Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

8 minutes ago, braylon said:

He's been one of the best tackles in the league for like 15 years and was great again last year, only missed 3 games. I don't think anyone is saying to sign Peters instead of drafting someone at 10. Just sign Peters and don't let it impact your draft plans at all.

He’s also been one of the most injured players over the past few years and is almost 40, why waste the money

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

1.)  A Tackle is not a Tackle is not a Tackle.

2.) If we do draft said Tackle, who's going to play the other Tackle spot? Chris Hubbard?? Another rookie? Please don't say Drew "Prospect X" Forbes or Kendall Lamm.

You think you can rely on peters to stay healthy and at his age just move over to RT

4 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

He’s also been one of the most injured players over the past few years and is almost 40, why waste the money

He's missed 12 games since he turned 30, he's now 38. He played in 13 games this past year and 16 games the year prior. I don't know what you mean.

1 minute ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

You think you can rely on peters to stay healthy and at his age just move over to RT

Last 2 years he's played 29 out of 32 games.

Jack Conklin the last 2 years 24 out of 32 games.

Seriously tlhough, I get the concern, but no one thinks Peters is more than a 1-year solution to buy us time to get to the next draft and free agency in order to hopefully get a longterm Tackle solution.

At this point, in a scarce position,  the options are looking like just start 2 rookies and/or 1 rookie and kendall lamm and hope for the best, invest big money in a not great longterm solution like Jack Conklin, or sign a 1 year stop gap veteran with high upside play ability like Peters for the low.

• Like 3

Jason Peters over his career has been plagued with injuries, he’s ruptured his Achilles tendon at least twice, had back issues. And as far as I can see has never played RT, he came in and beat out Mike Williams as the LT in buffalo. At his age and yes his injury history and not playing RT it makes no sense to sign him. If we’re gonna do something like that sign someone like demar Dotson

8 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

For the sake of Houston, someone tell me that trade isn’t real. 

I was thinking, Hopkins has been in the league seven years, so maybe they're attempting to get value before it's too late perhaps. He must be about to turn 31 this season.

DeAndre Hopkins is 27 years old.

I mean,

🤷‍♂️

I got nothing.

It makes no sense.

Help.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Jason Peters over his career has been plagued with injuries, he’s ruptured his Achilles tendon at least twice, had back issues. And as far as I can see has never played RT, he came in and beat out Mike Williams as the LT in buffalo. At his age and yes his injury history and not playing RT it makes no sense to sign him. If we’re gonna do something like that sign someone like demar Dotson

Let's Try this again.

In 13 of Jason Peters' 15 years in the NFL, he's played 13 games 3 Times; 14 Games 2 Times; 15 Games 2 Times; and 16 Games 6 Times including the year prior to the last season.

All Tackles that play long enough have "back issues" and "injuries," the point is he starts at least 13 games for 13 of the 15 years he's played in the league with most seasons seeing him play more.

You assume that we're drafting a Left Tackle in the draft as well.

Many respected scouting minds see all 4 of the top tackles as either having to kick inside as a guard or play on the right side of the line.

If there are 5 Top Tackles by scouts opinion (not mine) 3 of which play on the right side of the line (Wirfs, Wills, Jones) and 2 on the Left Side (Thomas and Becton), then it stands to reason that the Browns have a better chance at getting a Right side of the line player. On top of that, a lot of scouts think Andrew Thomas is better off on the right side.

Point is nothing about the draft or longterm approaches change by signing Jason Peters for one year. He's proven, will come in at a low controlled salary and is reliable to play many games.

No one thinks Jason Peters is OT1. It's just he's a very viable and solid fall back option if the Browns can't solve their Tackle problem in a longterm way in Free Agency this year. It buys the Browns time to potentially take advantage of an opportunity to address the position in a longterm sustainable quality qay next season if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3