Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 hours ago, N4L said:

**** man, I'm so sorry 

Do you have a car? You could deliver food for Uber eats or whatever. That's going to be a booming business right now 

Yes. Things I wish I hadn't done in my 20s: spent thousands of dollars on tattoos or bought a car. It's true that uber eats for the moment could be a good gig but things could change in that regard as well. Will have to do more research but a good suggestion nonetheless, appreciate it!

The numbers will balloon up pretty soon. Talking to a Rent-a-cop at a hospital close to where I work, there are a very large number of cases just at this hospital, where it is definitely coronavirus but has not been confirmed yet through testing. I imagine it is like this everywhere.

9 hours ago, Dome said:

So the people who are treating this like a joke and the panic is completely unfounded.... I’m losing patience

surrounded by them at work in a super conservative community, and it’s driving me up the wall. I’ve been seething most of the day.

i may just remove myself from the situation to prevent a major snap... 

like panic is not good, but the denial may be worse 

Can you use earphones in your line of work? 

It's going to be interesting to see if the movie theater industry recovers from this is this lasts a few months. Movies that are pushed back by studios might just be released on streaming platforms for a rental fee or whatever. As good as the movie theater experience is here where I live, I wouldn't mind just watching brand new blockbusters like Black Widow from home. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

He's a butcher, so no 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

The numbers will balloon up pretty soon. Talking to a Rent-a-cop at a hospital close to where I work, there are a very large number of cases just at this hospital, where it is definitely coronavirus but has not been confirmed yet through testing. I imagine it is like this everywhere.

The next 2 weeks are going to determine how the next 6 months go. The bay area is currently quarantined, so in 2 weeks we should have a better idea of actual numbers of infected here. If it's a huge spike in cases then it's basically like the groundhog seeing his shadow and we have another 4-6 months of winter 

I am skeptical about the summer heat doing anything but am happy that the proper steps are being taken. 

9 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

So, I asked my boss if my company was considering closing any stations, and the TLDR was: "Unless its the freakin' apocalypse, we are going to get packages out to the customers"  (I work for FedEx Ground) 

Best of luck man.  If ever there was a time to demonstrate these sort of services are fundamental, essentially...and Absolutely Critical, this is it.  And in conjunction with that...should be paid appropriately, and compensated with proper supplemental packages.

Meanwhile, some **** is secure in his castle somewhere, laughing at the outbreak.

• Like 2

Things are getting crazy here, North of the Border too.  Pics from Friday were absolutely bonkers.  Dodged all the early weekend panic by doing some shopping Sunday afteroon, and it was kinda apocalyptic.  Empty shelves abound except at Costco.  But also...barely anybody there, way less than normal so that was nice.  Grabbed the things i wanted.  Though i had some emergency supplies anyway.

The crazy thing to me, was that it was tons of like...short-term spoil stuff that was gone most places.  Like Milk and Fruits don't last that long.  If you have to hunker down, i guess maybe get a last hurrah in...but lol.  You can't hoard that stuff.

But also pasta was gone (except for the weird ones), and totally out of "preserved bread products", but flour and yeast was still fully stocked.  Pandemics are complicated in an idiotic way.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

yep

My local mall is operating under limited 11-7 hours right now.  Some of the restaurants and anchor stores that have exterior entrances are still operating under normal hours.  Meanwhile, Nordstroms just closed all of their locations for two weeks and will pay their employees during that time.  

3 hours ago, N4L said:

He's a butcher, so no 

The next 2 weeks are going to determine how the next 6 months go. The bay area is currently quarantined, so in 2 weeks we should have a better idea of actual numbers of infected here. If it's a huge spike in cases then it's basically like the groundhog seeing his shadow and we have another 4-6 months of winter 

I am skeptical about the summer heat doing anything but am happy that the proper steps are being taken. 

I've been reading reports that China has just gotten through the worst of it and people are beginning to return to their "new normal."  They've also chased "patient zero" as far back as the middle of November, and really believe that it could've been earlier than that.  Considering that we didn't hear about this virus until January-ish, my question is- how many people have already had this?  It's a reasonable assumption that plenty of people were infected in Wuhan and surrounding areas, and got out and have already taken this around the world.  If that's the case, it might be better for us as far as having people already resistant to it who have had it, thinking it was the cold or flu.  But you are right, the next two weeks is critical and already businesses are closing for that time period, and I imagine that there is a 50/50 shot of a complete shutdown.  

A friend of mine is a cop, and one has to wonder if there is a complete shutdown, when do the looters and people looking to take advantage of this situation pop up?  Because we are looking at police and military/national guard having to be out there 24/7 during a shutdown to prevent things like that, as well as make sure the shutdown is enforced, and they are going to be another job sector that quickly becomes overworked as well.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

My local mall is operating under limited 11-7 hours right now.  Some of the restaurants and anchor stores that have exterior entrances are still operating under normal hours.  Meanwhile, Nordstroms just closed all of their locations for two weeks and will pay their employees during that time.  

Gotta get that money apparently. There’s no reason for a shopping mall to be open at all right now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Gotta get that money apparently. There’s no reason for a shopping mall to be open at all right now.

Well, as @naptownskinsfan pointed out, if economics get bad enough then there are other inherent problems.  Shutting everything down solves one problem and creates another.

I'm not sure what the answer is exactly, but IMO some sense of normalcy has to continue to prevent a full scale panic.  

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Well, as @naptownskinsfan pointed out, if economics get bad enough then there are other inherent problems.  Shutting everything down solves one problem and creates another.

I'm not sure what the answer is exactly, but IMO some sense of normalcy has to continue to prevent a full scale panic.  

I think we’re closing in on full scale panic for a lot of folks real soon.

No income and little food availability and ish gets real awfully quickly.

Definitely the time for some steady leadership...

I feel like this is going to continue spreading through grocery stores until we shut down

hundreds of people coming and going every day in our store that’s in a town of 3,000

cant imagine stores in the bigger city

they aren’t sanitizing card machines, belts or shelves

the grocery industry is gonna need a bunch of time off, in a few weeks. I can feel it coming 

Edited by Dome

5 hours ago, N4L said:
5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

He's a butcher, so no 

Actually a lot of the time I can, it helps a lot

couple hours a day hunched over the hamburger grinder, you can listen then. 

cutting primals by hand? I can pop an earbud in.

pretty much just not when I’m using the bandsaw