations with teams about trading Williams, and the large contract demands have made it difficult to get a high enough draft pick return."

WAKE UP TRENT! If you want out, be reasonable. 

His agent is a moron. And let's face it, this whole situation has shown me that Trent is not even as smart as his agent.

Both of them have done everything they can to torpedo any chance the Redskins get any value in a trade for him. 

If we don't get value? Make him report, or sit out another year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well now the question is, will Rivera let himself be pushed around by Trent and his agent by trading him at a massive discount, all in the name of establishing "culture"?  They seem to be gambling that he will after seeing what happened yesterday.  The outcome should be fascinating.

If I'm the Redskins (and yes, I've said this before), I tell him to drop his ridiculous contract demands. If he does, he can be traded tomorrow.

If he doesn't, then he knows when he needs to report to mandatory OTAs, minicamps and training camp. Have his butt there.

If he sits out again? He remains ours forever. So he might as well retire.

That's what I'd say to his agent

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f290ae21aad65a814b062

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Told y’all that y’all wasn’t getting a second. 

Y’all was delusional 

having to pay him AND give up a second 

yeah that was never going to happen I’m surprised you all thought that was possible 

I hope y’all release him 

We really don't need the ”told you all” know it all posts. Also, things could always change. A major injury in the offseason could always trigger a big trade, you just never know. This saga is not over, so cool it on the victory laps.

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Told y’all that y’all wasn’t getting a second. 

Y’all was delusional 

having to pay him AND give up a second 

yeah that was never going to happen I’m surprised you all thought that was possible 

I hope y’all release him 

Who are you including in this? Because those of us paying attention to his contract demands knew that no one was going to offer a 2nd. 

Be specific about your target when you're trying to say "I Told You So". Because unless he comes off his contract demands, I doubt the Redskins will trade him. And that has been my position as soon as I saw what he was asking.

Releasing him is also not gonna happen. He only counts for $14.5M against the cap and ALL of it is salary.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Don't the new holdout rules come into effect in 2021?

Not sure. Can you link to them? I'd love to see it.

NVM, just saw it. Won't help us this year though. Starts next year.

Holdouts

• Increased fines for holdouts and players who leave training camp without permission
  • Players under contract who fail to report to camp on time or leaves the team for more than five days without permission will no longer be eligible to earn an accrued season for that year

Said a week or two ago (no idea which, time is a flat circle in these Coronatimes) that I think Trent retiring is on the table. And I think that even more today.

If anyone is familiar with the prisoner’s dilemma, a basic form of game theory, it’s basically a scenario where two partners in crime have been arrested. The cops have enough evidence to convict them both of a lesser crime (say, theft, one year sentence), but they also believe they committed a greater crime (say, drug dealing, 3 year sentence) together. The only way the cops can prove the murder is if one of the prisoners betrays the other and confesses.

The cops offer a bargain to both prisoners, who are being kept locked up separate from each other: if you snitch on your buddy, we'll knock a year off your sentence for whichever crime we can convict you of. 

Which creates 4 possible outcomes.

Outcome A: You and Your Buddy both refuse to cooperate with police

In this outcome, you and your buddy both stay true to each other and refuse to snitch. You will both get a one-year sentence for theft, but neither can be convicted for the drug dealing. This is referred to as (-1, -1) because you each get a year. 

Outcome B: You cooperate with police and Your Buddy refuses. 

In this outcome, you snitch and your buddy stays true to you. He will get a 3-year sentence for drug dealing and you will walk away scot free. This outcome is (0, -3) 

Outcome C: You refuse to cooperate with police but Your Buddy cooperates. 

In this outcome, you stay true to your buddy, but he snitches on you. You will get a 3-year sentence for drug dealing and he will walk away scot free. This outcome is (-3, 0)

Outcome D: Both you and Your Buddy cooperate with the police. 

In this outcome, both you and your buddy betray each other and snitch. You will each get the benefit of the bargain, with one year knocked off the sentence, but because you both snitched, you both get convicted of drug dealing. You each get two year sentences. This outcome is (-2, -2)

The point of all this is to show that the best overall outcome can be reached if you both work together (2 total years of jail time). But that’s rarely what happens. Personal greed (trying to get away with it entirely) and distrust (fear that you’ll get snitched on and left holding the whole bag) lead people to choose to betray. As a result, everyone ends up worse off as a whole (both serving two years instead of one). 

I think this Redskins/Trent Williams scenario is destined to end up in Outcome D territory. Neither side seems inclined to work together, and the parties are so deeply entrenched in positions of greed/distrust that I find it difficult to imagine either side is going to be willing to take a hit in order to trust/cooperate. 

I think Outcome D in this scenario is retirement. We get nothing, he gets nothing, everyone loses, but no one gives in. I think it’s entirely plausible at this point that that’s where we end up. 

• Like 1

I'm so done with this topic. I wish he'd just get traded already but it seems neither Trent/his agent or the Redskins can get out I their own way. Question, is Bruce still doing the negotiations? Bc this has been an awful process! Haha 😂 

• Like 1