Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Don't they even have some ready for testing?

A number of countries are in the testing phase on different attempts at a vaccine. That itself will take a while, and then production has to ramp up on it if it passes. 

It’s very similar to SARS and MERS, and one Texas pharmaceutical company believed they had a vaccine ready for testing back in 2016 that likely would have been able to either handle this or require a slight modification to do so. And then Congress cut off funding. 

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

she does not look that old. RIP

a women who died from this in Illinois was only 61...

She was 68 and had diabetes and was a breast cancer survivor.

So, me personally, I am definitely not even doing takeout. I am full on the just eat at home train right now. I think the FDA needs to put in some temporary mandates that requires the food industry to use gloves at the very least, and maybe some other form of PPE. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

A vaccine isn't actually going to take 18 months yet is it? Isn't it normally 12-18 months and I imagine they've been working on it for at least a few months.

Don't they even have some ready for testing?

human testing has already begun.  one thing that will take awhile is likely the production of 300m american units + more for the world

cross ur fingers this vaccine works.  i know they have another vaccine candidate from a different company

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

she does not look that old. RIP

She was 68, a breast cancer survivor and a diabetic.

Seemingly her only symptom was exhaustion. But they had just gotten back from a trip where they went to multiple countries in a few days and that often leaves you exhausted. She went to bed and was unresponsive when her husband tried to wake her up.

But he gave her mouth to mouth. He almost assuredly has it. His wife is dead. And they still don’t have enough tests available to give one to this man. This is obscene. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

So, me personally, I am definitely not even doing takeout. I am full on the just eat at home train right now. I think the FDA needs to put in some temporary mandates that requires the food industry to use gloves at the very least, and maybe some other form of PPE. 

Take out is safe as long as you transfer the food to your own clean dishes and wash your hands thoroughly after handling the bag and whatever other vessel the food came in. Don’t touch your face in the interim between handing the packaging and washing your hands. 

Just now, August4th said:

It’s not a bad idea.

Glad I ordered a couple yoga mats before this happened though. The gym in my condo community got shut down, and turning to yoga is gonna be the only thing that keeps me sane. I picked up books at the library before this, and got a ton of digital comics too. I’m ready for the apocalypse.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think his point is, and then what?

He should more or less assume he has it and act accordingly.  Self quarantine and seek treatment if necessary.  Not a whole lot else to do for him atm.

Yeah this is my point. Either he has it and should be quarantined it he doesn't have it and he should be quarantined do he doesn't get it along with going whatever to keep himself healthy.

I'm not saying that the lack of tests isn't a problem but it seems like they should be saved for people that are working with sick people

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yeah this is my point. Either he has it and should be quarantined it he doesn't have it and he should be quarantined do he doesn't get it along with going whatever to keep himself healthy.

I'm not saying that the lack of tests isn't a problem but it seems like they should be saved for people that are working with sick people

The goal here is to isolate people to the point where the virus can't spread. We should be testing anything and everything possible to know whether or not he needs to be quarantined.

The plain and simple reality of patient compliance is that people are going to be far more likely to actually quarantine themselves with a positive test.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The goal here is to isolate people to the point where the virus can't spread. We should be testing anything and everything possible to know whether or not he needs to be quarantined.

The plain and simple reality of patient compliance is that people are going to be far more likely to actually quarantine themselves with a positive test.

Isn't he high risk so he should be isolating anyways?

Testing everyone might be ideal but obviously that isn't an option. I don't know what it makes to take the test but it's interesting how everyone is so much more patient with the making of the vaccines than the tests