Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

It is exceedingly the more quality decision to pay a ton of money to Joe Thuney the higher quality player than to make Jack Conklin the highest paid Tackle in the game with the price tag he commands.

Even still Guard money is a lot less than Tackle money and in the ZBS system Guards are more important.

With so many holes on the we have to stop the bleeding with a quality player signing.

But then you have to ask why would Thuney or Conklin want to sign with the Browns when the money is likely going to be comparable elsewhere.

This might be a rough one or the overpays are going to be wild.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It is exceedingly the more quality decision to pay a ton of money to Joe Thuney the higher quality player than to make Jack Conklin the highest paid Tackle in the game with the price tag he commands.

Even still Guard money is a lot less than Tackle money and in the ZBS system Guards are more important.

With so many holes on the we have to stop the bleeding with a quality player signing.

But then you have to ask why would Thuney or Conklin want to sign with the Browns when the money is likely going to be comparable elsewhere.

I agree, I'd rather pay Thuney based on what we can currently assume about what they will be paid. Plus, he's just the flat out better player, as far as I know.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

If we get thuney, we will still be paying at least zach martin money, 14-15 million per year. Why not spend the extra 3-4 and get a tackle, finding gaurds is easier than finding a tackles. 

The jc tretter signing has been great  we need to find another jc in free agency. 

That said, to our other glaring need, i think id prefer rashard jones to harris as he will come cheaper. 

Paired with good corners, it will make the top of our seconday strong.

Edited by Kiwibrown

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We can afford one or the other not both. 

I dont know man.

We have sooo much cap space, even after projecting future contracts of Baker, Myles, Denzel, etc and that's especially true given the cuts or let walks we have gone forward with + the major increases coming to the Salary Cap value in all.

We honestly can (Salary cap stewardship-wise get a little wild spending wise on multiple contracts.

The Team is literally paying no one besides OBJ, Jarvis, Olivier, Bitonio, Tretter, and Sheldon

Sheldon Richardson's contract comes off the books at years end most likely. OBJ and Jarvis may not be for long as well. 

Spend and spend big as long as it is strategic and targeted.

• Like 2

Just now, Mind Character said:

I dont know man.

We have sooo much cap space, even after projecting future contracts of Baker, Myles, Denzel, etc and that's especially true given the cuts or let walks we have gone forward with + the major increases coming to the Salary Cap value in all.

We honestly can (Salary cap stewardship-wise get a little wild spending wise on multiple contracts.

The Team is literally paying no one besides OBJ, Jarvis, Olivier, Bitonio, Tretter, and Sheldon

Sheldon Richardson's contract comes off the books at years end most likely. OBJ and Jarvis may not be for long as well. 

I just don't want to tie up too much money into the OL. Beat the crap out of that in the loaded draft, not free agency. Let's have a young OL that we let play together for a very long time. That'd be my strategy.

Signing free agent LB's, DL, DB's, and TE's? Grat. The draft is weak in those areas. Patch those holes via FA if we want to spend big. But for Christ's sake, please don't trade for Trent Williams or spend a buttload of cash on an OL.

1 hour ago, House1375 said:

Just give me Jack Conklin and Anthony Harris to start and I will be happy. Probably wishful thinking but I can be optimistic.

That’s my expectation if Tennessee doesn’t franchise him. And it looks like they won’t 

I want Thuney too. They can make it happen 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I dont know man.

I exactly with us resigning nobody we have a ton of space. Like a ton of space. We actually HAVE TO SPEND

like by rule we’re going to have to spend some money 

• Like 1